Author Topic: Tail Tint Problems  (Read 8931 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Tail Tint Problems
« on: December 22, 2003, 03:01:46 AM »
Well, I'm in Salt Lake and went the car wash last night to clean it up after the trip...low and behold, I sprayed off most of my custom tail tint :x
Looks like I'll be spraying again soon.... :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 03:24:58 AM »
JR, didn't you know, after you do that to your tail lamps you aren't suppose to wash your  for like, ever!????!!!  8O  :P  :lol:

That sucks man. Hopefully you'll be able to clean them up properly and get it done right the next time around. Did you use some sort of clear coat after the tint color went on?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 03:24:58 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 12:17:23 PM »
Basically if it is coming off you will really need to sand them down, probably just a wet sand with like a 240 grit or something like that.

That will rough it up enough to accept the paint and to keep it from flaking off.  

I kind of acept the flaking and the potential of redoing these every year just so I don't have to sand my lights.  Mainly because I don't want to spend $200 replacing the rear lights if I need to sell my car.

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 10:22:41 PM »
A guy in the audi world site tinted his rear lights with 35% window tint from checker. It looked extremly nice. I would recommend that from other experience. That way you can just remove the tint when you wanna sell.

Just what I saw, dont know how well it stays, looked good in the pics thought. I though about it but that might be too dark of a car for me. I kinda like the red offset in the back.
att

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 03:55:22 PM »
The red definately looks nice.
That is something I entertained, but window tint is designed for the inside of the windows which doesn't necessarily encounter the harsh outdoor conditions.
Like you said, I'm so certain that it will stay on well. Of course, I could just see for myself, it's not like it's expensive or anything.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 06:55:26 PM »
I gave it a shot and it was a royal PITA!  The shape of the tail lights makes it very hard to get the film on with out any bubbles or wrinkles.

Stick with the paint if you keep the look.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 05:02:35 PM »
Thanks Kraut...I'm not planning on getting rid of the car, so I think I'll just sand them down..

Right now though, I think I like the "my taillights got a bad sunburn and are now peeling" look.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 06:16:37 PM »
Mine peeled off about out week ago.  I noticed it started to peel and crack and I just went to the car wash and cleaned the rest off with the power wand wash.  I like the look, but I think to do it right it would be an all day process in the right environment with the right tools.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 09:04:45 PM »
Like Kraut said, I did the tint on my girlfriends Jetta. It looks good in the night or far away "like 5'-10'), but if you get close you can see the creases in the tint from trying to streatch around the lense. Like he said it was a PITA. Might work with better tint that can stretch or be heated to mold. I have heard of that working but might be expensive. I then did her front side clearance lights with the Testors model window tint spray. It works really really well. Just have to make sure to spray thin coats and wet sand the light to get all bumps off before hand. I will post some pics tomorrow if I remember. I am redoing her rear lights tomorow sometime.  I will post those too. After painting about 3-4 coats I used a clear coat for protection. Gives it the stock shine that lasts. (hopfully)

check back for pics tomorrow   :cool:
att

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 12:28:41 AM »
Better yet guys, you may be able to order some paint that will work better.  Jay turned me on to this site, but when you order the paint, you can order it to go on specific sufaces, so they may make something that will work better on the tails.

Since I used the same tint you guys used and mine never came off, there must be something you are doing differently.  How are you washing your cars?  Are you using the high power sprayers?  I stayed away from those.  

I did get a nice HVLP sprayer for christmas that I am looking forward to using, so maybe another tail tinting day is in order for spring?

Here's the paint place...

http://www.paintscratch.com/
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 01:40:35 PM »
Quote from: "BlackA4"
check back for pics tomorrow   :cool:

Sorry I went boarding and never got to the job yet. Maybe this week I will tackle the job. Until then I'll let ya know.  :-(
att

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 02:32:19 PM »
same thing happen on my old golf when i tinted them washed right off.

try this wet sand the tails with 400wet,
then paint the tint,
take them to a body shop to be sprayed with 4-5 coats of clearcoat and then baked.

it cost some $40-50 but they did not wash off for the year i still had the car...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Pics are finally here!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 10:47:49 PM »
They look really nice IMO, 2 coats of clear and 3-4 coats of Testors Transparent Model Window Tint :cool:
:Jetta Images unlinked, see my gallery.
att

BlackA4

• n00balicious
Latest Mod...
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 05:53:40 PM »
Latest mod...... tinted my tail lights last night.  :-D  
Flash was on, so they are a little bit darker.

att

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 06:09:13 PM »
Looks good Matt!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Tinteks.com

• n00balicious
Re: Tail Tint Problems
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 01:52:29 AM »
guys... i have the perfect cure for smoked lights.
painting them always fades and looks blotchy.
windowfilm weathers terrible and is impossible not to crease it.

I have a smoked bra material that i have been using for quite some time and it works awesome.

i have done quite a few installs lately.
it is a thick material that requires some patients and know how. i usually pull the lights so i can wrap the edges so it wont ever peel.
once its cools down it creates a shell barrier and stays to the shape.
the material isnt cheap and the install process takes a decent amount of time. the finished outcome is very nice.
if your looking to get your tails smoked just give me a ring at the shop.
i do tails,reflectors,3rd brake lights,mirrors signals etc. pretty much anything that can be covered.

heres a few pictures of the outcome.

i also have been doing headlight refurbishing.

Dan
Tinteks.com
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:28:57 AM by Tinteks.com »

Mcstiff

• Stock
    • Work
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
Nice. So with the red you could make a red that blinks yellow. Might need that when I go S2/RS2 bumper. 

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, but thinking what nobody has thought."

Tinteks.com

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »
Nice. So with the red you could make a red that blinks yellow. Might need that when I go S2/RS2 bumper. 

not sure if i understand you correctly.
did you mean laying red over a yellow to blink red instead of yellow? hard to say..might end up blinking orange.

Mcstiff

• Stock
    • Work
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »
not sure if i understand you correctly.
did you mean laying red over a yellow to blink red instead of yellow? hard to say..might end up blinking orange.

Think Range Rover tails. They are red but the turn signal blinks yellow. I am thinking of doing red film on the turn signals that will be mounted in my bumper so that they blend into the paint. Amber light would be ok.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:53:05 PM by Mcstiff »

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, but thinking what nobody has thought."

Tinteks.com

• n00balicious
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
gotcha..
shouldnt be a problem.
 8)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:55 PM »
damn that tint film looks good on the tails.