Author Topic: VW Fridge Mod  (Read 2667 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
VW Fridge Mod
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »
So I must thank Nick at Detailers Paradise for the inspiration...I am taking my old Kegerator and modding it a little to be more unique and purdy.

I have debadged it, shaved it, bondo'd it, primered it and painted it. I am waiting for the first coat to dry so no pics of the painted product yet, but here are som progress photos. Stupid me forgot to take the before witht eh handles on it, but it is a 20 year old fridge, I think you can figure out what it looked like.

Debadged, handles and trip removed:

Bondo'd and primered. Thought the primer would be an easier method than sanding the whole fridge:

The first coat of paint looks good, definitley will need a second coat. I did a kind of crappy job with the bondo, had never used it before and had a couple screw homes that were protruding so I tried to build up and level out. At least it's a fridge and not my car. ;) I will post the first coat pics once it dries and I can close the doors and snap a few shots.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
Re: VW Fridge Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »
What kinda paint job? flames perhaps? I would love to have a kegerator, but have no room to store it.

Jay, do you homebrew?

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:43:57 PM »
where you going to put the spoiler?
Life's too short to be taken seriously

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:54:13 PM »
Greg -

I don't homebrew, I've always wanted to, but never attempted it. Someday. I mainly just get a keg of good ol trusty Coors.

Jack -

Not sure yet, I need to find the right one.

Here are the promised first coat pics. My really crappy bondo job is completely noticeable, I should pat myself on the back or punch myself in the head. Maybe with enough coats of paint it will go away. :)

And yes, the "fading" color is an illusion from the light and the camera.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »
You should try that Rhino liner textured paint Jon used on his garage countertop.  That would hide the Bondo'ed parts and provide a cool durable surface, unless you are planning of applying some graphics to it.

Going with a matte or satin finish would also make it less noticable.

Can't wait to see the finished kegerator.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:36:21 AM »
Thanks Alan, I actually wanted the gloss finish of the enamel. It iwll have some graphics on it once complete. :)

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 04:25:52 AM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="49573"
Greg -

I don't homebrew, I've always wanted to, but never attempted it. Someday. I mainly just get a keg of good ol trusty Coors.

You should give it a try, its pretty easy once you learn a couple things.
I have 5 gallons ready to bottle and im going to brew another 5 gallons tuesday.

Its good fun!

Greg
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:05:22 PM »
I like where you're going with this...big beetle VW badge on the front? Flames would rule.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:29:21 PM »
I actually envision a white vinyl graphic of the VW logo draped across the front, maybe wrapping to the side. I would like to get an old school VOLKSWAGEN emblem, cut the posts off the back and mount that sucker up where the old Hotpoint badge was.

We'll see. I haven't done the next coat because I am really disappointed witht he bondo result. I may need to strip teh front and do it right.

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
Reface...
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »
I think you can buy an inexpensive refacing product that glues on the refrigerator like contact paper.  Or, you could glue on formica somewhat inexpensively (glue it on with an overlap, and trim with a router bit).  You can pick almost any color or style (wood, fake stainless, colors, whatever).  I suspect you could etch out the VW logo first and then glue it on as well....

Try a web search for "refrigerator" and "reface."

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »
You know, I might still have the Volkswagen emblem from my '88 Fox floating around somewhere not mad old skool, but old none-the-less. If I have it, I'm more than willing to donate it to the cause.
You know, the APS Wrench Pirates logo would be sick...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 02:02:08 PM »
put more primer over the  bondo....and that will hide the color.  Just do a light power sanding to help the primer stick, then coat real well with primer, then paint again.

I think it looks great!!!!

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 02:12:52 PM »
I have a chrome VW emblem from my MKIV grille you can have.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »
Jay, I know what to do with my fridge now!!! It's about 20 years old and could use a good refinishing. Now if I can just talk Tish into coverting it...she still wants to keep her "other" beer and soda and stuff in it :roll:

$189 for the conversion kit
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:23:56 PM »
I think I used them or someone similar for my kit. You could also do a dual tap, one for beer and one for Soda. You could also swap the thermostat for the freezer portion and make it a fridge as well.

Basically, you loose all shelf space, but there are some door holder things that are okay for cans and some other sutff.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
How long does it take you to go through a keg?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 03:52:44 PM »
A 1/2 bbl takes forever unless I get wasted every night or invite over a bunch of people a few times. So I usually get a 1/4 bbl (pony) and that can last me up to about a month.

There is a bit of an art to the process, because learning to regulate the CO2 properly really dictates the longevity of the keg. Some claim you can get up to 60 days out of a keg, At around 30 days you tend to nice a change in taste. I think the longest I went was around 50 days.

Try and strategize around keg buying too, find a good store that has a great price and is convenient for you. Especially a larger warehouse type store. They tend to have sales often on kegs. Also, if you know a vacation is coming up soon, it may not be worth refilling the keg if you are leaving for a week or more.

I didn't read the full description of that link, but if you buy a prefab kit make sure it comes with a CO2 tank. Otherwise you will be shelling out for one on top of what you pay for the kit. I think my kit was about $210 back in 2002 and came with a decent sized tank. I think it was 10lb tank roughly (maybe bigger).

You will also need to give up the deposit on a keg shell, so the first one you get, you will leave a deposit, don't plan on ever getting it back. Also, don't pay more than $20 for a deposit. Some places are as cheap ar $10. You will just bring back the empty shell every time.

I also recommend picking up a regular pump tap. That way if you run out of CO2 you can keep drinking and try to enjoy as much of the keg as you can. These typically have a larger deposit which is the price of the tap, usually $30 - $45 depending on the tap. It is not critical to have, but if you are entertaining and you run out of CO2...party's over.

As for getting the CO2 refilled, I used to go to a place on Sante Fe and do a swap with them if they had the right size tank otherwise I would have to leave it to get filled. However, where I live now, the liquor store by me does a tank swap, and it costs the same as going to a place that specializes in gases. So check to see if your store does CO2, otherwise look for places that are reasonable distance to get it refilled or swapped out.

The only other big thing is the gauges are super sensitive, I killed the one that tells me the pressure left in the CO2 tank. So i never have any idea how much is left. i just need to fork over the money for a new one, they are about $20 - $30. They are most commonly ruined when you hooke verything up, and get stuff situated and the tank falls over landing on them.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 03:57:19 PM »
bbl? 1/4 lasts you a month? wow...the intial sounds like resonable for the day to day costs...I drop at least $14-20 a weekend on beer. Of course, I had a keg, I'd probably drop even more.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 05:06:49 PM »
bbl = barrel. A 1/2 barrel is what most people know as a full keg, 16 gallons I believe. A 1/4 barrel is 8 gallons and is known as a pony.

A pony of domestics like Coors/Bud/Miller is about $35 + tax. So about $38. A 1/2 is about $60 with tax.

The higher ends beers are obviously more. If you want to do something like Guiness you need a nitrogen system.

It is pretty cost effective. When I am feeling good I will put away about a case of beer a week on my own. :) The money is really saved in the 1/2 bbl but the I love the taste of a draught.