Author Topic: Winter Tires  (Read 3575 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Winter Tires
« on: December 08, 2003, 11:49:48 AM »
Yo yo's! I was out on the last winter tire conversation, anyway, I need to pick up some good snow tires without spending my whole paycheck. What are your recommendations? Will just any snow tire work or are there brands I need to shy away from?
I'm probably going to pick them up today. So fess up. You guys rock.
 :wink:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Winter Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 12:52:42 PM »
Hey JR, I have Blizzak WS-50's and they are great in the snow and ice, and ok on dry pavement.

I say they are only okay, because for 15" wheels the extreme sidewall height is wobbly in turns since I don't think they are steel belted.  Pat has some Dunlops he liks and Blizzak also makes LM-22 (I think that's the one) so check on those as well.

You better get them this morning, since you'll be seeing snow today!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Winter Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 12:52:42 PM »

madigan

• Modded
Winter Tires
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 01:57:09 PM »
Check out the Firestone Affinity's too. Shummer and I have them and they have good traction and aren't too noisy. I'm not sure how they are $$$ compared to the Dunlop's though. Just another option... Let us know what you get. :)
mad wagon

shummer

• Modded
Winter Tires
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 03:14:24 PM »
I'm diggin' the Firestone Affinity all-seasons as my dedicated winter tire. It was a difficult decision between choosing a decent all-season vs. snow tire for my winter needs. My wife's Subaru Outback played into the decision also.

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Winter Tires
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:54:46 PM »
I've got Dunlop M2's, but they might cost more than you want to spend.  They feel pretty damn good on dry pavement and I've only had them on snow once so far and they didn't do as well as I would have hoped (for a snow tire).  I wonder if I could get similar results with a mud & snow all-season.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Winter Tires
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 08:36:12 PM »
Runnig Blizzaks and so far quite happy.  I have ventured into the Mtns 3 times, all in questionable conditions and not one slip.

I agree the roll of the sidewal is a bit too much, but than again i have an extremely heavy right foot and no suspention upgrades

I know, I am a dork!!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Winter Tires
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:39:45 PM »
Hey Randy,

I have been very happy with the blizzaks in the snow.  I even went up to Jackson, WY last winter and had zero issues and that place has a LOT of snow.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tires
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 08:41:57 PM »
Well today will be a good test for them too..

I can not wait to pass all the Soccer-Moms in their GIANT SUV's in the ditch...

"But I had it in 4 Wheel Drive..."

HAHAHAHHAHA
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Winter Tires
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 08:43:52 PM »
And that's another good reason not to lower your ride yet.  I usually don't have any issues with that though unless I'm driving through fresh snow that hasn't been plowed yet.  I have high centered before though...hehe.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
Winter Tires
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 08:46:16 PM »
I may be a dork, but I is no idiot!!

Actually that is the reason I have not lowered the old Sled just yet...got to get throught the winter and all the weekend drive to Steamboat
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Winter Tires
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 01:31:33 PM »
I went to BigO and picked four Nankook studless. Talk about huge difference! They're not supernice, but compared to the worn out conti's...these are amazing.

It would be cheaper for me in the long run to get these for the winter and then a set of performance for the summer instead of one set of all-seasons.

I was suprised, but did find a killer set of Falkien's I may get for the summer for the same price as what I paid for my winters. Unless of course I can
find a bargain set of 17's...

I'm happy and feel better about my wife driving in the snow now...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

RobD

• Modded
Winter Tires
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 02:40:28 PM »
Perfect time for me to chime in.  I ordered some Siempert Sportgrips from Discount tires online.  They showed up yesterday afternoon and I had them mounted and installed last evening.  I went this route (195/65/15) 'cause I got tired (no pun) of waiting for Meadow Creek to get the Nokian WR's (billed as true 4 season tire) in a V rating.  I read the review that AtomicAlex posted on cb5 in the tire forum and decided on these.  They list for 65 each shipped but I talked the guy down to 56 each delivered.  Add 42 to mount and balance and life is much better.  

I too had the ws50 and was very pleased with their performance.  I also was looking at the Hankook 404 and was tempted to go that but I found this other deal.

Enjoy the snow and be safe.

Rob

PS there is a guy on AW classifeds selling the Dunlap M2's in various sizes for pretty cheap.  2055516 for 78 each delivered and these are posted and brand new!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Winter Tires
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 06:28:27 PM »
Thanks Rob...a happy snow-throwing to you and yours! And to the rest of ya'll as well...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Winter Tires
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 08:06:05 PM »
Well I have some new tires.  My front driver side tire just couldn't hold air anymore.  It had been getting progressively worse to the point I filled it up this morning and it was down to about 10psi at lunch.

So I swung by the Sears down the street since I really didn't have the option to go far. They wouldn't even try to fix the tire because of the tread wear.

I got some Bridgestone Winterforce, S rated, nothing fancy, do the job, 65K mile warranty and the road hazzard.  I always seem to get a flat at some point.

I'm satisfied so far, then again they only need to get me through 5 months a year :).  Also, I think they will be a little better in the snow and wet than the Contis were.  I'm really praying that I get to do some skiing this year.

I wont be winning any races in them, but that's what the Summer wheels are for anyway ;).

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Winter Tires
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 01:28:45 PM »
Good to hear Jay...I know my right driver's side would drop about 20-25psi in a day...and my treadwear was pretty bad.

I figure since it costs about 4 Franklin's for new tires, I was going to try and find someone who wants to rid themselves of a set of wheel and tires for a few hundred bucks more...

It's a plan anyway... :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner