Author Topic: Strange Vibration from the Accelerator Pedal  (Read 2123 times)

Usermanual

• Stock
    • http://www.theimportwarehouse.com
Strange Vibration from the Accelerator Pedal
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »
I am looking for help diagnosing a strange vibration coming from my accelerator pedal. As I am driving at higher speeds 40+ I get a strange vibration that I can feel only through the accelerator pedal. No other area of the car shakes or vibrates, there is only this vibration. I can best describe the vibration as if there was  a flat spot on one of the tires only the vibration is of a faster pace / frequency than a single tire revolution.

I am thinking wheel bearing, however, I would associate that with a grind when turning my steering wheel. Is there any other place I should start looking? How common is this with other A4's? I have a 99.5 A4 Tiptronic.

Thank you,

Jon

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Strange Vibration from the Accelerator Pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »
what about warped rotors?  That could cause several pulses per rotation.

Just a thought.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »

Usermanual

• Stock
    • http://www.theimportwarehouse.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:21:21 PM »
There is no increase in vibration as I apply brake...does that rule out rotors?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »
Well if it is the pedal I would wonder if it is the engine mount or a transmission mount or something like that.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 07:27:14 PM »
no, vibration can go away when you apply the brakes, since the caliper is adding pressure to the rotor.  I think it depends on the condition of the brakes, some experience it differently...increase vibration when brakes applied, or vibration goes away when brakes applied.

The questions I have are:
1. does the vibration change frequency with speed....ie: the faster you go, does the vibration increase?

2.when turning at speed, is there a change in the intensity or frequency of vibration?...like going around a curvy road while the vibration is occuring?

Other possibilities are tire balance, alignment, tire rod ends, control arms, or something like you suggested...wheel bearings or CV joints.  I would expect that you might feel most of those through the steering wheel before the gas pedal, but you never know.

scott

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 03:12:49 AM »
Is your fast stuck under there? You might check and make sure you did not squish him...