Author Topic: Osborne Service - Be careful $$$$  (Read 4642 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Osborne Service - Be careful $$$$
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »
So in my hoopla to get the coolan issue resolved and to get my almost overdue 20K service and to go to a place I trusted ad typically beat the others in cost...Osborne is raping me...big time.

It's my fault, I should have just called around, but convenience and previous experience led me to "trust" them.

They are charging me about $450 or so for my 20K service. McDonald and most other dealers around the nation are in the low to mid $200 range. I am basically paying double.

I am not happy, but, eluding to another thread, I signed the paperwork. I will surely gripe upon pickup and ask for an itemize receiot with each cost listed out so I can post it up with what is and what is not related to the service.

I know that it's not just extortion, but added things from the dealer. I asked for just teh 20K servcie, they told me that's what I was getting. So we'll see what I can argue.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Osborne Service - Be careful $$$$
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »
then contact VWoA...

I contacted SOA when I had issues with the dealer I bought the car from, they were VERY helpful.  MINI-USA contacted me to follow up on the warranty issue of the gas gauge, and they had the dealer call me back to get things straight.  Even today, they are still calling to make sure everything is going well.

I know others around have contacted the home offices when they had issues like this, you should see if they will listen....the practices of the dealers is enough to drive customers away....and that is the last thing they want.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:21:03 PM »
I almost crapped myself when I asked what the hourly charge is....ready...

$135/hour

Yep, $135/hour for labor. I think Prestige Porsche cgarges less! Needless to say, while it dissappoints me, that will be my last non-warranty related visit to Osborne.

I also found out on my shuttle ride to work this morning they recently laid off 15 people, including their shuttle driver. Now the sales people do the shuttle driving.

Ripping people off on the labor charge is not a good way to make money back.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:26:28 AM »
Yah, they gave me that rate when they wanted to retap one of my front subframe (rear) bolts.  I said "Leave, I'll do it myself."  They dropped the charge to $40.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:37:04 AM »
that is an outrage.  I am sure if VWoA finds out what they are charging, they will put pressure on them.  I would file a complaint for sure, they are going to give VW a bad name, and VW does not want that.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:56:59 AM »
Jeez.
I was paying $95/hr. for crappy service at Elk Mountain Motors in Glenwood Springs a while back and I thought I was getting it up the rear with a 10 foot pole.

I am staying away from Osborne VW because of the amount of unsolicited deceptive junk mail I have been getting from them.  I'm far more smarter to fall for their shit and it's sad that they have ot resort to these measures.

The only VW dealership I would take my car to be serviced would be Mountain States Motors.  I always had great service and they provide free shuttle service which is a life saver to me.  Besides that, Macdonald Audi VW was the only dealership I went to repeatedly but they are on my black list since they failed in my three strikes rule.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:29 AM »
Jay - I think Kike McArthur (sp?) is still the service manager out there.  Have you spoke with the service manager and appealed what they charged?  It sounded like they added services that were not discussed.  Was that the case?  Personally I would make an appointment with Mike (assuming he is still the service manager) and Gene Osborn.  Explain to them what is fair and how they are giving themselves a bad name on the forums and through word of mouth.  I would also tell them you are going to register a complaint with VWOA if they "make this right."  My guess is it will get resolved.  If not make the complaint and see where it goes.  Before you go in you should call Prestige and see what their shop rate to give a comparison.  Maybe even another VW shop for a comparison too.

Good Luck!

Rob

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
Rob -

Thanks for the info. They went over what was to be done, but what they do is give you three choices for the service, the Osborn Platinum, the upgraded and teh basic. All of which contain more items than what VW says needs to be done. So regardless you aren't given a choice to just get teh VW recommended service. That and the high labor rate make it a bad deal.

They are hurting, they are very nice and they seem to do good work, but this is als teh second time I have come in and they referred to my car as  a Jetta.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="51121"
but this is also the second time I have come in and they referred to my car as  a Jetta.

that right there would make me leave...and go somewhere else.

Can Randy's shop do the services?  I know that is not as easy for you with the commute and all, but just an option.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 11:12:55 AM »
my wife had to argue with them there last time she went in for something. that was the final time we went there.

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
I should have double checked but it's MIKE not Kike.  Sorry TYPO

I had my share of issues with those guys and our Eurovan so I have found Lithia to be actually pretty good BUT that is priamrily with warranty work. The only thing Lithia has done outside of that is change oil and I supply filter and oil.  They charge about 10.00 to do it.

I'd still pursue it with them and let them know of your dissatisfaction.

On the other hand it is a consumers job to research what they will be getting in terms of service.  If they offer more then what you want then you should leave.  I know its a bit late to do that but a lesson to all of us.

Keep us posted if you get a chance to discuss with them especially GENE OSBORN.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »
I agree Rob, I am usually pretty good about that, but I had an issue with loosing coolant, though again, they say nothing is wrong, so I had to make a dealer visit.

The problem is, so far all my maintenance visits have included warranty items so I have beena little stuck.

However, going forward it is probably better to see Randy and just figure out how to deal with work. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 01:19:47 PM »
if you need a day time ride, you can always give me a call, I would be happy to help out getting you back and forth from Autobahn and work

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 01:34:08 PM »
i just went to Lithia this morning with the Golf hoping for better service.. But um, well it wasn't good. They informed me last month to drop by during the week so they could warrenty the key fobs. I show up this morning and i was informed they need 4-5hrs to test the key fobs and swap batteries. I informed him that we did that last month and it did nothing. He tried to inform me that we have to start over again..Last month it was covered by warrenty, this time it is out of my pocket. I was there a month so so ago on a saturday and was informed they don't do warrenty work on saturdays and to come back during the week. So now the story changes.

Needless to say i have a Golf with 2 broken key fobs and Lithia Service sucks. Makes me wish i still lived in NH where my dealer was nice to deal with and never changed the story on us.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »
Jay get a hold of Black Jetta on 719, he's a tech at Osborn and I'm sure he could help you out some
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 02:05:47 AM »
I chatted with him, fortunately he is the one that worked on my car, so while I am pissed off at the labor rate, at least it was going to someone worth while.

Unfortunately it is the last ime I am coming in there, that rate is just too much for a VW.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 03:13:28 AM »
be sure to record your experience at: http://1.8t.org/dealers/
it's a great database and resource of Audi and VW dealership reviews (very acurate too).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 09:18:32 AM »
Jay I would still call and ask for Gene Osborn and tell him your thoughts and that you will not be back.

Quote from: "Eric18T";p="51141"
i just went to Lithia this morning with the Golf hoping for better service.. But um, well it wasn't good. They informed me last month to drop by during the week so they could warrenty the key fobs. I show up this morning and i was informed they need 4-5hrs to test the key fobs and swap batteries. I informed him that we did that last month and it did nothing. He tried to inform me that we have to start over again..Last month it was covered by warrenty, this time it is out of my pocket. I was there a month so so ago on a saturday and was informed they don't do warrenty work on saturdays and to come back during the week. So now the story changes.

Needless to say i have a Golf with 2 broken key fobs and Lithia Service sucks. Makes me wish i still lived in NH where my dealer was nice to deal with and never changed the story on us.

Eric - There is a lady out at Lithia that is in charge of warranty work that is really helpful.  I forget her name at the moment but a petite dark haired lady (kind of cute) and the name is unusual.  Get with her and explain the story and she will make it right.

When i had my rotors warp at 20K the service rep did not want to warranty them but I appealed it and spoke with this lady.  She and I called VWOA and she got it covered under warranty.  It's worth a try.  I'll try and call over to find out her name and post it up later.

Rob

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »
I've got my car's warranty at Lithia- never had to bring it in there though. We get the oil changed at Lithia Chrysler/Jeep and they suck- but it's free so why complain.
Osborne took care of some warranty work for us and treated me very well. I worked with JD, but there was no labor charges involved. My 20K is coming up here in another 2.5K...maybe I'll talk to Randy about getting it done. Does it have to be at a dealership?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="51180"
We get the oil changed at Lithia Chrysler/Jeep and they suck- but it's free so why complain.

So's a swift kick in the groin, but despite my offering to kick a number of people, free even, they never seem to want to take me up on it. :lol:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
Wow that blows. I'm sure their customers can only take so much of that before they start finding other dealers to go to.

FWIW, I always had good experiences with Prestige in Lakewood for warranty work and some minor non-warranty stuff. Now that I'm out of warranty, there is Indian Peaks auto up here by me in Boulder and of course the good folks down at APS.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
When I had the B5.5 Passat and a warranty, I had a recurring CEL.  Lithia fixed my car and was good to me, aver several bad experiences with Gebhart in Boulder.  Geb was hopeless trying to fix what turned out to be a common problem:  Bad MAF from the factory.  Lithia fixed it right, first try, and did not even scratch the paint or break anything else (Geb did both, as well as make me come back three times and eventually try to BS me that they'd lost the diag CD for that particular car.)

Bad warranty service and bad dealer experiences led me  to decide that the warranty was not all that.  It was painful to deal with those idiots and I did not trust their work.  I think I am happier with a nicer used car for less money and either fixing it myself or taking it to a good indie shop.

Those dealer service people do not get it.  Their job is not to fix my car, their job is to sell me another car someday down the road.  Boulder dealers might be the worst due to the distance to other options.  I had some leftover CPO warranty on my A8 and the Audi dealer was pretty bad also.
You'd think the service people would want to treat a CPO owner pretty well, hoping they would decide to buy lease a new Audi in the near future.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
After reading this post, I can't help but still wonder what is the deal with the disappearing coolant.  Did they look for leaks?  Coolant doesn't normally disappear very quickly, so based the earlier posts, it seems like the real issue might be that you still have a mechanical problem....

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 12:09:56 AM »
I also will not go to Osborne. I will also not go to Gebhardt. I will also not go to Lithia. I will also not go to McDonald. I will also not go to Tynans.

Don't leave me many options!