Author Topic: Wheel balancing tidbit  (Read 1475 times)

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
Wheel balancing tidbit
« on: September 22, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »
I have been fighting a little bit of a vibration with a new set of tires I purchased.  I took my car back to Big O Tires and found out that they were balanced with a stick on weight and a hammer on weight.

The tech recommended on VW's, Audi's and other performance cars you should use a dual stick on weight.  It definitely makes a difference.  I don't know what the hammer weight does, but it surely doesn't eliminate vibrations.  Stick that one in the memory bank next time you get your wheels balanced.

Also, I got my car aligned at Alignment Masters on S. Broadway. 303-761-7219.  Nice people to deal with and good price 59.99.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: Wheel balancing tidbit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »
most wheels/cars benefit from a combination of a Dynamic and static balance.

The dynamic balance insures that both sides of the wheel and tire are close as possible in weight. When using using hammer weights you can get both sides pretty close, but what happens when you have a static issue? This is where the stick on weights come into play.  

Static balance is when you are trying to get the verticle motion under control due to light or heavy spots in the tires tread or center part of the tire.

A good shop will do all of this and will use stick on weights and place them strategically thru thru the width of the wheels barrel width to get the best overall balance.  

I have noticed many of the shops have good Hunter machines, but it does not appear the techs really know how to use them. That is the biggest problem i have seen. The guys up at Tire Source in Boulder are very good and spent alot of time properly balancing my track wheels and my wifes latest set of wheels.  they also rebalanced my winter setup after Discount tire could not figure out how to get the properly balanced. After 3 tries at Discount, i opted to pay Tire Source to fix it, and they did with 1 try.

I have attached a link that i have used for years to explain tire balancing. I think it is pretty good.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-TireBalance-12803.pdf

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: Wheel balancing tidbit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »