Author Topic: got tire?  (Read 1925 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
got tire?
« on: June 27, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
so Jay, you have a new rear tire yet?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: got tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
Soon, it's sitting at BMW (Bavarian Motorcycles West) and should be done soon! He thought it would be done by 3pm.

He can't find the Michelin, which is what I expected, so i am getting a Metzler 880 which should be comparable.

I'm just hoping to be able to pick it up before it rains as I see those clouds moving in.

Many thanks to Jon for helping me with getting the bike down there and unloaded.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »
Wear a slicker  :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »
I'm not worried about getting wet, I'm worried about losing it with the new tire.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »
yep, although you'll be safer with it on the rear, take it easy until it is sufficiently scuffed up.  The release compound they use to get the tire out of the mold is really slippery in the rain until it is worn away.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="48553"

Many thanks to Jon for helping me with getting the bike down there and unloaded.

not a problem, gave me a chance to finally check out your house and the new bike.....both are seriously nice!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:52:46 PM »
got tire? Check!

Just rode it home. Was a blast. Need to get more familiar witht he bike but when I shifted properly it was smooth and fast (compared to what I am used to riding).

Pete at BMW (not the real BMW) was a great guy. Got out of there just under $200 for the new tire, mount and balance. Fortunately the PO gave me enough money to cover the costs and I have enough left over to buy an ice cream cone or get a beer. :)

Too bad there was so much traffic. Now I just need to go back and get my car. Luckily the tank is about empty so if anyone steals it they wont get very far.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 08:54:16 PM »
can't help you get the car today, but I can help you in the morning if you want.  Are you going to your office tomorrow?  I can take you out there and you can go to work from there.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 08:58:59 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="48572"
Was a blast. Need to get more familiar witht he bike but when I shifted properly it was smooth and fast (compared to what I am used to riding).

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

glad you are enjoying it.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 09:00:46 PM »
Jon, thanks for the offer, I have a friend that is going to swing by ina  bit to take me up there. Thanks again for helping me out earlier, plus it was nice to catch up.

Andrew, of course I can't get it on the center stand, I am terrified of dropping it. :) Can it be put on the center stand with teh side stand down? Just trying for extra saftey margin here.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »
what I do is to get off the bike with the side stand down.  once I am safely off the bike, then to put it on the center stand - tip the bike to nearly vertical, start stepping on the center stand until one side of the center stand touches, then keep going more vertical until both sides of the center stand are touching the ground.  at that point step hard on the center stand peg while giving a good rearward tug on that cool handle the K100's have.

If I remember correctly the K100's had a spring on the sidestand so when you have the bike on the sidestand and you go to vertical just be ready for the sidestand to stow itself.  (then again that could be a whole different bike I am thinking of - if so ignore this)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
I know hte clutch will retract the side stand, not sure if it goes up automagically. I am going to wait for hte bike to cool down and give it another shot. We took the panniers off when it got dropped off so they wont get destroyed if it tips, just everything else. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 10:10:02 PM »
you'll be OK.  If you want to wait until this weekend, I can show you how to put it on there in person.  I'm sure it will be fine on the sidestand until then.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 12:55:22 AM »
Well I rode it to my parents for dinner and back, then went to go get my car. When i got back I was able to get it on the center stand. I think I almost dislocated my shoulder, but I did it. :)

I'm sure with some practice I will get better at it.