Author Topic: Badges...we don't need no...wait yes we do!  (Read 2184 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Badges...we don't need no...wait yes we do!
« on: August 09, 2006, 02:22:19 PM »
Ok, I need some help from a debadging and rebadging expert.

I got some replacement lettering for the PASSAT and the 2.0T (well this is 2.0FSI). They are in black (dunkel) chrome. The PASSAT lettering and the 2.0FSI are both OEM parts so the PASSAT part is the exact same dimensions. The 2.0FSI is actually a bit bigger than the 2.0T on there currently.

What I need, is a good method for someone without a heat gun, to get the old lettering off.  Cleaned up and ready to the application of the new lettering and all that.

Anyone else go through this type of pain? I know a few of you have debadged, so that input is always welcome.

I also need to measure where everything is so I can make sure I put the letters in teh same spot and that they are level. Should I mark with some painters tape?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Badges...we don't need no...wait yes we do!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »
Jay, I would be happy to help, it is really easy, and with some goo-gone, the residue comes off without scratching.  I have done this to many cars.

You can use fishing line to pull the badges off, then the goo gone, then clean.  If you place tape under the existing badges, to give a marking point, you will know where the new ones go so you don't have to measure....and it will also be level without issue.

I have everything you need, if you want to come over some night, I would be happy to help.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:42:07 PM »
Thanks Jon! Maybe I can bring Kona over as well and he and Chloe can play.

I could probably do it tomorrow night, tonight is out, I have a board meeting after work.

Otherwise I can do it early next week in the evening.

Let me know what works best with your schedule,  I know no weekends, I will be gone this weekend anyway.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 02:44:57 PM »
Next week, the beginning is better, Monday thru Wednesday works fine for me...and please bring Kona over, they can have a blast together.

We have family visiting tomorrow night.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »
I agree with Jay on the fishing line and the Goo Gone.  As for not wanting to use a heat gun.  Just use mother nature and a hot day.  That should heat the badge up enough to make it easier.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:49:55 PM »
Sounds good Jon, that would be best for me too. Let me see where I am at over the next few days with work and I will let you know what night is best.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »
dental floss and a hairdryer works really well.  I also use Goof Off to remove remnants of glue/tape.  I then wipe off the area with rubbing alcohol as the Goof Off may leave a slightly oily residue.  I ususally finish off with a good buffing of polish or wax, but if you're putting something else on that's not neccessary.

A heat gun may be too hot -- you don't want to strip or damage the paint.  The highest heat setting on a hairdryer works perfectly.
Good luck!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
I didn't need any heat...the sun was on the car all day. In fact, only once did I use the fishing line.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
I used dental floss, worked like a charm
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:44:08 PM »
I used a hairdryer to heat the glue up, then a plastic putty knife to pop them off, then lots of goo gone to clean up.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein