Author Topic: HEADING YOUR WAY  (Read 5100 times)

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
HEADING YOUR WAY
« on: December 05, 2006, 10:43:26 PM »
whats up guys , havn't posted much i have been busy with tests and finals. haha on my last week of school at the community college in stl missouri. but me and 6 of my buddies are going to breckenridge colorado at the beginning of January. we are leaving at like midnight on the 2nd 3rd of jan and i think its a 15-16 hour drive to breckenridge from missouri and staying till the 10th( 6 DAYS OF SNOWBOARDING AT BRECKENRIDGE AND KEYSTONE AT NIGHT). however we are coming in on highway 70 i think. my buddy has been and said its rough drive through the mountains, even when its not snowing.  so we decided to take my audi for one of the cars on the trip.  any thing i should be aware of on the road.  my buddy said something about chains but i think my AWD will handle it right? other things is i have street tires meant for dry conditions. do you think i can make it there with these tires. there bridgstone potenzas i think.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: HEADING YOUR WAY
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »
Chain laws are only for semis and 2wd vehicles, not sure if you have snow tires for the car or not. I would not drive it if you are running "summer" hi perf tires. You will get stuck or wreck if it snows.

I-70 isn't bad, just lots and lots of traffic. If it is snowing just take it easy AWD helps with traction but it does not make you invincible.

Just keep an eye on the weather, weather.com is good leading up to your trip so you know how to progress.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 01:03:28 AM »
get at least all season tires (rated M+S), or some winter tires (with a snowflake symbol), or bring a different car.  if you are really running summer tires, going anywhere near the mountains means you'll have a high risk of ending up in a ditch, or worse.

Drive safe and have a good trip.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:16 AM »
i appreciate the advice guys. anyone know a website  i can get some winter or any other tires for my trip. i have 18 inch rims and tires that are on it now  are about 2 and 1/2 inchs wide. i could probley only spend 400 on tires i dunno if i can get some for that.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:03:22 PM »
look for hankook icebears from discount tire.  they are pretty darn good in the snow and awesome (for a snow tire) in the dry.

http://www.discounttire.com
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
It's a shame these are 5x100
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/244074179.html

If you're on a budget, I would look for a used set of wheels and tires in decent shape on craigslist or local Vortex forums for the trip into the mountains like these guys said. Maybe something like this you can pick up and swap on the way.

If you pick some up in Denver, I'd be happy to give you a place downtown Denver to store your summers for the week or so you're up here.

Seriously, please listen to them, do NOT try to take summer tires up there. Chains will help, but not in all conditions.
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:05:16 PM »
I am going to throw this out, but would anyone have a spare set of stock wheels/tires that he could borrow while here.  Unless he is running 18" for a reason other than for looks/perf, he could easliy plug a 15-16" wheel.

Just a thought to help a brotha out while he enjoys our mountains.

P.S.  I would offer a set if I had one.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 03:11:50 PM »
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2542501&page=22

There's a guy selling 17" winter tires there for $100 with 75% tread left.
Pick those up and a set of 17" steelies, mount them and go for well within your budget.

17" snow tires continental contriwinter contact 205/50r17'
these are good tires just need rims to go on came off of a bmw low profile only used for about a year and a half 75% tred is still there 100 obo contact me @ alternomad@msn.com for pics
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »
I have a set of 17" snow tires you could borrow, but I have no spare rims for them

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:26 PM »
Check the classifieds for a set of stockers or a wheel/snow tire setup.  They turn up cheap now and then.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:20:06 PM »
thanks a million for the advice brothers. i appreciate everything i think i will look for a set of rims and tires just for the snow. also i talked to my mother and she is thinking of letting me take here 07 durango.(i really dont want to though, that sucker drinks gas!!) like more then twice my car (400 miles to 60+ dollars). i am getting 500 miles in my audi on the highway with 93 octane. only costs me 35 bucks in missouri to fill her up to. things are still a little up in the air i am not sure if i should just get some wheels and tires or just borrow moms car.

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 06:31:59 PM »
lol whats really fucked up is my freinds that i am going with, who have been up there before and i havn;t. they are all telling me it will be fine, and nah man ur good. (what a bunch of asses) they just want a ride and dont care bout my car.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 05:00:04 AM »
Yeah, Colorado weather changes really quickly, it could be nice and sunny one minute and 15 minutes later you are in a blizzard. Good luck on teh quest for some snows/all seasons.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »
For whats it's worth, I live in Breckenridge and would not drive around in the winter on summer tires........Michelin Pilot Sport AS are on the limit.....shame they don't make BF Goodrich Allterrains in my size.......?
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:37 PM »
Quote from: "English";p="53502"
BF Goodrich Allterrains in my size.......?

that would be sweet to see your allroad on bfg a/t's.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 11:04:02 PM »
Quote from: "bog4rt";p="53437"
i am getting 500 miles in my audi on the highway with 93 octane.

make sure your ECU is loaded with the 91 oct program we DO NOT have 93 octane here in Colorado.

And please if you are going to bring your Audi here in the winter put some decent winter rubber on there.  The Hankook w300 is a good all around winter tire and it is affordable.  The roads can get sketchy up there if it snows, and we don't need anymore yahoo's up there on summer rubber.  also ask around back there at some of the tire places, they might have some used winter tires and maybe some used 15-16" steel wheels.

I listened to a guy from Missouri bitching at the shell station up in Silverthorne 2 weeks ago because he was having a hard time driving on the roads, he blaims the CO DOT, but he was trying to drive GY F1's in the snow. I felt like letting him know he was a moron, but i decided not too. Not 5 minutes later he was backing up traffic because he couldn't get up the on ramp to get back on i-70. Luckily he slid off the edge of the road, then the rest of us were able to  pass him.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 02:21:24 AM »
There is 93 octane in Colorado. I know of two locations:
Petro Stop, Parker and Quincy
On the west side of Berthoud where 287 used to run past before they switched 287 to bypass the town to the north and west.

Both are a bit out of the way for a trip up I-70 into the mountains
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "methodicalmayhem";p="53516"
Petro Stop, Parker and Quincy

i am not sure about the quality of that 93 oct over there. My car was pulling more timing running the petro stop 93 oct fuel on my 91 oct software than i do with regular shell 91 oct fuel.  there is something weird about that fuel. i have run 2 tanks of it and my car ran worse on it than any other fuel i have tried.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 09:55:48 PM »
I've only filled up with it once so I cant say either way. I usually go with shell 91 since they are closer to my routes of travel than the petro stop.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 02:02:03 AM »
wow not many stations with 93 octane huh. in illinios about 90 minutes from my house that have 100+ octane. i am afraid to go buy it though so i havn';t yet...

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 02:15:17 AM »
All of our fuel grades are lower in octane rating, the need is reduced to some degree by the altitude.  This is less true for turbo cars but in cold weather is's really not a big deal.  I would not try driving up the pass at WOT for 10 minutes though.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »
We do have 100 Octane at the Sinclare in the Tech Center of you don't mind $6/Gal. :D
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »
Quote from: "34k";p="53543"
We do have 100 Octane at the Sinclare in the Tech Center of you don't mind $6/Gal. :D

That would be fun for a tank.  See what it would do.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 03:37:29 PM »
Quote from: "StarlightB5";p="53545"
Quote from: "34k";p="53543"

That would be fun for a tank.  See what it would do.

be careful, it becomes adictive.  $6/gal gas quickly becomes an expensive crack habit.

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 03:41:51 PM »
Quote from: "gragravar";p="53546"
$6/gal gas quickly becomes an expensive crack habit.

Hey hey hey, i can stop and walk away from it ANNNY TIME. i just don't want to.
Andrew

2003 GTI
1992 GTI