Author Topic: Snow Slipage - Damage!  (Read 2011 times)

spencerjw

• Stock
    • http://diesel.textamerica.com
Snow Slipage - Damage!
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »
Ok, It's been forever and a year since I've participated much on these forums, sorry. :(

But, I need some help.

Last night I was driving home from the RTD PnR and I narrowly escaped an accident that happened right in front of me.  While missing the accident, I did happen to hit the curb with my front driver side wheel.  While I don't see anything broken underneath the car I know something is obviously wrong.

My front tire is shoved backwards (towards the driver door) about 2 inches.  Rubs hard when I turn sharp and the alignment is pretty jacked up.  I jacked the car up last night to try to see what was wrong and the only thing that stood out was that there's a "brace" (not good with some of these technical terms) that looks to sit behind the Control Arm (I think).  It looks like a brace that basically keeps the wheel assembly in the right position, but other than that it looks like it serves little function.

I looked at everything I could see under there and it looks as though the wheel assembly in these news cars is pretty flexible and the main rigid part in there is this brace.  It's a light copper color on my car.

I looked around but couldn't find a diagram online, I wanted to be able to tell you all exactly what it was that I thought was bent.

To make a short story long....

I need to obviously get this fixed ASAP but especially after Christmas, funds are at an all-time low right now.  I'd like to find this part online or in a salvage year if I could and maybe find someone that would know how to fix it.  The alignment I know I'll have to go in to get fixed, but I can live without that for a few weeks if I had to...I can't live without my car for a few weeks though.

Thanks for listening/reading,

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions or comments or even offers of assistance, it'd all be greatly appreciated!

Spencer
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Snow Slipage - Damage!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »
Sounds like a tie rod?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
Control arm I suppose.  You should have it looked at, the subframe might also be damaged.  Those parts are not too expensive, but labor might be more than the parts.  If it's under $1000 you can often make an isurance claim that does not affect your rates, you might call your agent and see.

Sorry to hear about the incident.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:16:03 PM »
I would guess Control Arm as well, though it would certainly be possible to bend the Tie Rod too. I had something similar happen to me a few years ago.

I would be hesitant to drive it much in this condition. I don't remember exactly what the B5 hub assbly looks like, but I know I was very close to tearing my outter CV boot with similar damage.

If you've got access to the tools it's more than likely do-able at home. I don't think you're going to find B5 parts at wrecker though. Not to mention you'd be out in a yard in a foot or two of snow pulling parts from the bottom of a car. Online is probably your best bet.

Perhaps give Randy @ Autobahn a call and see if he can get the car up on the lift and really get a look at what's bent. He can also get very good prices on parts.

I wouldn't skip the alignment though after you've sorted it out. It's just going to end up costing you a pair of tyres from the uneven wear. $40 is way cheaper than a new tyre or two.

Best of luck!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »
My guess:

Both lower control arms, Tie-Rod End, Sway Bar, Sway bar link, Wheel hub, Wheel Bearing, and maybe the upright.

I know my list is long and looks bad, but that is usually how it goes with impacts that lead to wheel being that far back into the door.  My car has the same issue right now from my rock impact a couple weeks ago.

I would be happy to take a look at the car.  Give me a call at the shop after Tuesday the 2nd, and we can schedule a time.  I would also not drive the car, if at all possible.  More dammage will be done, especially to the hub, bearing and upright, if you do drive it.

Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »
Ok, I got an estimate from a local shop today (thanks for the offer Randy, had to stay local though).  Parts and labor they said $1542 which included:
    *Wheel
    *Full Wheel Alignment
    *Hub
    *Bearing Assembly
    *Steering Knuckle
    *Lower Control Arm

The mechanic is a friend of a friend and trusted so I know he's not trying get just get money out of me.  He also said that at the absolute bare minimum I need the Lower Control Arm to make it drivable.  At this point there's no way I can even think of affording the full work to be done, much less my insurance deductible which would save me $542.

So my question is this, anyone know where I could get a good deal on a Lower Control Arm?  I checked eBay, but they're either for 2003-older or for the rear end.

The only one that I found that would fit my car was selling for almost $100, that just doesn't seem right to me...
eBay - Lower Control Arm
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »
Which side do you need?  I have a set of passenger lower control arms here I will make you a deal on.

LMK - Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

spencerjw

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 11:41:17 PM »
I need the driver side, just lower.
pencer