Author Topic: 100,000 ft Motorcycle ride on Aug 5, 2006  (Read 3741 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
100,000 ft Motorcycle ride on Aug 5, 2006
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:06:54 PM »
I just wanted to post this since it is coming up soon. I know gragravar and myself are going to do it as well as one of my co-workers (who has a Ninja).

The details can be found at the following link:

http://www.coloradobeemers.com/md1075/index.php?module=subjects&func=viewpage&pageid=11

It is with the BMW club of Colorado, but is open to all bikes and riders. I doubt we will be doing the full route which I think is just shy of 500 miles. They offer up shortcuts and bypasses, which is what I am guessing we will do.

I still don't have to full feel for my bike yet so I know I will probably be slower paced than some of the more experienced folks. There should be plenty of photo ops, and scenic stops.

It is $35 to enter, but that covers food, prizes and other stuff. YOu will also need $10 (single)/$20 (2 up) for the national park access.

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: 100,000 ft Motorcycle ride on Aug 5, 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:28:09 PM »
Yep. I'm in.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:28:09 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:13:10 AM »
Woot! I registered earlier today.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:49:47 AM »
I wish I had still had mike bike... :cry:

Have fun guys!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 09:45:16 PM »
got signed up this afternoon.

Jay great to see you and to check out the new ride today.  that thing really does look nice moving down the road.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
Thanks Andrew! Yesterday was the most I had ridden in one day, 120 miles was the end result.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:29:20 PM »
Here is what I don't understand.  It says it is the 100,000ft ride, which is just shy of 19miles.   But they claim 470miles.   So if the 100,000ft is altitude, and you're only doing 10passes... well that is 10,000ft per pass.  Since each pass will start around 6k-8k ft it still doesn't seem to add up.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 02:43:28 PM »
The entire trip is ~470 miles and I believe the 100,000ft claim is the change in  vericle feet throughout the ride. Feel free to contact to organizer for clarification. The ride is not for glory or bragging, but for fun and scenery.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 03:46:14 PM »
yep, like Jay says 100K vertical feet of elevation change throughout the ride.  there are several passes, lots of other non-pass up and down, and don't forget to add the climb out  of and back into Denver.

mostly it is what they call the ride.  Since I don't have a GPS, I won't be able to track that elevation change, but I haven't felt the need to verify it either.  should be a good day of riding.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »
bump.  registration is closed now, but wondering if anyone else signed up?

Jay, what time do you want to meet over at foothills on Saturday?  7:30?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
Sounds good to me. I don't think my co-worker signed up like he said he was going to. :(

I am a little nervous about the ride. I did log about 100 miles Saturday and I was whipped. 120 the week before, the same. Although it will be cooler up high, so maybe I wont have much to worry about. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »
works for me.  as far as the exhaustion goes, we'll go and just take it easy.  cooler temps will help.   we can rest for gas, and take a long lunch.  and, I'd presume that once we are out of town, we'll be traveling at a higher rate of speed than either of the previous 2 weeks which means more distance covered per amount of time on the bike.  

I figure you can lead our little group so we go at a pace you are comfortable with.  that is unless you think you'll come "up to speed" on your bike faster by following - then I'll lead at a pace I'm comfortable with.  

:wink:

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 10:18:40 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="49610"
that is unless you think you'll come "up to speed" on your bike faster by following - then I'll lead at a pace I'm comfortable with.  

:wink:

Have you seen the latest motorcycle commercial that states "the laws of time have officially been suspended?" :roflmao:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 03:09:55 PM »
Well the ride was fun and eventful. Andrew was very tolerant of my n00bishness and made sure I didn't kill myself.

The ride had us start in Lakewood at Foothills BMW, up I70 and over Berthoud Pass, then to Granby and up Trail Ridge Road (and back down). Then we were supposed to go to Misquito Pass (I think) but we skipped that and headed to Kremling for the lunch. From Kremling we were to go up and down Rabbit Ears Pass, but we skipped that and headed over the next one, Gore Pass, then to Wolcott. From Wolcott it was back onto I70 the rest of the way back.

We stopped at the summit of Vail Pass at the rest area to take a good 20-30 minute rest. We could see the storm.  8O

So we decided to get heading down the mountain, I was leading since I am not the best rain rider. About 1/3 of the way down we hit the rain and I rolled off hte throttle to slow down and correct myself for the wet and potentially slippery ground. Then I tried to roll back on the throttle...nothing. TRy again...no throttle, downshift, engine reves, no throttle. I put on my 4-ways as did Andrew and I coasted onto the shoulder of Vail Pass.

I couln't get the bike to start, so Andrew recommended we try coasting to Copper on the shoulder. I started off and even attempted to roll start hte bike without success. Unfortunately we hit a large flat spot and a slight incline. I pushed for awhile until I couldn't push any more. Then Andrew offered to help out and he took over pushing the bike while I followed on his. We got to the next decline and he hopped on and took it downt he hill coasting. I followed. We got to the exit and he coasted up as far as he could.

Now we had to get it up the ramp and across the street to the gas station. I started pushing, I was toast, Andrew pushed the bike from behind and we go it up the ramp, then, like a father with his little kid, I got the bike rolling downt he little hill and he pushed the bike so i could get more momentum. A nice bystander ran out and gave me a push as well, I made it to the light but was out of steam. Hoppe off got a green arrow and rand the bike through the intersection and got it under the gas station canopy.

We had to figure out what to do next, the bike wouldn't start, it had plenty of fuel and we were 90 miles from my house. We had a few options and fortunately I was able to get AA to give me a tow home.

All in all I rode a total of about 310 miles before the break down. I think we were about 280 miles into the trip when I went kaput. The ride was wonderful and the scenery was great. There were lots of folks, over 300 bikes. We got lots of looks and lots of questions about what was going on.

I got the bike running again last night, looks to have been an issue with the battery. I didn't take many photos, but you can see the ones I took of lunch at the link below:

http://www.jaygietl.com/v/rides/2006/100k/

Here is a shot of Andrews bike and my bike:

EDIT: and how rude of me, 100,000 thanks to Andrew for helping me out in that crappy situation.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
:D

I had a blast!

other than Jay's mechanical issue, it was a wonderful day.  Nice and cool all day, good roads with lots of turns.

I ended up riding 417 miles on the day by the time I got home. (including the 30 miles spent riding to the start point).  I was definately exhausted on the way home.

I was really impressed with Jay and how he is literally comming up to speed on that bike.

On one section of HWY 40, I opened it up pass a car, then saw open road for miles ahead.  I pegged the gas and let it roll up to about 120.  While I don't think Jay got quite that fast, he did keep up.  later in the day after a brief roadside stop for rest, a group of bikes passed us while we were suiting up.  I looked at Jay as we were ready to roll and asked him if he was ready to "chase those guys down".  he said "sure" then did an excellet job blistering through the twisties.  we actually did close the 3 minute gap on those guys that we started with.  For someone so new to the bike, Jay was doing awesome.

Oh, and the wait in the rain wasn't too bad either. at least I was dry and warm in my rainsuit.   :wink:   The pushing wasn't too hard either and I had a running bike to go back to to get me to the next push.  Oh and for the record Jay, your bike topped out at 45 mph downhill without the engine running accelerating from our coasting start.  it was kind of fun.  

Glad to hear Jay's bike's issues have been resolved with more H2O in the battery.  looking forward to the next ride.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 01:15:00 AM »
Sounds like fun!  Sorry to hear about the breakdown.  I had a problem like that with my old FJ1200.  These bikes would lose voltage regulator function and boil the battery dry on long high RPM runs.  I had to buy a bottle of water once in Walden CO to top off the nearly empty battery, and again several times more on that trip.  Some FJ'ers just kept topping off the battery every few hundred hard miles for the rest of their ownership.

If this is your problem it might be easy to fix with a Chrysler voltage regulator.  I fitted one to my FJ and never had that problem again.  Much cheaper, easier (the internal voltage regulator is hard to get to) and more robust than the stock part.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 02:13:08 AM »
Thanks for the input Joel. The real issue is this is just a bad battery. When I bought the bike the PO even told me it sucked and that he regrets getting it. In fact the manufacturer doesn't even make it anymore I think because it wasn't very good for this application.

These bikes are very finicky about their batteries so I am on a quest to find hte right one. Regardless it is going to cost me about $60-$80 for one and I just need to bite the bullet. I was planning on replacing this one in the Spring of 2007 anyway, so maybe I'll just be doing sooner than later.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 02:05:09 PM »
I dunno Jay, I would check that voltage at high RPM.  I have used cheap Wal-Mart motorcycle battieries for years and they all seem OK unless you do something evil to them.  Some batteries are more tolerant of overvoltage charging but that does not mean it won't still get beat up.  If the battery was low on water it is probably being overcharged during high-rpm operation.

At any rate if you have overwattage bulbs, electric vest, and the like you will want a good battery that is tolerant of lots of charge/draw cycles.  Sealed batteries are pretty nice but I'd be extra worried about putting 16v into one of those.

Enjoy the bike!
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l