Author Topic: Why isn't there a TDI for the VW Passat Wagon this year???  (Read 1990 times)

Toby

• n00balicious
Hello all,

Looks to me, like Volkswagon stopped maked the Turbo Diesel (TDI) for the VW Passat Wagon this year.

Does anyone know why?

Looks to me like the diesel gets awesome gas mileage and 300k miles.

Was there something wrong with the design?

Thanks!
  Toby

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Why isn't there a TDI for the VW Passat Wagon this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
Yes, teh reason why is a combination of demand and the fact that TDIs could be out of the US all together by 2007 is VW refuses to try and meet the stringent us rules on diesel fuel.

Some states don't even allow TDIs currently as I recall. So while the TDI is great, and in great demand now, the share that the Passat pulls in of that market is very small.

Late last summer when the 06 Passat came out you could go to about any VW dealer and they ahd lots of 05 Passat left. I would say over half of what they had left were TDIs. The rest were a mix of the 1.8T, V6, 4mo and all that.

Now it is possible that with the changes in demand, and VW working on a diesel electric hybrid that we will see some sort of diesel action in the future. When I don't know.

Also, keep in mind, we are still in the first production year of the Passat, it took about 5 or 6 years of the last generation production run to get the TDI.

The 2.0T is still pretty efficient, I get an average of just shy of 28mpg with mixed driving. Do well over 30 with just highway driving and average in the mid 20's for just city driving.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
like Jay said it was all due to demand. Many people especially families buying a Passat are not looking for a TDi. They are looking at the regular gassers and quickly discount the TDi.  While i may own and like my TDi, many people laugh when i say i have a diesel.  If this was europe then TDi's would be parked on every street corner. but in this country unless you are buying a big work truck, people could care less about TDi's.

It also doesn't help when states like California, Mass, and Maine disalllowed the sale of new turbo deisels unless they were being used in a work truck. So companies like VW and MB get screwed.

When and if the low sulfur deisel rules ever become real. Since they have been delayed 2x during the past 3 years. We might have a better chance for more diesel cars here stateside. But untill then the politicians will continue to discount the value and quality of the TDI cars.

there is alot more to this story and i will nto get into it here, but if you really want to discuss the politics of the TDi please contact me. ;)

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »
Part of the reason there were so many unsold TDi's was because they did not get incentives and special financing like the other cars.  When I bought my Passat I did the math and found that the fuel savings of the TDi was well offset by the cost savings of getting the 1.8T (less than $400 a year in fuel savings and $3-4K more for the TDi after incentives.)

Also the leftover TDi's were generally pretty basic, most not even having the Winter package.  And no 4motion was available.  You could get $motion in Europe.

Overall I think the TDi is great but it remains something of a hobby car in the USA rather than a real money saver.  You can close the money gap if you keep it for 10 years 100K miles though.  I guess VW is/was selling the TDi to people who just bought it because they wanted it and thought it was cool rather than trying to offer it as a sensible alternative.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
though the torque on the TDIs is reasonable, the HP is rather pretty weak for the weight of the B5.5.  Almost every car maker sells diesel equipped cars in Europe and they are extremely popular, but only VW and Mercedes (if it hasn't been already discountinued) sells diesel models here on our shores.  There isn't enough gas stations selling diesels and they still have a stigma of being noisy and dirty.

I've heard that the Mk5 Jetta wagon will be introduced early next year -- I hope the have a GLI wagon (like the Mk5 GTI 4-door).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:00:09 PM »
I have driven a TDi bug with the 5 speed and a couple of Golfs with the TDi/Tip.  The 5 speed makes the TDi pretty enjoyable.  Overall I'd say the cars do everything you want them to do except go fast.  With a chip that might be another story though.

The torque is really nice and they are easy to drive in the mountains and in traffic due to the wide powerband.  The noise is somewhat bothersome, as is the smell.  Overall I prefer gasoline but I can see the value of TDi.  If I had a big tank of home heating oil in my basement I might really prefer a TDi, heh heh.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Toby

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:49:01 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="47152"
Yes, teh reason why is a combination of demand and the fact that TDIs could be out of the US all together by 2007 is VW refuses to try and meet the stringent us rules on diesel fuel.
Late last summer when the 06 Passat came out you could go to about any VW dealer and they ahd lots of 05 Passat left. I would say over half of what they had left were TDIs. The rest were a mix of the 1.8T, V6, 4mo and all that.
The 2.0T is still pretty efficient, I get an average of just shy of 28mpg with mixed driving. Do well over 30 with just highway driving and average in the mid 20's for just city driving.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I liked the Passat better than the Jetta TDI because I have a family of 5, and my friend says her 2003  Jetta is too cramped in the back seat. I read the new Jetta's are larger... What do you all think? -- are the new jetta's comfortable enuf in the back to take a long trip?

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:40:38 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm";p="47174"
I have driven a TDi bug with the 5 speed and a couple of Golfs with the TDi/Tip.  The 5 speed makes the TDi pretty enjoyable.  Overall I'd say the cars do everything you want them to do except go fast.  With a chip that might be another story though.

The torque is really nice and they are easy to drive in the mountains and in traffic due to the wide powerband.  The noise is somewhat bothersome, as is the smell.  Overall I prefer gasoline but I can see the value of TDi.  If I had a big tank of home heating oil in my basement I might really prefer a TDi, heh heh.

-Joel.

We love our TDi Golf (5-SPD) and with a chip it makes a big difference.  we don't really have any problems with noise or smell.  I do like to be able to drive it hard and get the nice black plumes of smoke out the exhaust. And on the 15" wheels we can spin thru 1-2nd gear.  On the 17's we can't.  My wife is thinking about getting an Allroad, but she just loves her TDi too much and can't commit to the change.

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:02:05 PM »
The reason they are not selling the 2.0L TDi-PD is as stated above emissions.  I have 2005 Passat Wagon TDi and for the 2004-2005 model years it was banned from being sold to any state that followed California CARB emissions stanadard (which is about 8 states and growing every year).

The 2.0L PD in the Passat is VW's high-performance 16v diesel with a VNT turbo and it produces alot more emissions then the 1.9L PD 8v in the Golf and Jetta.  For the two years they sold it here they had to add the diesel particulate filter (DPF) just to meet federal emissions standards and it still failed to meet CARB standards.

The main reason we do not have more diesels is due to consumer demand and high sulfer diesel fuels.  Almost every manufacture has diesel engine options for all models of their cars outside of the US.  Even Canada gets some of Toyota's diesel cars and trucks.  As of July 1st 2006 all pumps will be carrying low sulfer diesels, so I would expect to see more manufactures offerening their diesel engines over the next five years.

I get 31-33 MPG AC off and 28-29 MPG with AC (combined driving per tank).
On long trips where I have set the cruise at 84 MPH I gotten 38 MPG and road trips at 74 MPH yielded 42 MPG.

I don't make any effort to conserve fuel while driving, so I generally drive pretty heavy on the gas pedal (40% - 80%) while accelerating and still get those numbers.
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man