Author Topic: NWS...Blizzard warning in effect until noon Thurs.  (Read 5156 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
NWS...Blizzard warning in effect until noon Thurs.
« on: December 20, 2006, 12:07:21 PM »
They changed the warning at 6am today, from winter storm warning to blizzard warning.  Looks like most of the snow will hit the eastern parts of the state.  Can you imagine the drifts out there with the 15-25mph winds we are having now 8O  :x

Anyway, as of 7am here in Parker, we have an inch, some blowing already as there are some bare areas on the driveway, but other areas that have about a foot drifted already.  I am gonna wait until lunch time to start snow removal as I think that is when it is gonna pile up more.  Not gonna do the walk way, as with the last major dump in October, right after I finished the sidewalks, they plowed our street and it got all covered up :evil: ....but at least our street gets plowed, so I won't complain too much.  I'll just wait until after they do the street to do the walk way.

This should make for somemore fun puppy pictures :D

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
Re: NWS...Blizzard warning in effect until noon Thurs.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »
I opened the door to walk to the bus, stood there a few seconds, then closed the door. I am SO not going in to downtown today.

Anyone up here want to slide over to Pho Duy later?
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:49 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:38:42 PM »
if I still lived up north, I would.  I am home today as well.  But the drive up north would take all day, from what I am seeing on TV.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:46:38 PM »
Yeah I was figuring around an hour bus ride to downtown (after being 30 minutes late leaving my house), then no telling what it would be like later this afternoon with a good dumping of snow on the ground. sheesh.

Fortunately I can do all my work stuff from here, comes in handy on days like this.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:24 PM »
well I can't go anywhere so I jut sit here and watch it snow and watch Kona go nuts in th snow. I hope my Dad comes by at some point to use the monster snow thrower. I think he's coming by this afternoon.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »
Jay, you have a snow blower?  If he can't make it, I can always try to swing by  :twisted: Snow blowers are FUN.  I wish I had one for the house.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 02:10:19 PM »
I'm supposed to pick Lena and the girls up from the airport this afternoon at 3pm. :x  :cry:  :(  :o

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 02:20:29 PM »
they may be sent somewhere else.  I heard on the news that the airport may be closing soon.  :(  :cry:

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "shummer";p="53836"
I'm supposed to pick Lena and the girls up from the airport this afternoon at 3pm. :x  :cry:  :(  :o

you might want to leave now.   :wink:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »
I'm trying to check the status of their flight. Frontier Airlines web-site is stinking slow.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:41:56 PM »
frontier has cancelled several flights:

from  http://www.flydenver.com/

Peña Boulevard is snowpacked and icy in spots.  Motorists should use caution driving to or from the airport.

A number of airlines have announced flight cancellations:

United and United Express – 210 flights canceled after noon today.

Frontier – 32 flights canceled after 1:30 p.m.

Northwest – all flights today have been canceled.

American – all flights have been canceled today except for three arrivals and four departures.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 02:47:28 PM »
Yep, flydenver.com shows the flight still "on time", but Frontier says otherwise.

Frontier Flight Cancellations
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Flight 105 - Minneapolis/St. Paul to Denver

Andrew, I guess I'll pick up the car seat tomorrow.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
sounds good.

I am supposed to head over to Broomfield for meetings tomorrow, but we'll see.  If I am not here, Stacie will be, so you can still stop by to get the seat.  our house is more on your way to the airport than broomfield is.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="53835"
Jay, you have a snow blower?  If he can't make it, I can always try to swing by  :twisted: Snow blowers are FUN.  I wish I had one for the house.

Yes, I have a monster snow blower, it is very heavy duty, has 6 forward gears and a reverse, separate drive and auger controls. I bought it in the spring at Home Depot for like 60% off. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »
ohhhh, I am gonna get me a snow blower next spring.  My drive way is way too big on days like today.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 05:52:14 PM »
this afternoon is going to suck.   I waited too long to start the snow removal.  the drifts in the driveway are above the top of the plow blade on the lawn tractor, so they are going to take many multiple passes to clear.  

that and, although the tractor has a full tank of gas, the gas cans are empty.  I attempted a run into town to the gas station to fill them up before things got REALLY bad.  well, thing are REALLY bad, there wasn't enough visibility to make it out of the sub division - I couldn't tell where the road was after about 1/2 mile from home so had to turn around and come back.  

On a positive note, the allroad plus snow tires handled the 3 foot drifts well.   I guess if the tractor runs low I can siphon some gas from the cars and motorcycle.  

This is going to me a multiple hour project to clear the driveway this afternoon.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 06:06:02 PM »
your drive way sucks in the snow > my drive way sucks in the snow

I don't envy you one bit.

I have not even started shoveling.  What is the point. With the blowing snow, it is just going to pile back up again.  I will wait until tomorrow.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
ok, this is when living in a condo >*

Somebody else will do it! Unfortunately, that will probably be friday sometime. :(

Anyway - gonna see if i can get out of the garage and go have some yummy soup.  :D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
I ain't goin nowheres.....

just check out AW RM recent post I made....it is flippin dumpin down here in Parker

http://forums.audiworld.com/rockymtn/msgs/80689.phtml

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »
HAHAHA! Well that didn't work out. I was walking - or rather plunging - through the snow between here and the garage thinking, this may be beyond my clearance. At the garage there was a 2.5' drift - and fresh snow about 1' deep on the drive behind it.

So yeah, I think I'm in for a while. :(

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »
same here, the side of the garage, the access door, has over 3 feet piled on it.  I opened it to let the dog out, and she just looked at me.

so we went to the back sliding door through the kitchen.  She took off like a bat out of hell.  Totally barking, jumping, diving, getting lost in the drifts, bounding, rolling, and laughing.....she ran non stop for almost 30 minutes just now....now she is asleep on the floor again, in a nice, warm, little puppy ball :)

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 07:07:53 PM »
I set up a weather observation post in my hot tub.  Cranked up some music and poured a beverage.  It was man against nature in it's rawest form.  I'm back inside now for some pasta and a DVD.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 07:13:30 PM »
well, when there is a pho emergency and you can't get out of the house, the only option is to create some concoction to take its place with what you have!

:D

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »
Charles...that looks yummy.  You should open up a pho-internet cafe :lol:

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 07:36:45 PM »
I could send soup to people over the tubes!  :lol:

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 07:41:37 PM »
and dress up like the soup-nazi...."no soup for you.....ONE YEAR!!!!"

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »
Enjoy the snow....
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 08:19:09 PM »
I took about 45 minutes and cleared away the 8' of the driveway closest to the house but since the entire drive is 175' long I think I am going to be staying home for a while. I'll give clearing it another shot after the wind dies down.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
I just tried to clear some of the 5 foot drift away from the garage door, got most of it, and tried to clear a path in the drive so Betsy could make it home....I then tried to drive my car back and forth, in and out of the garage to pack what was left down....well, I'm an idiot.  I got stuck 3 feet from the garage.  So I kept trying, and no matter what I did, kept going down the drive until I was part of the way in the road....DAMN.  So, I shoveled a path to get across the street to park on the side walk and leave it.  I got there, the snow was deaper than the doors, so that is where it is gonna sit for quite some time....

you can see where I opened my door.  I am not in a drift right there, the snow is flat in the street...and it is about 2 foot deep straight across the entire roadway and my front yard, the drifts are even higher.

Betsy works for Parks here in Parker, they are sending their entire crew home.  The plows are getting stuck...and when I mean plow, I mean the big dump trucks with a butt load of sand.  Her truck got stuck 3 times.  She is on the way home with some of her crew....they are staying here tonight.  Thank goodness we just went grocery shopping.

anyway, stay in, drink something, eat a bunch of food, take a warm bath...and plant yourself in front of the fireplace.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 09:18:50 PM »
you do have a really steep driveway.  I could see that being really difficult to get into.  

It is good of you and Betsy to put up her co-workers for the evening.