Author Topic: Did she get robbed at Discount Tire or not?  (Read 1677 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
Did she get robbed at Discount Tire or not?
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:50:50 PM »
Last Thursday I went to Discount tire on Wadsworth/I-70 and had them mount a tire I had on the 18" RS4 wheel Ted loaned me. Total cost for mount and balance was $10.

Today, one week later. Jeska went to the Discount tire on East Hampton to get a replacement 18" tire mounted on her A6. Cost her $25.

They told her she "needed" to put a new valve stem on the wheel. The wheel is only 3 months old. We were just replacing the tire because I hit someones tire chain on the highway.

They also tried to sell her 3 new tires. Tried to convince here she should not replace just one. Again, the wheels and tires are only 3 months old. (and she only drives 7-14 miles a day).

Just on initial impression I feel like she got taken for a ride being a girl. Does this really still happen.

Obviously not a huge amount of money but sure makes me wonder.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Did she get robbed at Discount Tire or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
I believe it does.  Betsy took her Tacoma in for a service at the dealership, they told her there was a bunch of stuff it needed.  They did not know she was married.  She said she wanted to talk to me first...I called the service writer before anything was done, and they tacked on a bunch of needless crap...for a truck that only had 20K miles on it....they wanted to flush the trans, radiator, change the plugs, all filters, differential services and the brakes.....mind you the rears are drums, so we all know they last a LONG time.  They wanted nearly $900 for the service...and all we wanted was an oil change.  When I called him, I had the service schedule in hand and asked why he tacked on stuff that was not due until 60K miles, or 30K miles for others.  He got real quiet, then asked that I give him a good rating on his survey that we get in the mail.  I flunked him for extorsion.  Toyota sent us certificates finally for about $400 in service....bummer this was after I took the Taco to an Indy for the 30K service where they did the diffs and trans flush.

Bummer that Jeska had to experience that, I would contact Discount Management and let them know...don't you know someone in management?  Make them apologize!!!!!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:47 PM »
yep, it still happens. It happened to my wife not too long ago.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:04:05 AM »
...still happens :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
$10 sounds right for just mounting a loose tire on a loose wheel, $25 sounds right for mounting, balancing, stem, swapping the wheels on/off and tire disposal.  Pretty much everyone with AWD gets the 'replace them all' story too, and you can bet they sell those good used tires that they take off.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:10:47 AM »
I think $25 is the standard price for getting rid of a tire and mounting and balancing... I think you got a good deal by getting $10 a wheel.

I've had a lot of issues with that Discount Tire and no longer go there.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »
yeah, discounts standard price for mount and balance seems to be 25. every time I go in there I have to negotiate with them to get them to do it for 10.  they always do but it is a hastle to have to talk them into it every time.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 06:32:12 PM »
I usually just take the drive and go to Tire Source.  Pete charges $12 to mount and balance I think.

There's a Peerless in town that's good too, when I don't wanna drive 45 minutes to Pete...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Quote from: "Docwyte";p="54248"
I usually just take the drive and go to Tire Source.  Pete charges $12 to mount and balance I think.

There's a Peerless in town that's good too, when I don't wanna drive 45 minutes to Pete...

with my A4 I liked tire source, but with my allroad I have stopped going there since they started feeding me a line of BS about how they will not align an allroad and that it requires alignment at a dealer.  Since both Stans Alignment and Werners have been able to align the car, I don't see how that could be true...
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »
Hmm, that's weird.  Since I don't have an allroad, I haven't had to deal with that.

Just got my tires mounted and balanced at Peerless for $12.50 each.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!