Author Topic: Opinions requested on Enkei DM5 wheels  (Read 3190 times)

scoty08

• n00balicious
Opinions requested on Enkei DM5 wheels
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »
Hi all....my wife and I had twins a while back so I've been out of the mod loop for a while but am wanting to get going again.  Time to do wheels and tires as well as chip the 02 Passat.  I have been wheel shopping and I really like the Enkei DM5s that Discount Tire has.  They are cheap so I'm worried about quality.  Any opinions?

While I'm at it, I was thinking about shoeing them with a fairly conservative tire, Yokahama YK520s.  Any opinions on those?  I have the Eibach suspension kit and the Neuspeed swaybar so I'm thinking if I go with a conservative tire with a much smaller sidewall than what I current have (stock 15"s) I'll get real nice handling but not a harsh ride.  Thoughts?

Here's the link to them if you wanna look at what they are:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?rcz=80108&rc=CODINT&mk=VW&yr=2002&wd=17&dVeh=dVeh&pc=60719&rw=&bp=&vid=007357

Thanks all!

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
Re: Opinions requested on Enkei DM5 wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »
I dont know about their quality, but I know I almost got them a few years back.  I think they are pretty sweet.

I actually have the Enkei RSV found here--->  http://www.enkei.com/Performance%20specs/rsv.html

I really like them...  They were pretty inexpensive and are very light.  I also ride on the Yokohama ES-100, normally very expensive tire, 130.00, I found them for 90$ at a BF goodrich near Parker.  SWEET!
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »

scoty08

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:24 PM »
So how long have you run those Enkeis?  Sounds like you are happy with yours.  No problems with bending or anything like that?

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:26:50 AM »
Quote from: "scoty08";p="50798"
So how long have you run those Enkeis?  Sounds like you are happy with yours.  No problems with bending or anything like that?

I have had them a little more than a year.  I am very happy with them.  I believe very sturdy... I try not to make it a habit to run into things. :-P  I really like they way they look and like I said, they were affordable and light.  I would also like to reiterate that the ones you are looking at I really liked a whole lot too.  The only reason why I ended up not getting them was because I got some blingage!!!!!  Some chrome 5-Stars instead.  I also went through Discount.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »
the yk520 is an entry level tire that is not really designed for great handling but more orriented towards milage. You might want to step up to something better.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
If you're going to get wheels and tires... you might want to check tirerack out... you'll probably find better for cheaper

www.tirerack.com
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
:thumbdown:

Get some Fliks if you want quality but cheap:
http://www.edgeracing.com
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 01:11:27 PM »
the design is not my cup of tea, but I have friends who have Enkeis and they are decent wheels, obviously not BBS quality, but very good value.  Probably one of the better wheels if you are on a budget.

I also like the Fliks too, and sometimes you could find a screaming sale on a set.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:15:48 PM »
I've had my Flik's for a few of months and love them.  I have the ten spoke Justice design and got them on sale for $99/wheel.  They are 17x8, so the 225/45 tires look better than cramming them onto a 7" wide wheel.

As far as tires go we use Kumho Ecsta ASX's on my wifes Jetta, I have snow tires for my GTI.  They are a good all season performance tire and you should be able to get them for less than $125/tire, depending on where you go.

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 01:56:03 PM »
+1 for fliks too!

scoty08

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
See this is why I knew it'd be good to post here.  I really like the Fliks....they've got some real nice looking wheels at great prices. I assume the quality there is pretty good?  

Also, it was mentioned that maybe YK520s weren't the best tire.  If you step up what is the better option?  I love Yokahamas and have been running the YK420s since I bought the car and I love them.  They are not a racing tire by any stretch but if you run the Eibach suspension like I do it offsets some of the harsh ride.  If I go to a Z rated tire I'm worried the ride will get annoying.

I'm just trying to find that ever elusive balance between performance, handling, traction, looks, and budget since I can't afford to have several sets of wheels with different tires on them.  Maybe someday.

scoty08

• n00balicious
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
Oh...another key question.  On these wheel suggestions...are there any that you know I could put VW center caps in?  I like that look that seems "stock but not".....sleeping dragon...ya know! :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 02:36:41 PM »
Quote from: "scoty08";p="50824"
Oh...another key question.  On these wheel suggestions...are there any that you know I could put VW center caps in?  I like that look that seems "stock but not".....sleeping dragon...ya know! :)

If not, just paint them black. That's a nice look.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 06:37:06 PM »
Quote from: "scoty08";p="50823"
See this is why I knew it'd be good to post here.  I really like the Fliks....they've got some real nice looking wheels at great prices. I assume the quality there is pretty good?  

Also, it was mentioned that maybe YK520s weren't the best tire.  If you step up what is the better option?  I love Yokahamas and have been running the YK420s since I bought the car and I love them.  They are not a racing tire by any stretch but if you run the Eibach suspension like I do it offsets some of the harsh ride.  If I go to a Z rated tire I'm worried the ride will get annoying.

I'm just trying to find that ever elusive balance between performance, handling, traction, looks, and budget since I can't afford to have several sets of wheels with different tires on them.  Maybe someday.

Below is my 2 cents...

The Khumo ASX would be a decent all around tire.

The fliks are decent wheels for the money.  I would pick up a set of Flik lex's or Justices before i would get the wheel you posted above, but again that is personal preference.

Most people have their wheels for quite a while so make sure you buy a set of wheels you really like. Also try and find something that you like and preferably light.

There really is a noticble difference with lighter wheels. I just finished my wheel search and could not find a wheel that i liked that was light. So i am having a set of wheel made for me with custom offsets and paint code to match my car w/ a small polished lip. I like to get wheels that are about 1lb per inch. So my new wheels will be just under 18lbs for an 18" wheel. The wheels you are looking at are in the 26-29lb area.  Just keep it in mind.

Remember the tire is only part of your car that maintains contact with the road surface. So please do not skimp on this peice.

For tires. If you are looking at cost the Khumo ASX is a good setup, if you can spend a couple more dollars i would look at the new Yokohama Advan Sport. I mention this tire since you said you really like yoko's.

If you don't have to have  Yoko's check out the Bridgestone RE-01R, Bridgestone Re050 PP, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Dunlop Sport Maxx (on sale most places), Toyo T1-R.

I am waiting till the new Continental Sport Contact 3 is stateside, then i think i will get a set of those.  If those end up taking for ever i will probbaly settle for the Michelin PS2.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 06:38:27 PM »
double post. please delete.