Author Topic: Timing belt GTG  (Read 44699 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2004, 02:55:20 AM »
Haha!  That's funny.  True, sadly, but funny.  

Well, Timing Belt God, meet the Bathroom Tile God.  I will lay my soldiers down on the field with trowel against your soldiers with socket sets any time, bwaahaaha!

Thunder strikes in the background

Sorry, got a little carried away there.  Reading a book about Greek gods.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 03:12:27 AM »
[yoda voice]ah my young padawan learner how soon forget do you....
 i am also the god of wall pianting
and
 wood floor laying mmmm,yes watchout for splinters they burn when you pee

so ill hit you left flank with the gluegun cavalry as we brush the fieds with crimson (and a little bit of clover) and "roller" all over your trowel-armed infantrymen i will,mmmmm yes [end yoda]

checking forums, reading about civil war, listening to oldies, as jen watches episode 2 in the next room....

BOT-------
ok that kit fro ECS is very, and i mean VERY good price!

here is my list/cost
timing belt ki( TB, tensioner pulley and tensioner)/320.17
2 gals G-12, AC, alt and serpintine belts/ 78.00,
H2o  pump and gasket/ $22.95
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 03:12:27 AM »

mike618

• Stock
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 03:45:58 AM »
I am currently teaching "hero with a 1000 faces" by joseph campbell, we are doing greek gods to star wars all in one class.
998 1.8t b5
1989 cabrio...going to be a turbo sleeper
2002 cobalt blue azonic evolution (mtn cross bike)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 03:49:51 AM »
Mike, I've heard of that book.  It's about the idea that all myths are based on the same basic principles, right?

The book I am reading is Illium, by Dan Simmons, who lives somewhere in the front range.  He also wrote the Hyperion series, which is the Lord of the Rings of Science Fiction.

mike618

• Stock
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2004, 03:59:42 AM »
Yep...you are right he is the man when it comes to all of that mythic stuff...
I know dan simmons, he is a great author...I have the hyperion series and i used to have summer of night but that got lost along the way.
m
998 1.8t b5

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 11:56:12 AM »
you guys really think ecs is the best deal?

I just looked up my costs and umm....there making money for sure!

shummer

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 02:07:22 PM »
I think we all undertand businesses need to make a profit, but we just want a fair price. It seems ECS offers a fair price. If you can beat their prices and make a profit, then it's a WIN-WIN situation for all of us.

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
:cool:  :P  :-P

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 04:39:47 AM »
:cool: :P  :-P

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 04:49:21 AM »
Lance, I don't know how many we are going to end up with but it looks like they are as low as they are willing to sell them for.

Thanks though.

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004, 01:30:51 PM »
shakes head....

you think so?  hmmm.  one word. Wholesale

I give up.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2004, 01:46:22 PM »
Me too.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2004, 01:59:16 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Me too.

Yeah Pat....we all know you give it up :P .  BTW...K can't wait to see you again...all the girls thought you were "fun to look at"  hehehe

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2004, 02:16:31 PM »
No I think they meant he was funny lookin'. :)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2004, 12:36:44 AM »
He must not have told them about he can mod the headliners in their cars.  They they just look funny at him.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2004, 12:01:06 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
He must not have told them about he can mod the headliners in their cars.  

Actually, they know about that...and our newest favorite mod...the CRM.  Now that is a mod I am waiting for. :onfire:

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2004, 02:27:43 PM »
if lance can cget the parts wholesale, and then sell them to you with a lower markup then that would be goot, if he can piece the entire kit together for cheaper and still make a buck or two for him then WE should go thru him.
so far my total bill is $435... plus i need a new head.
OT DISH?-----> nope!

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »
smells like chicken Wings MMmmmmmmmm
 :cool:

grocerygetter

• n00balicious
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2004, 06:09:41 PM »
Do later 1.8's have shorter timing belt change intervals? My wife's 99 wagon says the timing belt interval is 105k. We're under an extended warranty until 100k so I'm not concerned, just wondering. Also, I am planning on chipping her car next month. I have a Wett in my TDI, but their chip is $100 more than Neuspeed, which is hard to believe. My question is this, should I get the .8 bar or the 1 bar Neuspeed chip. Also, how does our lower octane gas affect the performance of the chips? Sorry if my questions have been covered before, but I am a TDI guy, so performance mods to my wife's gas burner are a new challenge. Also, do I need to change her diverter valve to an aftermarket one if I am chipping it? Are the stock 1.8t exhausts sufficient for the chip, or should I upgrade to a 2.5 exhaust? Thanks for any help.

grocerygetter

• n00balicious
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »
As far a prices go, 1stvwparts.com is Auburn VW in Washington, and they sell all of their parts at 10% over cost. Their parts are genuine VW, and are usually cheaper than anyone else.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2004, 06:39:03 PM »
First off welcome to the club greocerygetter.

On the timing belt, we all know what VW recommends, but there are far too many cases of timing belt failures prior to 100K.  We've seen a number of cases where they fail around 60K.  So being proactive and doing the timing belt around 60K may save a lot of headaches.

Of course to each their own, it is really up to each owner if they want to invest the time and money in doing it early.  The negative result being a failure and a loss of the engine whether it's covered or not.

On the chip front most chips on average will give about a 40+ HP gain and a bunch of added torque.  There are a few different manufacturers.  We have discussed this a little bit here on this site so if you look under the discussion forum and maybe do a search more will turn up.  It is a little off topic for this thread.

mike618

• Stock
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2004, 09:31:51 PM »
Timing belt, get it done, mine went at 90,000 and the service manual said 105,000.  If you are not the original owner on the car, then you are screwed.  I would have had to shell out $3000 to get mine fixed after it went.  You will lose compression and mash open the valves.  It is nasty business.  The newer 1.8 ts have a better tensioner pulley on the timing belt. welcome to the club,,
998 1.8t b5

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2004, 12:02:14 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"
First off welcome to the club greocerygetter.

On the timing belt, we all know what VW recommends, but there are far too many cases of timing belt failures prior to 100K.  We've seen a number of cases where they fail around 60K.  So being proactive and doing the timing belt around 60K may save a lot of headaches.

point and case my 98 a4 90,528 miles timing belt broke, now i need a whole new head (1500 rebuilt from vw/audi with a 500 core charge)

change your belt early!!!

oh and welcome grocerygetter
OT DISH?-----> nope!

grocerygetter

• n00balicious
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2004, 05:04:03 PM »
We paid for an extended warranty that expires at 100k, so assuming my belt makes it that far, we will change it at 99,999k miles. Any failure prior to 100k will be completely covered under warranty.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2004, 05:39:22 PM »
Quote from: "grocerygetter"
We paid for an extended warranty that expires at 100k, so assuming my belt makes it that far, we will change it at 99,999k miles. Any failure prior to 100k will be completely covered under warranty.

If it is a rock solid warranty you should be fine, just don't be doing 85 if/when it breaks ;) Just be sure EVERYTHING is covered in the warranty and just keep checking the tentioner and the belt once you get around 60K and so on and look for wear and listen for noise.  When the tensioner is going it has been described as a whistling or high pitched noise when cold similar to the noise a diesel Mack (semi) truck turbo makes.  Very different from our 1.8T turbo sound.

Not only has there been issues with these failing prematurely, but there is a positive correlation with dealers not noticing that they are wearing out.  Probably because they only check them evey 40K.

There are less cases of them failing than there are of those that do fail, but it is just an ugly mess if and when they fail.

bedhes

• n00balicious
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2004, 09:34:17 PM »
hi all
i'm very interested in the timmingbelt gtg since i'm runing 78000 and want to take precautions but rather not go to dealer
so count me in!
;-)
001 6speed laser avant

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2004, 10:03:23 PM »
So what's the status on this garage day?  Do we have a day picked out?  Everyone got their parts?  Who's gonna be first to get this done?
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2004, 01:45:24 AM »
Quote from: "gietl"

... just don't be doing 85 if/when it breaks ;) .

sorry to say but the 1.8t is a SEVERE interferance head and if your engine is running above idle when the tensioner and/or T-belt fail you will have valve damage.

even at idle you are at risk... i was pulling into the Mcd's drivethru at 5mph way>2000rpm and my valves are farked! samething happened to Mike618 at low driving and engine speeds and he needed a new head also.

change it early!!! just my avid advice, i would hate to see my luck happen top anyone else!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2004, 04:52:45 AM »
Quote from: "velo"
So what's the status on this garage day?  Do we have a day picked out?  Everyone got their parts?  Who's gonna be first to get this done?

I'll have my parts next week. I've got a TB, DV, and UDP kit on the way. Just have to get my ECU GIACtified then I'm good to go. If we wait long enough we could have a garage day at my new garage!
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2004, 12:18:42 PM »
Hey Alan, I'm just about ready to order my parts.  I think we are pushing for later in February for this GTG, but with all of the parts it takes, we wanted to get started early.

bedhes, welcome to the club!  I'm not sure what is involved with a TB change on the 2.7tt, so maybe Rian will chime in here to give us the scoop!