Author Topic: tire pressure  (Read 1469 times)

jamathe

• Stock
tire pressure
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »
Hey everyone, I had a question about my tires.  When I bought my car in January the dealership put on brand new tires.  They're Falkens.  I've noticed recently that I've had to put air in my tires twice in the last month.  Am I correct that I should check the pressure when the tires are cold?  That is what I've done and this morning my front tires were 4 pounds less than they should be and the rears were 2 pounds less.
im
2004 Jetta GLI

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: tire pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »
yes, check them when cold.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:06:26 PM »

jamathe

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 06:06:01 PM »
I was also wondering if it's strange that the tires are getting low.  Shouldn't new tires keep the pressure for a long time?  Or if I go around turns fast does that make the pressure go down after a while?
im
2004 Jetta GLI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 06:16:14 PM »
lots of things could cause pressure to drop.  I doubt going around corners is it though.

odds are

1) you used a different gauge last time and they combined to be a couple of pounds off.

2) your valve stems are leaky

3) the seating of the tire on the rim isn't perfect.

4) you have a really small hole in the tire somewhere (less likelty since this is more than one tire)

I'd put some more air in.  check them about once a month, using the same guage and make sure it is a good one. and generally don't worry about it.  the losses you are talking about are not big unless you let them go for several months at that rate.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein