Author Topic: Toyota, Nissan other? pickup trucks  (Read 5945 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Toyota, Nissan other? pickup trucks
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
So lets say you wanted to get a nice economical, easy to work on beater truck, pickup, for general use, maybe some commuting, a little hauling, camping, light wheeling, what would you pick?

On another wild whim I am once again considering parting ways with the Scout (I know like a bad relationship) since I don't have the time or resources to finish it. However, I like the utility aspect of keeping it. Still, it goes through fuel faster than Nicole Ritchie goes through diet pills. Even using 85 octane means a lot of money.

So anyway, I still see a need for us to have a truck around for our advernturous side, but something that is really part time for us, something to rough it, something for the really randomly bad snowy commute, something to haul stuff around for the house. Maybe even some light towing such as a bike or snowmobile (not a requirement). Obviously 4WD is a must.

I have been perusing ads for older Toyota and Nissan trucks. Something with an extended cab would be ideal (dog, stuff). I figure the old Toys and nissans should be pretty easy to work on, but since I have never really owned anything Japanese in my life (vehicle wise) I want to make sure I am thinking the right way. I would also probably shoot for a 4 cylinder (at least in the Toyotas) but a 6 is fine, still more economical than my beloved Scout.

As usual, looking for community input, I figure either way you can;t go wrong. I know older Toyotas are notorious for rust, but both seem to run for a real long time. That's hat I am looking for. Oh and sub $5K price, the cheaper the better.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Toyota, Nissan other? pickup trucks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »
Old hardbody Pathfinder. Easy to work on and built like a tank. ...or maybe an old Datsun  :lol: *kidding*
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 07:10:24 PM »
It would need to be pickup or pickup like, need to be able to haul stuff,

Pathfinders and 1990+ 4Runners wont do unfortunately, I still dream about owning a 2 door Pathfinder. :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:27:19 PM »
I know you just said it needs to be a pickup, but for me, I would LOVE to pick up and use/work-on/restore and old scout 800 series.  My dad and I worked on one when I was in high school and I miss that thing.  an older FJ or Jeep might be fun too.

I am not much for pickups, but if I were to get one I'd probably go with one of the new ford superdutys and begin to mod it with a lift and engine mods.  

for trucks, Cole's old truck is good too and at least has some character.

in the mean time put a hitch on the scout and get a trailer, or come up and borrow mine when you need to haul something.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
The Scout has a hitch, bit I have to take out a loan to drive the Scout anywhere. It needs to be finished being restored, which I cannot afford, nor do i ahve the personal time to complete.

I am looking to replace it with something that is easier on the pocket book with fuel, but is capable enough to fulfill my needs. Nothing will be like the Scout.

EDIT: I would prefer to finish the Scout and keep it, I can probably deal with teh fuel thing, but it still needs a lot of work. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 07:45:30 PM »
tacoma...all the way.  They last for ever.  Did you see the Top Gear episode where they tried to destroy a Toyota pickup?  The did not.

There are a ton of them around, affordable, and they run great, and are easy to work on as well.

I am also a fan of Nissan, owned a pathfinder, 1993, and my dad also owned a 2 door pathfinder when they first came out.  Never drove the toughbody pickups though, but I expect they are in the same class as the tacoma, or other SR5 pick-ups.  My first choice would be Toyota for reputation, but Nissas is a close second.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
What is the budget?

The most bang for the buck in a "mini" truck may be the Toyota.

I assume from your discription you want a "mini" truck.  You may be able to find some pretty good deals on Ford Rangers or Chevrolet S10s(GMC S15) since they are not as popular as the Toyotas.

Depending on what you want to haul in/with the truck you may be a bit dissapointed at the "real" ability of a mini truck. Even a X-cab with a small dog is a tight fit.  There are some smokin deals on older fullsize trucks if you look around.

Just for reference these were my last two mini trucks.

This one was a 1998 GMC" Sonoma ZR2 Highrider SLS" Which could probably be found pretty cheap these days.

This one was a 1980 Datsun with a Chevy V6 swap.

[/img]

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 08:08:28 PM »
Well I don't believe I need anything HD, and I want something that doesn;t suck down fuel at 8 miles / gal. I did list a budget in my first post, sub $5K , the cheaper the better.

I believe that I would sek out a topper for a pickup, so the pooch could always rough it in the back. :)

It's only a deal to me really if I sell teh scout and can use those proceeds to get something. The Scout is not worth $5K, but, sometimes I find money laying around so you never know. ;)

I only thought of the Japanese trucks in terms of being light, efficient, and easy to maintain. I know parts are a plenty on american cars, hell I can still find parts for my Scout. I just don't want to be having to work on the dang thing every time I want to use it. You know, spend one weeking wrenching ont eh truck so that the next weekend I can use it for four hours. I just don't have that time anymore (not that I ever did otherwise the Scout would be done). ;)

This is most likely just a pipe dream as the Scout isn't even in shape to be sold, needs a little work to get it into sale shape. Plus I would have to sell it first, which always seems to be a challenge for me emotionally. :)

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »
If you're getting used, Toyota all the way.  Nissan's are good vehicles, but not as good as Toyota's and if you're getting USED, not "used, but still new", get Toyota... if you're getting somethign that is still low mileage, Nissan is a good value.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 12:26:46 AM »
I would go with the toyota...the 4 cylinder with the 22R motor runs forever...mine was at 230000 when i sold it for a Tundra....loved both trucks...they always started no matter what the weather or temperature......the Tundra got hit by a bus last winter, it tore the front off but the door opened and i stepped out. I wanted another tundra but finances put a stop to that so i got a Nissan Titan instead. I like the more powerful engine, bigger brakes and smoother ride.......but it dos'ent feel like my Toyotas.
Sorry, went off on a tanget there!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »
We really need to get that "4x4/Trucks" thread going that we've always talked about.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 12:17:29 PM »
I shed a tear when my '81 Toy went away:

:cry:
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 12:46:32 PM »
I just ordered the idler arm brace from Total Chaos to replace my Calmini brace. I really, really, really want the 8" long travel IFS package from them...I have a suspicion that the wifey won't go for it :cry:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
What is really wrong with the Scout? Sounds like it *may* be cheaper to put a couple of grand (well placed) into the Scout.  That way you keep your beloved Scout and have a "truck"

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 02:45:51 PM »
Just a thought.  Did you realize that they made 4 cyl Scouts? I think the bellhousing is the same as the newer Jeep 2.5L Fuel Injected 4 cyl.  It *may* be super cheap to put a FI 4 popper in there that would have plenty of power for that rig. Or even a FI Jeep 4.0L.  Or add FI or a really nice carb to it. etc etc. Just thinking out loud here.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 04:56:10 PM »
Good ideas, teh Scout wieghhs a lot, they do have a 4 cyl floating around, but it isn;t that efficient. Obviously the Nissaan turbo diesel they used is ideal, but they are at a premium.

Here is what's left on teh scout:

Bed - rusty, needs to be cut out and new metal in place

Windshield frame - bubbly, probably cheaper to just replace

Still have leaks that I am having trouble tracking down, and some other little issues.

The thing is, I don;t have the time or money to do either (or so I think). If I knew that for lets say $3K I could get the scout "done." I would do it in a heartbeat.

I've got my guy in Penrose that can do the bed and windshield frame and any other left over rusty spots. I need to pull the crappy roll bar and have a real cage insalled and tied into the frame. The engine needs unknown amounts of work. I spent months last year working on it only to be let down by the final result meaning, sur ei have less leaks and ncie new cam bearings, but something still isn;t right. It runs fine, but you;d just have to check it out for yourself to see what i am talking about.

I would love to SOA, but that is way too much $$$. It also needs to be one color. I need to finish rattle can priming it to at least get it there, but it really needs to be painted (even a shitty cheap $30 maaco special. would suffice)

Still, I don't know if this can all be done in that budget. If it can, it;s a keeper, if it can't it's gone. It's heartbeaking either way, selling it will put me into a deep depression, but seeing it in front of my house every day dormant from lack of use is killing me just as much.

Renee is actually okay witht eh idea of selling the scout and picking up a non rusted out truck to replace it with. As long as it doesn;t require as much maintenance as the Scout. :)

So yeah, I am still not sold either way. I am going to take a looksie at a few Toyota's this weekend maybe. See if I am even interested. I really do LOVE the Scout and would prefer to keep it. Sometimes you just have to let go when there is no hope.  I guess there is a little hope.

Ok Cole, I need a good body person that is dirt cheap, a great mechanic and I think it can be done! ;)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 06:48:41 PM »
Ok Cole, here is an idea of things I can think of off the top of my head that I need:

Rear Floor*:                $ 300      
Fender Flares:                260 - NTH
Grille:                            135 - NTH
Oil Pan:                          78 - ?
Oil Pan Gasket:               10 - ?
Oil Sender:                     30
Antenna:                        15
Side Markers (4@12):      48 - NTH
Tail Lights (2@50) :       100 - NTH
Turn Signal (2@26):        52 - NTH
Tires (4@85):               340
Cage*:                        385

-----------------------------------------
Sub-total:                 $1753
                                 -595 - NTH

========================
Total:                       $1158

* Requires professional work
NTH - Nice to have
? - Not sure if I need it, maybe a leak culprit

This does not include the need to go over the mechanical of the Scout to make sure it is okay and reduced on the leak front. I need to do the diffs and change the oil still. Minor cheap things there. The above just represents things that need to get done.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 07:25:48 PM »
Paint $$.

I just looked through your link to the Scout. Looks like you have done a lot of work to it already and it is just about complete.

Of course anytime you buy a $5,000 truck there is the possibility that it could cost you $1,158 in needed parts.  :D

Just round the $1,158 up to $3,000 and the Scout could be very nice :D

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 07:43:06 PM »
Yeah, I agree, I mean I know the history of the Scout, I have done an assload of work on it. I do agree that buying any used vehicle consitutes buying it's history. I couldvery well buy a $5K truck that ends up needing work and I am back to square one.

It appears a fellow binder enthusiast will be visiting me tomorrow to help go over the scout with me. I also put an email out to the guy that has done all teh body work for me.

The big three, mechanics, rust, cage. The thing is kind of a death trap now with the lap belts and bolt in roll bar. The only real rust is the bed and windshield frame. Any other rust spots are surface and easily taken care of.

I can live on the almost shot tires a little longer since I don't use the scout much. I need to reduce or stop the remaining little leaks.

Damn you Cole! :) Doesn't mean I wont keep looking at these other trucks while I decide.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 07:57:28 PM »
I never said the truck was a bad idea.  

Just seems from what you have expressed that the Scout *may* be a cheaper solution that fits closer to your heart.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »
I know you didn't, but your rational thought is worth being damned!

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 08:08:16 PM »

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:03 PM »
you guys are killing me with all this scout talk.  I really miss my old one.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
Oh and some of the stuff you want to do just sounds like a fun weekend of wrenching and welding :D   (Not really sure you should let me loose with my welder on your rig 8O )

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »
I only wish I knew how to weld. :(

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »
Mmmm...welding.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 08:44:21 PM »
Nothing more manly than sticking two pieces of metal together with fire! 8O

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 08:55:01 PM »
1998 - 2001

1998 - 2001

2001 - 2003

2003 - Present

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2006, 01:26:39 AM »
All you need is a radio man! You may not have a door frame, but you have subs! I like it, you should keep it ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 06:24:39 PM »
I gots no subs. Those are just 6x9s, I have a CD decks locked away in the tuffy console, is is an Aiwa, it sucks, but it works...sometimes.

So I'm saying what the f*&^! I just ordered some small needed parts for the Scout. I hope to start this weekend.

I am working on refocusing my projects. I am trying to do too many damn things at once.

New order of importance in my life:

Work, School, Scout, BMW, and yet to be determined vehicle.

Yes, the Pasat is there somewhere, but it is gettting no love from me, that is a story for another thread.