Author Topic: Damn Rain... or not!!!  (Read 3692 times)

copassatguy

• Stock
Damn Rain... or not!!!
« on: July 08, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »
So I found out tonight that my passat can't swim through puddles.  :cry:  

What appeared to be a shallow puddle turned out to be at least a foot deep... it bent my license plate up. So to make a long story short my car stalled in the puddle, and now will not start. Hopefully it will start tomorrow!! I am so bummed :cry: !!!
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

copassatguy

• Stock
Re: Damn Rain!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »
Well it fired up this morning but... flashing CEL, smoke out of the exhaust, and sounds terrible. Lucky me!
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:32:49 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:34:04 PM »
oh man, that is hte suck, it probably still needs to dry out. Of course my guess is the wet coil packs.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:47:45 PM »
WOW...  sounds like you were pretty lucky honestly
Life's too short to be taken seriously

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »
water in the intake...up through the hood, into the intake, through the filter and through the manifold....

Mini Coopers have been knows to have this happen in puddles, except that water in the engine causes them to go down for the count, usually resulting in replacement.

I would be giving Randy at Autobahn a call to see what damage there was.

Sorry about the car, that sucks.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 10:14:23 PM »
If you bent a rod or something from water injestion and you have comprehensive, your insurance might cover it.  Hopefully it's just wet electrics, but if it's pumping out water it might have hydrolocked.

Good luck,
-Joe.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 04:31:48 AM »
Pull a coil pack & plug, then crank it, if water comes out of the plug hole, thats a bad sign. I would also change the oil, right now. Regardless.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 02:47:05 PM »
Yeah the oil needs changed ASAP... looks like coffee with creamer in it. I do have comprehensive insurance. I don't want to drive it with the oil like that... there is a Tires Plus right down the road, and I guess they could change it. It sucks not having a garage to do this stuff myself. The insurance adjuster will be coming sometime Monday... I just hope that they will let me take it to Randy to get fixed. It is a CPO so I may just have to take it McDonald though. Good news is my wife and I put an offer on another house yesterday... this is try #5 all of the other 4 offers fel through for some reason or another... mold, bank stupidity, out bid, crazy mortgage payment... I'll keep everyone posted on the car situation.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 02:52:32 PM »
If it's a warranty issue, you may have to take it to McDonald.  It depends on how the warranty is written.  However, if it's an insurance claim, you should be able to take it anywhere.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 12:26:16 PM »
Wow. That is the suck. We drove the Xterra around all weekend because of the rain and left the Jetta in the garage. I really need to sell that damn car.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
SOrry guys, all our fault. We had my sister in town and then a visitor from Florida, all week. They left yesterday.

The A4 in the rain was pretty fun. at one point it was pouring buckets of buckets coming up from the 'Springs. Cave of the winds is neat BTW.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 03:58:42 PM »
Well the car is going to Autobahn. I will know more tomorrow and then the adjuster will let me know what the deal is on Wednesday. Probably got hydrolock... The good news for the day is that our offer on the house was excepted so we will be buying our first home!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »
:D on the house

:( on the car.

I just got back from a closing on a refi. :)

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 07:52:20 PM »
The engine is toast!!! :cry:

Randy said that water basically took a joyride through my engine resulting in hydrolock. Now it is up to the insurance adjuster to make the decision of total it, or fix it. If they choose to fix it, I will have a month to wait for it, but it will have a nice new engine! At least I can go see it during visiting hours... :lol: . Or I may be in the market for a new car...  :D

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:17:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  If they total it please let us know, someone here  :roll: might want to buy the car and swap the motor.

My car is at Stammler, the cowl drain got plugged and the rain soaked my TCU.  The trans went into limp mode but it still drove.  My warranty is up at the end of the month so it's sorta lucky that it'll be covered.  I wanted to take the car in for some bearing noise or the like anyway, but the TCU is backordered so I might not have it back until Friday.  

I'll have to make damn sure those drains stay clear from now on.  There is a hidden one that you can't really get to, but you can sorta clear it with compressed air and a flexible hose.

-Joel.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
Yes, let us know, if you need a new car, someone here is selling one :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »
The latest...

Insurance adjuster went to see the car, and depending on what is found after the engine is pulled determines whether I get a new engine or not (I guess). The adjuster that I have been assigned is a complete moron, and has absolutely no knowledge of my car. Randy and I both agree she is out #$%! me. She made a reference to the cost of oil for my car and Randy corrected her because it is synthetic oil. She then asked if I was running syn. and Randy said yes seeing as how he is the only one that works on my car if it is not warranty issue. He even told her that the manufacturer states that syn. is what is required for my car, she says "I'll have to look into that". She is also talikng about getting a used engine for my car...  :roll:

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
OMG.   I feel so bad for you.   You could always request a new adjuster from your insurance company telling them that you don't believe she knows enough about cars to give you a fair estimate.

Also, did you remove any CAI's or anythign?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 05:41:04 PM »
I am waiting to see what she comes up with before I jump all over them.  I sent an email to VW of America to see what I need to do in order to preserve my CPO warranty. No engine mods yet luckily. I should see what I can add while the engine is being worked on though.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 06:12:37 PM »
I have been following this and I am very sorry to hear about your engine.  I hope they come through with a new engine.

To doubt Randy is breaking the 11th commandment: "Thou shalt not ever question Randy, for he is good and keeps our sleds running!"  :bow:
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 07:54:47 PM »
Quote from: "Spicoli";p="49116"
OMG.   I feel so bad for you.   You could always request a new adjuster from your insurance company telling them that you don't believe she knows enough about cars to give you a fair estimate.

TOTALLY agree.  As a customer, you don't have to deal with that crap.  With the premiums you pay, you should expect way better customer service.  She has no business making decisions, I would demand a new adjuster.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »
We will be pulling the motor this week and taking the head off to see the extent of the damage.  As soon as we have it all off the car, the adjustor will be back for another visit.

I will have all the numbers ready to go, and I will also have copies of the service work we have done, showing things like full synthetic motor oil and the like.

I will be ready for her this time..... :twisted:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="49131"
Quote from: "Spicoli";p="49116"

TOTALLY agree.  As a customer, you don't have to deal with that crap.  With the premiums you pay, you should expect way better customer service.  She has no business making decisions, I would demand a new adjuster.

This is true, but adjusters wield a certain power in front of your face. This happened to my sister. American Family was taking their sweet time to decide what to do with her old volvo V70. It had extensive damage to the underside after hopping a median and plowing over a break away street sign...well the base doesn't break away and rips the underside of your car off.

Anyway, they pressured and pressured because her rental time was up and they still didn;t make a decision. The car was worth maybe $30K, the adjuster, to be an asshole signed off to have the car repaired....for $29,500 in repairs. So tell me this, the insurance company chose to pay that out, instead of toalling the car and recouping costs by selling off hte car to a junk yard or as a salvage for rebuild. That makes absolutely no sense to me or anyone else.

I doubt this will happen to you, but some folks like to power trip, so just thought I would throw that out there.

copassatguy

• Stock
Re: Damn Rain... or not!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 01:32:07 PM »
The moron adjuster went on vacation this week, so they sent another one yesterday to Autobahn. This guy found a used engine with about 40,000 miles on it. The insurance company now owns the CPO warranty on the engine. They are cutting a check today and if there is $$$ left over I get some new mods (I hope). So I think that there is a good possibility that I may end up better off than I thought, and I should have my car back in a couple of weeks. :D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »
That's good news!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 01:59:30 PM »
A new motor?  I don't think you can even get those from dealer warranty work these days.  Personally I'd (usually) rather have a 40K mile motor from a wrecker than a factory reman.  I feel the first build of the motor is usually better than a reman.  In the case of a turbo motor that may change as they sometimes eat a lot of metal bits if they are abused.  For a turbo motor if I can see good cylinder walls and the mileage is reasonably well documented I'd take the 40K used motor any day of the week.

If you have a 1.8T I'd at least put a sport turbo on it, I think the compressor map is better suited to our altitude than the stocker.  Even with the stock maps (DBW) I think it'd run great.  Better with a couple extra PSI :-)

Good luck on the repair,
-Joel.