Author Topic: Kick panel removal?  (Read 1371 times)

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Kick panel removal?
« on: December 31, 2003, 09:54:25 PM »
I've been putting it off for way too long, and I need to conceal the wiring from the stock head unit to the trunk for my amp and box. I just kind of laid them next to the seat along the doors to the trunk, let's face it it looks like crap. I'm trying to get off of my lazy butt and fix it, but I can't figure out how to remove the kick plates so that I can hide the wiring. I've tried a couple of times but keep getting freaked out about breaking something. Any help would be appreciated.
Look officer, I really do own it......

shummer

• Modded
Kick panel removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 07:51:25 AM »
Driver side or passenger side? I suppose it doesn't matter. I had to take the driver side out when I ran the rear fog wire from the euroswitch to the trunk.

The kick panels are plastic and have metal clips that are triangular shaped - picture a Christmas tree and its base. The base of the tree slides into notches on the kick panel while the pointy part of the tree goes into rectangular shaped holes in the sheet metal. All you have to do is pull up slowly, smoothly, and forcefully. What breaks is the plastic notches that hold the metal clips. When you pull up - sometimes the clip will come out nicely, sometimes the clip will slide out of the notch and remain in the sheet metal hole, and sometimes the notch will break and the clip will remain in the sheet metal hole. If you can feel/see where the metal clip is, you can concentrate on pulling directly upwards from that and somehow support the plastic notch as best as possible from underneath. The kick panel is one big piece running all the way back and has maybe 4-6 clips.

Sorry no pics. I believe I broke one of the plastic notches out of the kick panel. Metal clip is just sitting in my coin tray. Hope that helps.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Kick panel removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 07:51:25 AM »

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
Kick panel removal?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »
Thanks, it gives me some idea of what I'm doing. I'll just try to be patient and not a p***y about breaking it.
Look officer, I really do own it......

Rian_Colorado

• Stock
Kick panel removal?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 07:33:53 PM »
on either side, you're going to have to remove the kick panel, the side molding panal (floor between the seat and the door) another small piece of a panel that will require you to remove the back seat to get to a screw (this is pretty simple) and also possibly the rear trunk panel. I know it sounds daunting, but it's not that tough and will look MUCH better once done right. The best part of all of it is that if you DO break something, all of those parts are relatively inexpensive. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it done with no problem.

One pointer, the kick panel IS held in by 1 screw, and then the clips Andrew is reffering too. The screw is under a molded piece that you'll have to remove with a screw driver. Once the screw is removed, the panel comes out pretty easy. Hope it goes well!

Rian

lol, just noticed I'm a "newbie" .......he he that's funny.
55 MPH, slow enough to make you THINK you're safe, fast enough to kill you"

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Kick panel removal?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 01:14:38 PM »
Yeah Steve, you should be able to get through that with minor trouble if any.  

Rian, you slacker, you just have to post more.  That's funny considering you are one of the original CO Passat folk.  How's the S4?  More importantly, how is the family?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.