Author Topic: I got my Scout back, some before and after....  (Read 2706 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
I got my Scout back, some before and after....
« on: November 16, 2003, 10:59:11 PM »
So I bought my dream vehicle, a 1977 Scout II in November 1998, it has been 5 years of fabulous ownership.  Like all other vintage Internationals rust is a major problem and I have been battling it since I bought the beast.  This summer I decided to convert my scout to a model called a Super Scout, which is the same vehicle, but with soft doors and a soft top.

So here they are, a picture from the week I got it, and the "new look."

Before:

After

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:44:09 PM by gietl »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 03:31:57 AM »
Nice!!!!!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 03:31:57 AM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 07:29:31 PM »
I like it.  Are you going to paint it or leave the way it is.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 07:48:53 PM »
It'll get painted eventually.  I need to prep the hood and grille area as well as the tailgate and all the fiberglass.

I hope to have it all one color (primer) this winter and then in the Spring or summer paint it.

I am debating whether or not I am going to paint it or just cover it all with a spray on bedliner. Since after all any paint will just get trashed off road.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 07:52:38 PM »
nice!
I now dub your scout II....
Mr. Big Dawg Beefcake!! lol

that thing is uber-flyl!
talk about a major testoterone factor!
  :evil:
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 03:07:32 AM »
Looking good Jay. I would love to have an older car/truck to restore and fix up, I think that's a lot of fun. For now it's my B5, though. :)
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 08:57:21 PM »
Jay, it's looking great.  I know you must be excited!  What's next on the list?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 10:00:31 PM »
I need to service the front wheel bearings and finish prepping the rest of the body (tub, hood, tailgate) for painting.  Then spray a bedliner in the tub.  That is a priority.

I may just bedliner the whole freakin thing.  I;ve seen a few rigs with it and it  doesn't look too bad.  Of cours eit just looks like a dull paing job, but it is really durable and easy to touch up.

Otherwise, painting will be in store in the Spring or Summer.  Probably the Maaco $299 special.  The paint will just get trashed off road so no big money in that project.

If I have enough money saved, I plan on doing a Spring Over Axle converison next summer.  That would give me about 6" of lift and move the springs from under the axle to the top of the axle.  This in turn would give me some sweet ass flex and better handling.  There is a lot of fabrication involved (welding) so I have to have someone do the work for me.

I still to this day have no idea why they put the springs under the axle.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 12:52:05 AM »
Congratulations Jay!  Your beast is transforming.  I say go for the total body in the spray in liner.  What engine did the scouts come with and what have you done to it?  As far as welding work let me know when you are ready.  I got a few buddies that do that kind of work.  One designs offroad Jeep suspensions and has a full fabrication shop.  If he cannot do the work he could probably send you in the right direction.  

The scout reminds me of when we hiked Blanca Peak.  It's about 5 miles up an extremely rough jeep road and we saw two scouts working the road.  One had a tether strap holding the other from rolling over while they put rocks under the wheels to gain some traction.  The tethered Scout was resting on the center of its frame with one wheel touching.  On one side was a rock wall on the other was a deep ravine.  

Have fun!