Author Topic: Timing belt GTG  (Read 44469 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Timing belt GTG
« on: January 06, 2004, 09:41:16 PM »
Dub and I have been talking about replacing our timing belts soon.  He mentioned there are a few others out there that are coming up on 60K miles, too.  Who would be up for a group timing belt change?

I'm going to change my transmision fluid soon, too.  It requires a special tool, so if anyone else wants to do this they can use my tool also.

I'll probably do an EFK at the same time as the timing belt.
Oh yeah, short shifter (V & S) is getting here in about a month too.   :)

So who's in for the timing belt?
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:10 PM »
I would love to help, but since this will happen on a weekend, i won't be able to make it.  Let me know if you all need any tools from my neck of the woods, i would be happy to loan them out to you all.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:10 PM »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 12:11:24 PM »
Though I am only at 42,500mi., I would like to attend for the knowledge aspect.  I will help any way I can.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

shummer

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 02:08:31 PM »
Might have to make this TB change an annual thing. I'm at 48k. Any other belts or things attached to the belt(s) that need or should be changed?

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 02:58:45 PM »
I would definately be down for this but I have yet to buy a TB kit or EFK. When is anyone looking to do this? Do you think we could push it back a few months and wait for warmer weather or is this something that has to be done soon? Either way, I'll get the parts if you guys are going to do it sooner than later. Pat what EFK were you telling me about a few months ago? I was on the ECS site and couldn't figure it out...
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
I think we're considering doing this sometime in the last half of February, but that's not firm.  I haven't looked at the parts yet, but I know they sell kits with everything you need.  I've heard the water pump should be replaced while you're in there, but don't really know if that's always the case or not.  Not sure what EFK I'll be getting, but I'm guessing it'll be whatever the company sells that we get the TB kits from.  Parts for VWs might be a good candidate for all of this stuff, as they're our sponsor.  ECS might be a good candidate, too.  I'm going to have to do a little bit of research when it comes time to order parts to figure out what I exactly need.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 05:21:06 PM »
Sounds good to me. Though, it might be a bit hectic for me during the last half of February. I will be moving into my new place then...but we'll see. Did you see the TB kits ECS sells? They include the waterpump and popular replacement parts. It seems reasonably priced but it would be nice to get some sort of discount...
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 06:43:50 PM »
No, I haven't looked at parts yet.  Probably do that this weekend.  I'm not too surprised the water pump comes in the kit.
-Chuck Patterson

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 03:04:35 AM »
ILL HOST IT AT MY HOUSE!!!!!!

my car is dead with a broken t-belt and i only have one hand so i cant do it....i have a two car garage, with a 250,000btu heater, so we wont freeze our arses off!

if anyone would like to come down and do the primary work and ill play go'fer (i.e. gofer beer, gofer a tool etc etc.)... i would be willing to hand out some cash, beer and food for the work!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 03:08:39 AM »
from vw/audi the kit for 96-99.5 b5 1.8t is 320.00, water pump can be found for 25 at autozone,

its also a good time to replace your other belts too and fresh coolant too!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »
Mike, the only reason I would hesitate to do this at your place would be if one of us had to leave our car at your place for some unforseen issues.  I would be up for coming down and helping you get this fixed up with you though.  I would want to know what I doing first of course, so it might be after the main TB GTG.

Pat and I were talking about getting a GB going for these from ECS, since they have such great kits.  Pat is going to contact Tom there and see what we can get going, so stay tuned for an update on this soon.

Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 04:37:04 PM »
yeah that make perfect sense..

i already have all the parts i need except for coolant and the accessory belts, which i will get 2morrow! wish i would have seen that earlier, but its only money i will make more!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 06:56:08 PM »
Keep in mind that replacing the timing belt will basically be an all day operation.  Therefore, it might be difficult to do more than perhaps two at a time (assuming a two car garage).

ECS has a basic kit with just the belt and tensioners and an expanded kit which also includes a water pump, thermostat and accessory belts.  It's worth the extra $100 to get the full kit.

I'd be happy to help with this since I've done my own timing belt already.  Let me know what day ya'll decide on and I'll try to keep it free.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 09:01:10 PM »
Quote from: "velo"
ECS has a basic kit with just the belt and tensioners and an expanded kit which also includes a water pump, thermostat and accessory belts.  It's worth the extra $100 to get the full kit.

I agree...I want to do as much as I can while I have the front end apart. I also planning on going with a lightweight underdrive pulley kit. Alan, did you notice a big difference when you upgraded yours? Are there any drawbacks with the lightweight pullies? Thanks.
mad wagon

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 09:10:46 PM »
The underdrive pulley doesn't make a huge difference, not nearly as noticable as a chip, but it does help with the turbo lag.  You can test drive my car if you want to see how it feels (I might have some free time this Sunday).

The main drawback of the underdrive pulley is that the alternator and A/C compressor will be underdriven, so you don't want to run a huge sound system and your A/C might take a little longer to chill down completely in hot weather.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 05:10:46 PM »
I'm coming up on the 60k real soon, but we could be closing on a house at the end of Feb. So I'll have to see about the finances...eh
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »
I would love to be able to do this now, but at the current mileage, I still have 15,000 or so miles before I reach 60k.  That is another years worth of driving.  I would like to observe though, I the proccess very interesting.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

Hans

• n00balicious
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 12:46:22 AM »
Hey this sound great!  I have the 60K and Timing belt that needs done.  This sounds much better then the $1400 the dealer wants.  Keep me in the loop.  I'd be happy to pitch in anyway I can.
ans
A41.8TQMS

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2004, 10:54:48 PM »
Hey Hans, Denver Pat will be doing this on his A4 as well, so we'll be able to do both Passats and A4s, without any trouble, since they are so similar in the 1.8t department...

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2004, 02:45:35 PM »
:cool:  :P  :-P

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2004, 11:59:34 PM »
Hey Lance, thanks for the info.  How are you liking the W8?

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2004, 04:59:15 PM »
hard not to like it, but the speeding ticket in my first 100 miles of drive time however..& I only get to drive it a few times a month.

great car, quite and fast.  I 'm too bizzy workin on my other stuff to mod it at all yet..Beth likes it, still wish it was a wagon sometimes.

Cool Idea for  a GTG btw, did all my friends 16v's back in the day :P

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2004, 08:30:23 PM »
I'd probably like to attend for the learning aspect, though approaching 40K miles I don't think I'll be doing it until next year probably. There's no way in hell I'd go down to Fountain for a garage day though.. sorry Mike. Just doesn't make sense when all of us live in the metro area. :P
MWJD?

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2004, 08:47:40 PM »
So what's the word...2Pat, any luck with a GB for a TB kit from ECS, yo.
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2004, 09:11:52 PM »
I called Tom a week ago, left a message and haven't heard back.  I even called him and ordered a new diverter valve a couple days ago, mentioned it to him then to remind him, and still haven't hear anything.  I guess I'll have to give him another call.
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 12:26:38 AM »
I sent Tom an email as well and am waiting to hear from him.  Kits are either in the "Basic" or "Ultimate" category and divided into the different engine codes they will work for:

Timing Belt Kit for longitudinal 1.8T - AEB & ATW Engine Codes Only
Includes Dayco timing belt, upgraded/updated OEM tensioners & OEM tensioner roller.  learn more $179.95  

ECS Ulitmate Timing Belt Kit - AEB & ATW Engine Codes Only
Everything you need for a complete timing belt job, buy it all together & save.  learn more $289.95  

Timing Belt Kit for longitudinal 1.8T - AUG Engine Code
Fits AUG Engine Code Only  learn more $199.95  

ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit - AUG Engine Code Only
Everything you need for a complete timing belt job, buy all together & save --  learn more $284.95  

Timing Belt Kit for longitudinal 1.8T - All AWM engine codes
AWM engine codes only  learn more $199.95  

ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit - AWM Engine Code Only
Everything you need for a complete timing belt job, buy all together & save --  learn more $284.95

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
I'm definitely in for the Ultimate TB Kit for an AEB engine.
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2004, 11:24:53 PM »
Reply from Brian at ECS Tuning:

Hello Winston

Currently I am not interested on running a GB on the timing belt kits. I set the prices on these kits extremely competitive so there is not much room to move on the prices.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us again.
Brian
www.ecstuning.com
800/924-5172

So, it looks like just under $300 is where we are at.  Not too bad, but still a chunk of dough!

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:50 AM »
So much for a GB then....oh well, it's not too expensive. I think I'll order mine towards the end of the month along with a few other things, to save on shipping costs. When do we think we'll have a TB garage day - towards the end of February?
mad wagon

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2004, 02:36:55 AM »
ok aftrer the last 2 days i have become a timing belt replacement god...er ok but not a god, but i can take the front end off in 45 min (after the bumper is off), so when is this?

WARNING DO NOT LET YOUR TIMING BELT BREAK
youll get a CEL very similar to this one....
011900- primary tiptronic tranny failure/ your warranty is void  :-) and you are farked! please consult your nearest VW dealer to sign over your soul!
p 0370-90-00--
OT DISH?-----> nope!