Author Topic: Emissions Workshop!  (Read 3446 times)

QuietStorm

• Stock
Emissions Workshop!
« on: May 15, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »
This is a message I just received today after I started my car up.  This message appears on the HUD then just goes away, and the only thing left is the check engine lite on.  2001 Passat GLX 4Motion.  I have no Idea what this means.  I have never had any problems, and my car seems to be running the same today as it has ever since I purchased it.  Does anyone have a clue as to what this means?  TIA

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Emissions Workshop!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »
One possible problem is the gas cap. Did you just fill up? If so did you make sure you turned the cap until it clicked? You can go out, remove and retighten the cap. then after x many cycles and or miles it will go away.

You could also run to a pepboys and possibly autozone to get the code pulled and find out what it is. You could post the code here and we can hipefully help out.

Also, if you can find someone with a VAG-COM or similar product to pull the codes that will work as well and will probably give you more detail as to what threw the code.

Other possibiliteis with that error are the O2 sensors.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »

QuietStorm

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »
I will try the gas cap thing.  Actually, I already went out and unscrewed then rescrewed it back on.  I did fill up yesterday, so I hope the light goes off on the way home after work tonight.  If it happens to be one of the O2 sensors what are the repair options...can I replace them...or does a dealership have to to reset the code.  Sorry for the ignorance like I said she has had no problems the entire time I have had her...and I had a civic before this...so this is our first problem.  Thanks

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:24:28 PM »
StarlightB5 would be a good reference as well as kraut-sled (Randy from Autobahn Premier Service) about the 02 sensors.

If it is the gas cap, it could take like 5 or 10 cycles of the car, maybe so many miles. Basically it will continue to occur until the ECU reads the condition as being gone. There is no real set interval for how many cycles or miles to make it go away.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »
apparently the 2000's and maybe 2001's were covered under a vacuum hose recall that if not addressed trips that warning.  do you know if youhave had that work done?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 11:28:22 PM »
The best thing is first to get a VAG read and then go from there.  There are a number of things that could cause the error.

If you think you can hold until this Saturday, I would be happy to meet you half way, maybe Monument, and hook you up with a VAG read and maybe a visual inspection of a few things.  We could also grab lunch.  Let me know what you would like to do.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

QuietStorm

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »
Starlight that is a very generous, and much appreciated offer, but the VW gods were smiling on me.  The check engine, as well as the Emissions Workshop! notification, have gone the way of the DODO.  Again, thank you for the offer Starlight.  I appreciate it.  The only thing I did to the vehicle was loosen then re-tighten the gas cap as suggested.  I hope that was it.  Thanks for all of the help and suggestions guys!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:54:05 PM »
Sounds like that was the case. It is very common, even on my old B5, like within a month or two of ownership I had that happen back in 2000.

There is still a code stored, so you can still retrieve it to be sure, but since the situation has been corrected the light and warning have gone away.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »
If you haven't replaced your vacuum lines, you could be experiencing bad codes.  I replaced all of them on my wifes car with the silicone ones.  The oem ones are junk.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:12:44 PM »
Be care with the silicone hoses running from the N75 to the DV...it runs right by the turbo and I melted two of them. I put some heatshielding around it the second time.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 08:21:43 PM »
Good deal.  I am glad to hear that the solution has been found.  God forbid, but if it comes back, let me know.  The offer still stands.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!