Author Topic: Acceleration issues  (Read 1456 times)

Usermanual

• Stock
    • http://www.theimportwarehouse.com
Acceleration issues
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
Recently I have been having issues with acceleration in my 1.8t. It's hard to describe without actually feeling what is going on. It almost feels as if I am driving around wtih the parking brake slightly pulled.

During normal mild acceleration the car shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 1500 - 2000 RPM then 2nd is almost useless as it shifts from 2nd to 3rd at 2000 RPM and then 3rd to 4th around 2500 - 3000 RPM. It's almost as if it is shifting really early and almost skipping 2nd completely. Now if I put the pedal to the floor, there is almost a second or so delay before response and it accelerates pretty normally through the gears until I reach highway or normal driving speed.

I tried a few things without any results. I am thinking there may be a fuel issue or possibly a transmission issue? There is no CEL, my Service INSP just came on as I am at 78K but that is recent, this problem is about a month old. Any thoughts? Also what is invloved in the Service Insp light? Is this scheduled maintinence that I need to take it in for or can I just clear the notice and go on with life?

Thanks

Jon

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Acceleration issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:35:27 PM »
whatever problem you are having sounds like it has kicked your car into limp mode.  car does this to protect itself.  could be an engine problem like a boost leak causing your car to kick over, or could be a transmission problem too.

best way to figure it out is to have it read with a vag-com or a pro-diag and figure out if any fault codes are being tripped.  If you take it in for service, your mechanic should do this too.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: Acceleration issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:35:27 PM »