Author Topic: Total Member Count  (Read 3455 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Total Member Count
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »
In the coming weeks you will probably see our total member count decrease, and probably pretty drastically.

Pretty much every account with a post count of zero will be removed if it is older than a yet to be determined date. This is primarily being done in preparation for a move to new software and also just to do some long needed cleanup.

We still have a lot of users back from Greg's repo story that was an internet sensation for a week. We had a lot of signups from people that never came back after reading the story. Some posted and their accounts will stay to keep their posts.

I doubt anyone will have a problem with this, but I know a lot of you long term folks have enjoyed the milestones of seeing our member count go up, but does it look like we have over 600 people posting? :)

So yeah, sorry for all the posts on changes and things like that, I am always trying to improve the site for all of you and to make sure that we can easily be found by people looking for a resource such as this.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Total Member Count
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
GIVE JAY BEER!! JAY FOR GOVERNOR!! JAY FOR PRESIDENT!!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="52733"
I doubt anyone will have a problem with this, but I know a lot of you long term folks have enjoyed the milestones of seeing our member count go up, but does it look like we have over 600 people posting? :)

Most of 'em just post in the super secret forum which we cant see.   :wink:

Quote from: "gietl";p="52733"

So yeah, sorry for all the posts on changes and things like that, I am always trying to improve the site for all of you and to make sure that we can easily be found by people looking for a resource such as this.

don't appologize jay.  you are doing an awesome job to keep this site running, and keeping us all informed about what is going on.  I don't think you'll find anything other than a mass of support for posts like this one.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 03:17:46 PM »
Sounds good to me.... it will be a lot easier to find members in the member section when you (I) need to send a PM to them.  

Thanks Jay.  It is really nice that you spend so much time making this forum so great.  JR and I have talked multiple times on how RMCB5 spoils you.  And we seem to always talk about how great this forum is over all the others we see, like Xterra ones.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
RONINwheelers.com is rad though. Because there's not a bunch of *insert derogetory term here* guys running it with a bunch of BS.

Just like here, no BS but man, Jay, you've got mad skillz bro!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:10:52 PM »
Aww shucks guys...   :D

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:14:18 PM »
Awww deleteing all of my internet groupies...

I supose ill live some how.  :D

Keep up the good work Jay!
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 09:29:04 PM »
I just want a Sci-Fi forum, that is all I ask.  Get rid of the useless no poster, arcade only playing fools, and give us a sci-fi forum so us geeks can disucss books, shows, movies....etc.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:57:47 AM »
sounds good jay. just don't delete some of that have been so busy we don't get a chance to post any more. :(

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 01:21:45 AM »
I'd like a Private forum where we can post stuff that is not for everyone (and every web archive.)
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 01:40:08 AM »
Eric no worries man, I wont delete anyone with a post count. I don;t have the time to go through and see what everyone has posted, maybe some day I will go from the zero counts to the one counts and maybe the two counts, but I don;t have that kind of time.

As for the suggestions of certain restricted forums, I do hear your voices and do agree to an extent. However, I have always had a lot of pride in RMCB5 in that we have nothing to hide. Some other forums have heavy restrictions, that you have to be invited or accepted into a group to view forums.

To me that is not an inclusive environment but is exclusive. I do understand that aspect for friendly GTGs like BBQs and liquor tastings. Things like a Sci Fi and 4 wheel forum, are good ideas as well, but we have to remember what this site is and what it is about.

I am still patiently waiting for the final release of the software we are going to switch to, so depending on how long that takes I would prefer to wait until that conversion.

And yes, we do have a couple "secretive" forums which are for our advertising and admin/moderator discussions. Unfortunately the advertising forum is dead but on the other hand the good news is the admin forum gets hardly any activity. A few years ago it was one of the hottest forums on here. Thankfully those days are long gone.

Anyway, even with this software and the new we can look into adding certain forums. We can offer group restrictions or whatnot.

Really in the end I always want this to be an open arms site that wwelcomes everyone, except the spammers. We have always been that way and plant o stay that way. We may not have huge numbers, we may not do as much stuff with the community as we used to.

So yeah there it is I would count on there being two GTG forums, one for normal big public place group GTGs and a private logged in only GTG forum for personal events to cut down on those damn bots and harvesters.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »
Yes I am not trying to exclude any logged-in users and create a clique, just avoiding the bots and harvesters.  I'd feel better about posting phone numbers, addresses, etc. that way.

Thanks for all the hard work.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Created the new forum today. ;)

Eric

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.setuning.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »
cool. i'm still here! haha

E

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
Yeah, it's not like I am some dictator that is just going to expunge accounts. I am talking like people that signed up three years ago, then never returned, never posted once. Those guys will be gone.

I guess the original post wasn't really detailed. Just preparing for a software move everyone who has a post count of 1 or more is safe. The sucky thing...I will have to query all accounts to find the real post count since this software sucks and cant keep track of posts properly.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="52781"
Yeah, it's not like I am some dictator that is just going to expunge accounts. I am talking like people that signed up three years ago, then never returned, never posted once. Those guys will be gone.

I guess the original post wasn't really detailed. Just preparing for a software move everyone who has a post count of 1 or more is safe. The sucky thing...I will have to query all accounts to find the real post count since this software sucks and cant keep track of posts properly.

I did notice you got my post count fixed.  thanks.  you still need to fix yours though.  currently it looks like you are Jay, the noob admin.   :wink:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 07:53:19 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="52734"
GIVE JAY BEER!! JAY FOR GOVERNOR!! JAY FOR PRESIDENT!!

+1!!!
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT