Author Topic: Rant of the Day  (Read 933 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Rant of the Day
« on: June 21, 2006, 06:50:58 PM »
Running a site such as RMCB5 is rewarding and annoying at the same time. Case in point, I love reading everyones posts, that is rewarding knowing that people find the site useful.

Annoying, the weekly spam emails I get trying to get a link exchange. These "webmasters" as they call themselves just have feeder or directory sites which are really frowned upon by search engines. They attempt the link exchange to draw more traffic to their site, which has no real content but is just a bunch of outboung links wrapped in Google adsense ads and other similar ad services.

For the non web site savy person this is pretty foreign, but it has been a problem for the last few years. You do a search ona  topic, get a highly ranked search result, click the link only to find there is no content, but a bunch of links to other sites and you are no where near closer to finding the information you want. These people mix ads in there in hopes that you click them and generate revenue for them.

There are a number of people who made a whole lot of money doing this. Well folks like Ask, Google and Yahoo have wised up and are weeding out the directory style feeder sites which are not relevant.

The one that sent me over the edge today was some gal who has a site on "resources for yosemite." I guess the site is supposed to supply information about Yosemit National Park? Who knows, it is just a directory side wrapped with lots of ads.

So fine, so what, well what does Rocky Mountain Club B5, an auto enthusiast site have to do with resources on Yosemite? Nothing.

As I explained to this spammer, she missed the boat, two years ago she would be set, now, she is just going to get yanked from adsense as I submit my report and eventually she will be dropped from search engines all together taking down all teh sites she has link exchanged with.

The whole search engine thing is dependent ona number of factors and sites like that just ruin it for everyone.

Ok, done ranting, get back to work! Unless you're Jon, get back to playing!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Rant of the Day
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:29:32 PM »
I hate clicking on a google only to find it a bunch of links :evil:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:29:32 PM »

s4josh

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
At least your not ranting for no reason and you're stepping up with a solution and doing something about it :)

Alot of people could learn from your ways ;)
Josh Ver 2.0

2011 VW Jetta 2.5 SE DSG
2009 VW Jetta TDI 6sp man
2006 VW MkV GTI DSG w/LC
2005 VW Passat Wagon TDI-PD
2003 VW Jetta TDI-PD
2001 Audi B5.5 S4 6sp man