Author Topic: check engine light  (Read 1450 times)

audios

• Stock
check engine light
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:37:19 AM »
So the Audi dealer hooked the car to the scanner and the ce light codes read miss fire. they said it was probably because of the fuel filter when it made the car studder. they cleared the code and couldn't find anything wrong except the fuel filter.  does that explanation make sense or do you think they just wanted the car out of there? They also charged me 120.00 for all that work.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: check engine light
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »
if the fuel filter was clogged and restricting flow than it could cause a missfire. But it  is hard to diagnose. Many missfires are due to bad coilpacks or plugs. How many miles on your plugs?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »

audios

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:00:12 AM »
about 4,000 miles on the plugs. Are the plugs hard to change on the 2.8l?

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:51:48 AM »
i didn't realize you had a 2.8L. Humm. No the plugs are not that hard to change. But with only 4k on them, and assuming you are not using a copper plug they should still be fine. maybe some one else on here with more knowledge of the 2.8L and it's misfire happenings will chime in.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
plugs are a relatively easy change.  but yes your dealers explanation is at least plausable.  at this point before fixing things that may not be broken, I'd wait to see if either the stuttering or the check enginge light recurr.  if they do, then look to coil packs and plugs.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

audios

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. so far no check engine light has come on but I have only had it back for a day.