Author Topic: Thinking of getting an SUV  (Read 5116 times)

KevB

• Lightly Modded
Thinking of getting an SUV
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:57:11 PM »
I've been toying around with the idea of trading in the GTI for an SUV for a while now.  The GTI is a great car and fun to have, but at this point it's not all that practical anymore.  My wife and I really need something with room for our dog, camping stuff, road trips, etc.  

I'd be looking for a small to mid-size SUV, preferably no older than 2003.  I'm not an avid off-roader, but still something I could confidently take off road.  

Do you guys have any recommendations or experiences to share?

Thanks,

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Thinking of getting an SUV
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »
Yes :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:18:22 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:18:54 PM »
If you feel that you will be hitting terriroty where ground clearance is an issue then an SUC is probably the way to go, however, I would pick a wagon over an SUV.

A wagon is going to get you better gas mileage, weighs less and handles better.

You couldlook at things like the outback and even used Allroads (there is a 4.2 model).

As for actual SUVs I would start looking at the Japanese models, the Toy 4runner, Nissan XTerra, toyota highlander, Honda Pilot.

Just like a car, untily ou go out and look at them you wont really know if it fits your needs. It alsoe depends what options you want and so forth.

Also, to justify my wagon approach, I only bring it up because if you aren't really planning on going to locations impassable by car then it might be a waste of money.

Obviously, do what fits your needs best, but I wouldn't rule out wagons without testing both. :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 02:21:43 PM »

I am a little biased. But I'm happy with my choice. Before we got it, we took one for a weekend and used it like we wanted- camping, dogs, four-wheeling etc. I pretty much removed the rear seats/folded th backs down and put the dog barrier right behind the front seats- they have massive amounts of room and I can haul them and a rear full of stuff. Additionally, Xterrparts.com sells a vinyl protector that I'll be getting that fits over the entire rear cargo area and the backs of the rear seats. Mucho dog friendly and very capable in stock form. I love me truck- new wheels and tires coming hopefully by the end of next week :D

I also know where you can buy this one- and if you're not happy with all the mods, we can talk ;) :

I am the original owner, 67K miles:

SE trim, auto (flushes done every 20K)
3" AC UCA's with SAW torsions, Bilstien 5100 20% shocks, rear is Calmini 3" (shackles +AAL)
2"BL
SLR TR's, newer CL, Rancho steering damper
ARB rear locker
32" MTR's with 95% tread
Shrockworks front & rear bumper, sliders, oil/tranny pan skid, Pathy TC skid
Milemarker 9000Lb winch
Warn Hubs
Alpine HU with Sirius, fosgate 6.5" speakers
JWT intake, Magnaflow muffler

Well cared for, it was driven stock for 5 years before being modded. All scheduled maintenance done, some by Cyclemut. Very clean, reduced price at $11,800. Email me with questions to: sales@(remove)arapahoecyclery.com or 303-619-1918.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »
I drove a Mazda CX-7 a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the power and handling. It had a 2.3l turbo engine (244hp, 258tq) that was nice and spunky.

My friend has a Murano with V6+CVT that is very nice and smooth. Not as punchy as the CX-7 though, and more expensive. I was impressed with the CX-7's pull right off the line with an auto+turbo - there was virtually no lag, and it was a 'tippy' manu-matic which had a good feel to it. I spent much of the drive in manual mode.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:39:57 PM »
It would be going in places inaccessible by car, otherwise I'd look for a B6 Avant.  

I'd really like to know what kind of SUV's people on here have owned, the pluses and minues of them, and if you'd ever own one again.

Thanks again,

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »
I've owned a couple of 4Runners (2000 and 2001) and really liked them.  We're now in a Tacoma Quad-Cab and really, really like it.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Lila

• Lightly Modded
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »
My wife has a 98 Ford Explorer.  It is slow, boring, and gets only moderately decent mileage.  I cannot say it is my favorite vehicle.  But, it's got 100,000 miles and has had no real significant repairs, and it was cheap.  Combine that with the great deals on domestic SUVs, and you may find this a practical way to go.

The Explorer has lots of room and the 4x4 capability is excellent for what it is (an unmodified, boring SUV).  I plug it because I believe it has been a fantastically economical work horse.  If you can pair this kind of vehicle with something a lot more fun to drive (like the GTI), you might find that it is a good choice.

On the other hand, the Japanese do a great job with produing cheap economical vehicles, and there are a lot of choices there.

Mike

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:40:32 PM »
JR and I strongly recommend the Xterra.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 05:28:49 PM »
go allroad.  still has the comforts of a car, and will go places most cars cant.

I do have to admit though we have been looking at an LR3 a little too.  those are nice and can go just about anywhere you would want to.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:37:16 PM »
Yeah, the supercharge LR3- starts at what $71K or somewhere in there? That's like four years of my salary 8O
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 07:27:23 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="51797"
Yeah, the supercharge LR3- starts at what $71K or somewhere in there? That's like four years of my salary 8O

didn't know you could supercharge the LR3, only the LR3 based sport?  hmmmmm?  the LR3's I have seen have been in the 48K range instead.    that way you only need to save for 2 1/2 years or so.   :wink:

oh, and we need to get you a new job with better $
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 07:34:14 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="51811"
oh, and we need to get you a new job with better $

Uh, don't need to tell me that. Denver's not been so kind in that department, but that's another story.

My bad, it was a Rover Sport and I was $1K off it starts at $70K
Build it

8O or a charged Ranger Rover for $90K 8O
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »
well, it is as pricey as that RR, but my sights are set on the ultimate family hauler:

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=R63

If things go well I hope I can pull one of those off in the next couple of years.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »
Quote from: "hotani";p="51780"
I drove a Mazda CX-7 a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the power and handling. It had a 2.3l turbo engine (244hp, 258tq) that was nice and spunky.

My friend has a Murano with V6+CVT that is very nice and smooth. Not as punchy as the CX-7 though, and more expensive. I was impressed with the CX-7's pull right off the line with an auto+turbo - there was virtually no lag, and it was a 'tippy' manu-matic which had a good feel to it. I spent much of the drive in manual mode.

Mazda will also be releasing the CX-9...which has a 250hp V6.  It has brother/sister vehicles as the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX.  I also liked the idea of the CX-7, with a turbo and nice luxuries, but wanted to stay away from premium fuel costs when I got my current wagon.  I doubt it will be able to do the offroad like the other true SUVs out there as it is more derived from a sports car stance than an SUV stance.

I have had Pathfinders and 4Runners and currently we have a Tacoma.  I think if you are going to get SUV, look for something that is made to go offroad, not things like the explorers, etc, that are just HUGE passenger vehicles made for the road...things like the Xterra, Jeep varieties, 4Runners, etc.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:10 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="51815"
well, it is as pricey as that RR, but my sights are set on the ultimate family hauler:http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=R63

That'll get you out of Wal-Mart real fast :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 08:21:04 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="51823"
Quote from: "gragravar";p="51815"
well, it is as pricey as that RR, but my sights are set on the ultimate family hauler:http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=R63

and if Im not careful, after buying the darn thing I'd have to be doing ALL my shopping at Wal-Mart

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 08:25:33 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="51825"
Quote from: "jayryan";p="51823"

and if Im not careful, after buying the darn thing I'd have to be doing ALL my shopping at Wal-Mart

:roflmao: Yeah, well at least that old guy in the electroped security cart won't be able to catch you after you lift that box of mac 'n cheese :roflmao:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 10:09:14 PM »
Kev - We are in the same boat right now. my wife and i have been talking about getting rid of my A4 and getting the Q7. We drove it last night and it was really nice. We also went and looked at and drove  the Toureg. We liked the Q7 better but the price of the V8 Toureg better. Both of those would be good options Kev.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 01:46:40 AM »
Both the Toureg and the Q7 are good, but a little out of reach for me at this point.

I'm sure with enough patience I'll be able to find something that fits my budget, but still is what I'm looking for.  

I plan to go drive Xterrra's tomorrow since that seems to be my best option right now.  They are affordable and have gotten great reviews and rewards since introduction.  I've also been looking at the Land Rover Freelander and will probably go and drive one of those tomorrow as well.

I appreciate all the comments and keep them coming.

Thanks,

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 02:21:18 AM »
The Freelander and Ford Escape are basically the same vehicle IIRC, so keep that in mind while shopping.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 02:27:12 AM »
how about the new toyota fj?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2006, 02:55:44 AM »
My belief is that the new FJ's are still too new and there are no deals to be had on them. I think they are sweet from everything I have read (mags), but I think they are a bit pricey right now.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 03:53:07 AM »
agreed. the FJ's are not had for less than MSRP.  I was looking for one before I got the impreza.  I still want one, but will consider getting one for Betsy in the coming years.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 04:14:18 AM »
I've read some bad things about the FJs for off roading... plus the body styling will be out of style in a short period of time.

KevB

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 07:36:26 PM »
Well the search is now on for a Xterra 4x4 V6 automatic with reasonable miles for less than $16K.

I drove both the Land Rover Freelander and Discovery today and both had a ton of squeaks and rattles.  Also they are very expensive to maintain, so I'm not going to be looking at then anymore.

I then drove a 2003 Xterra 4X4 V6 5spd; no squeks or rattles.  If it was an auto I probably would have put a deposit on it as it was only $15,500.  I really liked it, but felt down on power with only 180hp from the N/A V6.  There are supercharged ones, but I doubt I'll find one in my price range.

I'll be posting a For Sale/Part out thread here shortly, so anyone reading this in need of any MKIV parts keep an eye-out.

Thanks,

Kev
evB
2003 Gti 1.8T

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 09:44:33 PM »
well if you want auto... 4 runners from 3-4 years ago had decent power and you probably could get them at a decent price now.  If I was going to be buy used, I would trust a toyota more than a Nissan... not that nissan is bad, I just feel toyota is one of hte best

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 10:22:43 PM »
Kev: :thumbup: Good choice ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jduawa

• n00balicious
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »
99 4runner, 135K miles so far...
only work we had done was water pump was dripping (had timing belt replaced at same time)
new tires
u joint
normal service interval and tuneups

original brakes are still at around a 6

that thing is a beast, pretty confident it will go another 70-100K

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
I think my buddy is selling his 05 Xterra S, it has like 10,000 miles on it, not sure what he is asking, but I know he needs to sell it somewhat quickly. PM me if you are interested.

This is the best pic i could find here at work... :lol:

09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT