Author Topic: Tivo died :(  (Read 6031 times)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.johnwilker.com
Tivo died :(
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:55:40 PM »
So our Tivo died night before last (Missed LOST) we didn't even know it died until last night.

We're trying to figure out our next move. We have a DirectTV DVR in the basement. SUCKS. I'm sure we're spoiled by the Tivo UI.

We tried to see if QWEST offered Tivo support with Dual tuners... sales guy not the brightest. YOu guys know if cable supports dual tuner?

Worse case we'll have to pay the "don't use our equipment" tax with directTV to use Tivos, since they don't offer tivo boxes any more.

Hopefully that makes sense LOL
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Tivo died :(
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
I know Dish does- if you want to switch over, let me know and I'll have you use me as a "reference" so we can both get credits on our bill. I tested they're DVRs for a long time, the tech is great and so is the UI.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »
Quote from: "jwilker";p="52099"
YOu guys know if cable supports dual tuner?

comcast's DVR is dual tuner
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

coveredbytheblood

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="52101"
Quote from: "jwilker";p="52099"
YOu guys know if cable supports dual tuner?

comcast's DVR is dual tuner

Comcast uses a dual tuner.  I have one.  :-P  Not only am I a subscriber I am also a Comcast member.
Coveredbytheblood, JC's blood

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:26:39 PM »
I have a TiVo in an unopened box that we never used...it is now for sale if you want it ;)  $50 and you can have it, never opened.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
I have a series 1 upgraded to 80GB you can frakkin have. It requires a phone line connection to talk to the mothership.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »
BTW...you can watch Lost for free on ABC.com, not the best to be in front of the computer to watch, but at least you won't be missing anything.

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »
Hotani, phone line isn't needed. The only thing it gets you is over teh line firmware updates. When we lived in Cali we have Vonage. No Tivo love. No problems. All programming and guide data is over the air.

03Indigo, Series 1 or 2? 80 or 180 hour?

The answer we got from qwest was no love. They even called tivo. Guess tivo needs an alog line(s) for dual tuner and Qwest doesn't offer that at all. Bummer.

At this point we're just sucking it up and paying the (rape) fee for using tivo on DirectTV.

So the comcast you can do watch 1, record 1, or record 2 at the same time, right?
Amazing how hard that is to, it seems. at least with a Tivo in the loop
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:13:53 PM »
you don't have to pay for programming stuff for TiVo?  I thought you had to pay the membership fees to use it.

I have no idea what ours is, I have to go into the basement, find it and see what it is.

Can TiVo be used without having to pay?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »
just went down and found the box...series 2 and 40 hours of recording time.  Not sure how much memory that is, but think it is the smaller of the 2.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
I want a Tivo box. Can I have a Tivo Box? That would really, really nice. Charles? Will you offer me yours- can I make the HD in it bigger? I want to record content from my HD receiver with it.

Dish Network's dual-tuner DVR STB is really nice- $5/mo for DVR. I have one. And an HD receiver 'cause I don't wanna pay $200 for the HD DVR :?
Programming's cheaper than Comcast too. And I don't even work for Dish anymore :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:25:47 PM »
Yeah I think it's 5 a month? not sure. our has forever been buried in our directTV bill LOL.

Ah 40.. too small. Wife wants 180 hour. I'd take it off your hands and up the HDD, but not too savvy on Tivo hacking.... yet. Thanks though!
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 06:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="52111"
I want a Tivo box. Can I have a Tivo Box? That would really, really nice. Charles? Will you offer me yours- can I make the HD in it bigger? I want to record content from my HD receiver with it.

Dish Network's dual-tuner DVR STB is really nice- $5/mo for DVR. I have one. And an HD receiver 'cause I don't wanna pay $200 for the HD DVR :?
Programming's cheaper than Comcast too. And I don't even work for Dish anymore :lol:

It's yours if you want it. It was originally a 20GB and I added a 60 to it to make 80 total. It will not output HD content, just SD. It is one of the first models, but still works.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
no worries.  I need to find a way to trick the tivo and have it for manual programming, but I have not even looked into it.  Betsy wants one for working out and recording all her shows that she watches while working out.  She uses a VCR currently so it has never been a big issue, but she is getting tired of dealing with tapes.

So, if anyone knows how to trick the TiVo without all that computer stuff and massive alterations, let me know :)

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
you can make the HDD bigger in tivo boxes. Ours (dead one) was an 80gb and we put a 160gb in it. well a friend did. It's my understanding (no clue if it's correct) you have to get jiggy with copying the existing HD over to clone the OS or some stuff. not sure. but do-able, it is.
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »
When I did mine, the new drive being added needed to be formatted with a little utility I downloaded off the intertubes. After that it was pretty much plug-n-play. I opened the tivo, plugged in the new drive and it was assimilated on reboot.

That was adding an additional drive though, if you actually replace the existing drive then the OS has to be loaded which is a little more involved.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 06:56:24 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="52114"
no worries.  I need to find a way to trick the tivo and have it for manual programming, but I have not even looked into it.  Betsy wants one for working out and recording all her shows that she watches while working out.  She uses a VCR currently so it has never been a big issue, but she is getting tired of dealing with tapes.

So, if anyone knows how to trick the TiVo without all that computer stuff and massive alterations, let me know :)

Manually recording is not a problem. It will gripe at you occasionally about not being able to communicate with the mothership but you can ignore that. Basically when it is disconnected you don't have any programming info and it acts like a VCR.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 07:07:25 PM »
cool, I will have to try that next week and see what happens.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »
Charles, what inputs/outputs does it have? Does it have DVI or HDMI? The HD content should remain the same since it's already been decoded by the receiver- you won't be able to keep nearly as much becauase it requires so much more space. But if you're not going out of the thing digitally (HDMI, DVI etc.) you're hosed.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 07:34:14 PM »
Yeah the best this thing has is S-video.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "hotani";p="52123"
Yeah the best this thing has is S-video.

Ouch. Ne'ermind ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:25 PM »
dont know if you all have charter communications in denver however they have a MOXI box thats is tivo disguised. watch 1 record 1 or record 2 while watching one of them. also has 100 hours of recordabilitie. ALSO A REALLY COOL FEATURE, the box can burn to dvd disks for your shows. the disks wont play anywhere other than a moxi box , thats the drawback.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 02:46:42 PM »
Jon or Charles- either of you still have yours? I want to pick one up and play with it...see if I like 'em or not..

Thanks!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
yup I've got mine if you want one to mess with. I'll be back in town next week. It is a series 1 and only has the phone connector, none of this newfangled "USB" or "network cable" business. Back in my day....

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 09:03:02 PM »
I still have mine, sitting in the sealed box still.  Not sure what it has really.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 12:32:36 AM »
Jon- If JR dosent take that one off your hands, I could use it. I need a tuner for my new samsung 32".
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 04:31:52 AM »
I want to try to see if I can get it to work without a membership first...Betsy would rather use that than a VCR that she uses now.  I am just too lazy to give it a try.  Maybe I will do that next week.  If she does not like it...ie-too frustrating for her to program....then anyone is welcome to it for $50.  Of course it will be open at that time, but still, it is unused.

I guess I now have a reason to give it a try.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 05:41:32 PM »
Sounds good.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

jwilker

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 09:10:58 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="54017"
I want to try to see if I can get it to work without a membership first...Betsy would rather use that than a VCR that she uses now.  I am just too lazy to give it a try.  Maybe I will do that next week.  If she does not like it...ie-too frustrating for her to program....then anyone is welcome to it for $50.  Of course it will be open at that time, but still, it is unused.

I guess I now have a reason to give it a try.

Good luck. That'd be a nice trick. Just FYI a membership is 15 bones a month
ohn Wilker
'06 A4 Avant, 2.0T
Blog i
Blog II

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 02:45:25 AM »
you can use it in "VCR-mode" with no problem. It might gripe about not being able to talk to the mothership but it will still record stuff. I used mine like this for a while after canceling the service.