Author Topic: warning: cops may stop you for having a non-CO front plate!  (Read 3689 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
This is my rant for today:

I got a very rude awakening last night at 8:30 when I was stopped by the police as I was heading north on Santa Fe Drive near Mississippi on my way to the Home Depot.

I was stopped soley for having a Europlate, which in my 5 years of having one this never happened before.  There have been a million cops who drive past my car on the road and never bothered with it, I've even got a speeding ticket without the issue being raised, and I've even lived across the street from a police station where my car was parked everyday outside in plain view.  Heck, last year I helped the state troopers catch a drunk driver with a car full of drugs on the highway (on my way to Andrew's Super Bowl party), and the half dozen cops were admiring my car after the guy was nabbed and they never said a thing about my europlate.
But this officer was the biggest asshole on earth -- very rude and condenscenting, even in the presence of my parents, who were in the car with me.  I know that this is probably one of those bad cops so I played stupid and obliged to everything he said.

He let me go with a warning on the condition I take the plate off immediately, which I did (thanks to velcro).  The cop watched me as I peeled the plate off my bumper and commented in a very asshole tone on how I rigged my plate with velco and gave me a hard time on the plugs that covered the holes from the plate bracket.  I wanted to kick this guy in the nuts so hard -- but I continued to play dumb.
Just before he left he said that if he sees me with that plate again he would have my car impounded, but I'm sure he was just trying to scare me to keep it off.

He had a sidekick with him which only watched from a distance (standing just outside the police car), probably a trainee.  All I could think about this cop is "I'm making up for my shortcomings, I'm making up for my shortcomings..."

I understand the risks of having a non-CO front plate, but this is rediculous.  Just before I got pulled over I noticed one car with a malfunctioning taillight which really pissed me off because that is something the cops really should be stopping people for.  I was caught from behind, so I was thinking I was singled out for having a modified car (my soon-to-be-replaced resonator was probably a giveaway since it's very loud) though my car is nowhere near to being a rice-burner.

Anyways, life's not fair, there will always be bad apples, and I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'm just mad and pissed because this guy was so unneccessarily rude, mean and disrespectful -- I've always had a respect for the police and they have been very courteous to me, but this guy needs has real problems!

Anyways, just a warning to all since I've heard some major cities are keeping a watchful eye on modified cars -- I'm hoping this was just an isolated incident and I caught this guy at a bad time.

So now I pulled my plate off for the time being, I'm intending to keep my front bumper naked for about a month and maybe putting my europlate back on.  It seems like having no plate in the front is a much better option (just watch out for parking enforcement in downtown).

Ugh.  :evil:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: warning: cops may stop you for having a non-CO front pla
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
I was never pulled over for just the plate...I did have one officer pull me over for a taillight out, let me know the law about the front plate, but didn't say anything else.

I suspect he pulled you over because of your modified car and he wanted to run a warrent/records check on your license. But not finding anything more than your front plate, he took it and ran.

They can pull you over for even the smallest infraction and that's commonly done because the majority of big arrests come from traffic stops- those little infractions like not using your turn signal, windows too dark, improper exhaust or even, placement of your license plate.

But there's definately no reason to be a dick about it. Denver's first employment screening is based on customer service response and politeness. Almost every deparment wants a "tough but polite" image, but some guys just don't get it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:53:34 PM »
sucks alan.  You got to love cops that are trying to make a good impression on the "new kid" by pretending they are hard asses.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
That does suck Alan.  I understand they have a tough job but I do not see what they gain from acting this way.  

A europlate might be better cause to pull you over than no plate.  No plate might be seen from the front as a car from another state or as a car with a temp tag.  Personally I'd like to reduce the number of easy, valid reasons for them to pull me over but I still run with no front plate or with a clear plastic plate cover on some of my cars.  I should make them all legal-like I suppose.

Some cops are getting systems that run plates via a quick point and shoot camera that OCR's the plate number.  They might get more particular about plates if that system really works well.

[I'm a bit devided on the plate checking computer thing.  I like the idea that it might reduce the number of stolen plates, stolen cars, unregistered/uninsured cars on the road but they also end up giving people a hard time that are not doing anything wrong.  Since the state has made it more difficult to legally get plates, more people are stealing plates, temp tags, etc. to get by without insurance and the like.  Then if they get caught they are in a lot more trouble.]

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:25:33 AM »
Quote from: "aowhaus";p="48820"

But this officer was the biggest asshole on earth -- very rude and condenscenting, even in the presence of my parents, who were in the car with me.  I know that this is probably one of those bad cops so I played stupid and obliged to everything he said.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment.  I too have been around dozens of police officers with my europlate, even questioned by Lakewood PD at 4am as to what it means, which for those of you that have seen it know it's not something you would say to any officer at any time of day.  It was just this officer's time of the month and he probably got shafted with some assignment he wasn't happy with and looked for whatever reason he could to take it out on anyone, you just happened to be the one he went after.  

If you were that displeased with his conduct you could always contact his supervisor and file a complaint, and with your parents as witnesses you have a better chance of that complaint going some where versus' just a heresay type of thing as the officer would more than likely charge so as to keep his rear clean with superiors.  Should be easy since most police officers are almost required by departmental law to give you a business card so that you, the citizen, are aware he is a real police officer and not an impostor.  Hopefully he did this and you can pursue such action if need be.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

dubitup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 11:37:05 AM »
Probably the same a$$hat that pulled me over in the A6 for a cover on the rear license plate, he asked me twice if this was my car....umm you have my paper work, you tell me, I also told him I can show him the pink slip....

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:26:29 AM »
Quote from: "methodicalmayhem";p="48854"
If you were that displeased with his conduct you could always contact his supervisor and file a complaint, and with your parents as witnesses you have a better chance of that complaint going some where versus' just a heresay type of thing as the officer would more than likely charge so as to keep his rear clean with superiors.  Should be easy since most police officers are almost required by departmental law to give you a business card so that you, the citizen, are aware he is a real police officer and not an impostor.  Hopefully he did this and you can pursue such action if need be.

Good point.  They are hear to protect us, and not dump on a voting, tax paying citizen. eh?  Contact the captain.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 03:10:11 AM »
Yeah well they have a big problem with stolen and ficticious plates these days.  It'd be nice if they had better judgement but still, how many people are trying to game them every damn day?

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Usermanual

• Stock
    • http://www.theimportwarehouse.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »
I walked out from lunch yesterday to find this on my windshield. Keep in mind I have a temp tag hanging in the back window.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:02:15 PM »
Quote from: "Usermanual";p="49428"
I walked out from lunch yesterday to find this on my windshield. Keep in mind I have a temp tag hanging in the back window.

Haha, I guess I would call in or go down and get that one dropped ASAP. What a spaz. Hmm, no front plate, must write ticket, don't worry about seeing if there is a plate on teh rear or if it is even valid.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed it is a courtesy warning. Still,  what a dummy.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »
That is funny.  Couresty Warning my ass...  how about "this is how dumb the people that are paid to protect you warning"

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »
The police who gave that notice is absolutely stupid -- what a waste of time and tax payer's money!

That's like ticketing someone who's parking in a handicap spot without checking if the car has handicap tags.
I'm sure the officer who issued it will feel pretty stupid after you expain the situation -- if he's even smart enough.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »
Couple of notes.

-More than 90% of FELONY arrests are done through traffic stops. (couple of examples)
      -Ted Bundy was stopped for a tail light out. He killed over 30 people and was finaly cought becuase of a traffic stop.
      -The Oklahoma City bombers (Timothy McVeigh) were caught because of a traffic stop (Missing license plate)

More often than not these cops are trying to catch real criminals. The real criminals look just like everyone else. The police never know who they are dealing with. They are on guard and most of the time you are already annoyed and upset because you are being stopped. So every action after that seems even more annoying.

In this case I would bet that the contacting officer was the new officer and the trainer was the cop watching.  As a new officer sometimes it is even harder to be "nice" because you are so stressed yourself trying to do the right thing and not get killed. I would bet that if this were the case the training officer probably noted it and hopefully his next stop will be better.

Just some things to think about.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »
refresh my memory here....but some of the comments there dont align.  i believe (and i may be wrong) that the lack of a front tag, since there is no expiry information on it, is a non-moving violation if it is missing (a non-moving, non-point bearing fine).  moreover, there is certainly NO way your car could be impounded for not having it. NONE.  so it seems he was just trying to be a hard a$$.  screw him and the horse he rode in on....wife was prob cheating on him (95% of police mariages end in divorce).

i have currently and have had many friends in various police departments across the state (mostly douglas and arap county sherrifs) and i will tell you this...he and his friends had a good laugh about his "hard talk" at your expense at the bar after their shift!

yes the job is stressfull, but lying out of your ass and missrepresenting the law is inexcusible and abusive towards the public...ESPECIALLY after the tag was run and it was determined the driver was not outwardly threatening.

end of rant
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »
Wow, got seriously confused there for a sec...I think Cole went back to Alan's...on User's topic though, how can he even issue a warning when you're not even breaking the law?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:34:26 PM »
Yes.... a lot of confusion now.  

The conversation was starting to turn to "usermanual"s ticket for not having a front plate.  He was parked in Golden.  His car was brand new with a TEMP TAG.

I have no problem with an officer pulling me over for not having a front plate when I have a plated car and I'm breaking the law by not having a front plate.  While it is annoying, I'm the one that is in the wrong.... but if I cop ticketed me or "courtsey warning'd" me because I didn't have a front plate when I had temp tags or out of state plates where they don't require front plates.... I would be annoyed, mainly because it shows stupidity/negligance/laziness on the part of the people I am paying to protect me and our society.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:41:31 PM »
I should ad, i feel cops get a bad wrap.  As soon as they make a single simple mistake, they are ripped to shreds.  And as soon as they are just doing their job they are ripped to shreds and hated for doing their job... They are just human.  Look at Cole for instantance  :lol:.

But having the power officers do have... they are under a careful eye and they will be scrutinized if they make a mistake.

Gutray

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 01:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "Usermanual";p="49428"

I used to live in golden, and from my  multiple police encounters i can tell you that the majority are just plain assholes because they are cops in a town where some of the smartests minds in the state are going to school, so they often prove how much better they are by doing incredibly stupid things. At least this is just my .02

evil_O

• Modded
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 01:36:40 PM »
My signature says it all.
2006 S4 Sprint Blue
2007 Subaru Wagon 2.5i
2008 Subaru Tribeca (5 pass. Ltd.)

"I hate cops."

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 09:32:25 PM »
PIG!

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
I have been pulled over for the EuroPlate on my car.

I was the ONLY car ont he road last winter on my way home to Steamboat, and the State Patrol actually made a U-Turn on the highway just to pull me over.  He was nice about it, and I think he was just plain bored so he decided to pull me over.

I do realize that a lot of big crimes are solved as a result of a traffic stop, so I will give some to the Police there.  However there are may more traffic violations that I see on a daily basis that should take prioity over plate violations.

Thus my plate is on with velcro and only put on the car at GTG's and Shows.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065