Author Topic: 'sup dudes? I have clutch slave cylinder replacement Q's  (Read 2056 times)

mghunt

• n00balicious
'sup dudes? I have clutch slave cylinder replacement Q's
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:00:11 PM »
What's up RMCB5?  Its been too long.  How are all the Outlaws doing?  I thought I would stop by, say hello, and look for some "expert" advice.   :lol:

Well, I've got a few B5 projects to tackle this weekend.  I'm wanting to make sure that I have a good grasp of what to expect.  The thing I'm most "concerned" about is a slave cylinder replacement.  I know that it is only held on with one bolt and that I need to bleed the cylinder once it is replaced.  

Anyway, the line going into the cylinder is a hard line and there isn't a way to clamp the line to keep the fluid from going everywhere.  What is the best way to make sure I don't leak a bunch of fluid?  What are the pressures like?  When I disconnect the hard line, is fluid going to come flying out of there and go everywhere (like a fuel filter) or is it going to be slow with enough time for me to cap the line?

I'm also going to be installing a new trim piece and washer for my antenna.  I'm also going to be replacing the midpipe exhaust clamp and the fuel filter tomorrow.  I've done both of those before.  :)

Thanks!

-Mark

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: 'sup dudes? I have clutch slave cylinder replacement Q'
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »
He's alive...ALIVE!

Most of us are still around Mark. Boris and Dave have been MIA from local stiff for some time. Chas has been MIA for about a year or so.

Otherwise, it's the same ol around these parts. I don't have any experience with your tasks at hand, but I think some other folks are. hopefully they can chime in with the details you need.

Hope all is well on your end!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 03:02:23 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:31:36 PM »
I talked with Chas last week and saw him again the other day. You might want and try to get in touch with him since I know he did replace his clutch on his own...I don't think he liked it either...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but how is Chas doing and why is he being a stranger?  I miss him.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

mghunt

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 06:34:55 PM »
Yeah, I know Chas replaced his clutch on his own, with Dave's help.  :)

I'm only replacing the clutch slave cylinder, just the hydraulic cylinder that actuates the clutch.  My clutch pedal is going to the floor in hot weather.

I think I found a place where I can fasten some vise grips to stop the fluid flow.  It is basically a coupler between two hard lines.

Just trying to make sure I understand what I'm getting myself into.

-Mark

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »
Hey Mark!  How are you and dad (and family) doing!?

I am still around, just not physically...I moved to CT for a couple years for work...I will be back though.

Chas has been rally busy with work, family and home, so he hasn't done much with the car or club lately.  We chatted via email a few times, and he's doing well.

Since he is the only one with the possible exception of Randy that has done clutch work, check with him.  PM me and I will give you his email address.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 12:48:11 AM »
Mark Good to hear you are doing ok.  I think I'm on my third Passat since I met you and your dad at the the National GTG.  Like many above i cannot give you specifics about the slave cylinder.  It sounds like you are way ahead of us though.

I did see Boris's car the other day taking the my son to baseball practice.  My guess is he is still living just south of me in Denver.

Take care
Rob