Author Topic: carbotech Brake pads  (Read 2824 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
carbotech Brake pads
« on: September 22, 2006, 12:55:50 PM »
Is anyone running these? I am thinking about picking up a set to see how they compare to my Axxis Ultimates. From the info i can find they have the same operating characteristics, same coefficient of friction, similar MOT, same noisy low pedal pressue sounds, but about 1/4 of the dust of the Ultimates. I am thinking they might be worth a try for the street.

any thoughts?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: carbotech Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:10:18 PM »
Mark Bradley ran them on his A4, he is on Audiworld as ColoradoMark.  He is an instructor for track driving and one of the nicest guys, I would check with him and get his opinion.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:10:18 PM »

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »
I was just looking at these... +1 for opinions  :D Found some details at www.oakos.com. I was just going to go with the Bobcats 'cause I like quiet brakes and I hate cleaning my wheels. :lol:

Friction Material Compounds

The Bobcat compound is a street and AutoX compound that would work for light track use. The Friction Coefficient (Mu) is 0.50-0.55 and a temp range of ambient up to about 900F.

The Panther Plus compound is good for AutoX or moderate track use.  It can be used on the street. However, with an aggressive compound like this, dust and noise can be expected. The Mu is 0.54-0.56 with a temp range of about 150-1250F.

The Panther XP is a race compound friction material designed for track use.  It is not recommended for use on the street. This pad will withstand prolonged use on the race track without fading. The Mu is a lofty 0.58-0.60 and the temp range is from 250 all the way up to a scorching 1350F.
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »
jon -  thanks for the heads up i will e-mail mark.

Turbodub -  I am also looking at the bobcat. It seems like a good all around pad. I will let you know what i find out.

ColoradoMark

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
Quote from: "Eric18T";p="51239"
jon -  thanks for the heads up i will e-mail mark.

Turbodub -  I am also looking at the bobcat. It seems like a good all around pad. I will let you know what i find out.

No need - I lurk here occasionally...

I had great luck with the Carbotechs. When I first tried to order them they did not have them in my size. But I was able to send them a set of used backing plates and they bonded the panther+ compund to them.

I had great success withthem. However I would recommend that if you are looking for some heavy, hot use out of them that you:
Take off the dust shield behind the rotors to let more air get tot he front disks,
Make sure you put them on the front and back axles.

This compound is track only - it will eat rotors if left on 24/7. BTW I had Axxis Ulimates on my MINI, they came with the Stoptech BBK. I oculdn't get them off fast enough. I thought they were terrible on the track.

Withthese and the A8 conversion on mt A4 I was able to keep up or outbreak others that had Brembo and Alcon setups of their A4's.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 08:20:31 PM »
mark - thanks for the info, i was just going to post in the rm section of AW.

these will be for street use only as i still have a set of ferrodo ds3000's for the track.  Have you used just the bobcats or just the panther+? I think the panther+ is more than i need for the street.

these will be going in my stoptechs and when we installed them we bent the dust sheilds a little bit for clearance. So i should be all set there cooling wise.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 09:02:18 PM »
Thanks for filling us in Mark! Yeah I think the bobcats are for me. I really don't want to be eating rotors. I'm gonna put an order in because my stock pads basically SUCK. No fun at all

uhh A8 A4 conversion?! 8O
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

ColoradoMark

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 01:37:40 AM »
Eric - just used the panther+, it sounds like the bobcat compound is more rotor friendly. Probably just what you need!

A8 conversion: In the B5's you can use a TT brake caliper bracker to move the calipers further out which lets you use the larger A8 rotors. This gives you more leverage against the rotors and more mass. Of course the extra weight hurts your unsprung weight but it really helps in preventing brake fade. This is basically a poor man's Big Brake Kit.

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:01:56 PM »
I'm running Bobcats right now F&R.  I have no intention of using them for the track, though.  I bought XP8's to swap in for track days.  Mike Kim, from PureMotorsports (www.purems.com), rusns this setup (Bobcat street, XP8 track).

I've tried swapping in track pads before, but dissimilar compounds mucked up the rotors.  Similar compounds of the Carbotech pads should alleviate this - it works for Mike.

As far as a street pad goes, I really like the Bobcats, although their price is steep - $150 for fronts only!  I've used Hawk HP+ and Axxis Ultimates.

The HP+ were the best but were noisy as hell, dusty as hell, and hard on rotors.
The Axxis Ultimates had great initial bite, and fairly low dust, but not much modulation.
The Bobcats have the best modulation characteristics of any pad I've used on the Passat.  At first, though, they seemed to have poor initial bite.  I think it was from lack of proper bedding.  Ever since I bedded them, they have had good initial bite.  (The Axxis Ultimates had great bite even w/o bedding).

HTH - Rusty
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 06:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the input Rusty. I ended up ordering the Hawk HPS's all around. I heard they are less noisy but still pretty dusty. i can live with that cause i wash my car a LOT. hehe

Now I just need to install them...hopefully some time this weekend!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
thanks rusty. I have the bobcats on order, but they are backordered in the size that fits my stoptechs. :(