Author Topic: Timing belt GTG  (Read 44990 times)

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2004, 05:41:56 PM »
Just got back from the honeymoon and noticed this post. Sounds great! I will be there. I don't know if I can afford it right now but I know I need to do it eventually so I might just be there to learn. Right now I guess I need to do the 60,000 mile tuneup. Does anyone know what all is done? Can I do it or is it better to have a shop do it? If shop is the answer any recomindations?

for the TB GTG how many are for sure? Since it takes a day to do 1 (or two assuming a 2 car garage) We should make it a 2 day or 2 weekend deal. Let me know the day once it is decided.

As always thank you for the input and I look forward to seeing everyone again :D
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2004, 07:14:48 PM »
Hey Hawk, I hope you guys had a fun honeymoon!

As for the TB, we don't have a hard count on the number of folks attending.  I know Chas, Boris, Pat, Mark and I for sure and I think several others are planing on it too.  

If we do it at my place (forcing me to clean the garage), then we can do at least 4 at a time, since I have some fairly flat driveway space.  Since there will be several of us working on this, we can have the experienced TB people (read: Alan Robertson) go around providing expertise as needed.  We should be able to get a lot of them done in just one day.

We can do it wherever works best though.

Pat, since you started the thread, we don't we list the confirmed TB install people and get a hard date, say Feb 21st?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Timing belt GTG
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2004, 07:14:48 PM »

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2004, 07:24:48 PM »
Put me on the "confirmed TB install" list and lets go for the 21st. I can't guarantee I will make it on the 21st because I'm still not sure when I'll be closing on my house, but I'll sure try. Most likely I be there. :)
mad wagon

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2004, 07:39:55 PM »
I also have that 10x10 canopy that can be used.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2004, 11:32:22 PM »
the t-belt is really straight forward and pretty easy to do esspecially if you have all the tools....

im sure we all coulds knock out 4-6 of these in one day...
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2004, 12:20:36 AM »
Quote from: "madigan"
Put me on the "confirmed TB install" list and lets go for the 21st. I can't guarantee I will make it on the 21st because I'm still not sure when I'll be closing on my house, but I'll sure try. Most likely I be there. :)

Sign me up for that.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2004, 04:16:21 AM »
Quote from: "HawkmanA4"
Just got back from the honeymoon

Hawk, good to see you back in town.  As for the 60K service, I think they just do oil, brake fluid, and maybe change plugs.  Not sure if they recommend flushing the radiator or not...but maybe we can check with a dealer or ASW in Broomfield to see what they recommend.  If there is anything I can do to help, you all know I am there...except that I can't be there for the TB change due to the weekend thing..

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2004, 05:57:42 PM »
I'd like to show, I'll have to see what's going down with the house...we're looking at moving out by 2nd Creek... :shocked:
hehehe....I need to change that TB though. I DEFINATELY don't have the $$ to pay for it if it goes
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

RobD

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2004, 06:38:04 PM »
I'll try and show to lend a hand and drink a brew or two.  If I have not done it by then I would like to try to change the DV.  

Off topic a bit - What size clamps do i need to change the DV?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2004, 02:46:55 AM »
Hey Rob, forget the clamps.  Zip ties are the way to go.  Very common substitute and I've never heard of any problems with them.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2004, 03:31:45 AM »
I would get clamps for the big hoses, they are cheap and more secure.  I do recommend a zip tie for the little hose.  That area is under pretty good pressure, I had not seated a clamp right and one of the fat hoses popped off while I was turboing onto 6th.

RobD

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2004, 11:40:03 AM »
Jay any idea of what size clamps for the larger hoses?  I really don't want to have to pull the pan untill I do this.  I did notice on HermanH's write up that he used clamps on th large tube as well.  I'll probably just take the DV to the hardware/autoparts store a get a few close to what looks like it will fit ove the larger hole with a tube over it.

Back on topic - When is this thing supposed to happen?Feb 22?

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2004, 03:08:12 PM »
Yo yo! I'm gonna be at the TBGTG. However, I kinda need to know how to find my engine code so I know what kit to get. Please? From previous posts I assume that ECS is the way to go?
I was also thinking about changing out a couple other things but not sure at this point. (DV, N75...or something, maybe, I don't know. I still haven't installed the fogs. This could be a good time since I've got the front end off) :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2004, 03:11:15 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I would get clamps for the big hoses, they are cheap and more secure.  I do recommend a zip tie for the little hose.  That area is under pretty good pressure, I had not seated a clamp right and one of the fat hoses popped off while I was turboing onto 6th.

Jay, I didn't know you had a 6-speed... :P  :lol:
mad wagon

HawkmanA4

• Stock
    • http://vanekh.oasiswellness.com/
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2004, 04:15:48 PM »
Anyone know the statis on the group buy? Is there any or are we just on our own?
00 A4 1.8TQMS- FOR SALE
'04 A4 Avant 1.8TQM Ultra Sprot
Hawk Vanek
HawkInvestmentRealty@comcast.net
www.SoarWithHawk.com

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2004, 04:43:21 PM »
From page one, Hawk. It's a no go.

Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Reply from Brian at ECS Tuning:

Hello Winston

Currently I am not interested on running a GB on the timing belt kits. I set the prices on these kits extremely competitive so there is not much room to move on the prices.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us again.
Brian
www.ecstuning.com
800/924-5172

So, it looks like just under $300 is where we are at.  Not too bad, but still a chunk of dough!
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2004, 05:30:19 PM »
:( I feel ignored. Does anybody care about me?
How do I find my engine code?
Thanks...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2004, 08:06:45 PM »
its atamped on your head on the top intake manifold side!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

madigan

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2004, 08:09:59 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
:( I feel ignored. Does anybody care about me?
How do I find my engine code?
Thanks...

Maybe if you hung out more often...j/k. Actually your engine code is stamped right on the manifold, but to save you some time... you have an AEB engine, drive-by-cable. There you go! Are you replaceing your TB?

Werd
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2004, 09:13:47 PM »
I was just out fixing my door and popped of the cover thinking it had to be on the engine somewhere. I found it. Thanks guys. I'm really not an idiot.

Yeah Mad, I am planning on replacing it. I just checked my other belts and one's good, but the other's got some fray. So I'll probably get the ultimate kit....eh. That's alot of money. Oh well.

I skipped the 40k check up so I'll probably put in some new plugs as well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Chas

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2004, 09:31:33 PM »
Well count me in on this one. I'll need to get the parts but that's no problem. I think that I'll go with the ECS kit.  Compaired to the dealers prices their's is a steal!!!

So count me in on the 21st or 22nd. This one has already been OK'd by my wife! :) I say Winston's house would work out well. Two cars in the garage, noses out and two cars in the driveway, noses in. Is there room on the front lawn for a 5th Winston? With Alan bouncing between all the cars! Now that is a picture I want taken!!! Maybe from Winston's roof over the garage...
No one at CB5 has ever done what we are planning to do and this would really say something about our group out here!!!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2004, 06:39:16 AM »
ok give me a def date... and i will try to get off work to come help!
OT DISH?-----> nope!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2004, 03:50:41 PM »
I'm sure glad Alan's gonna be there...this could get hairy quick for me...hehehe
...what's that screw for?
...I don't need this wire...
...belt? I was supposed to have a belt?
...oooohhh, that's what a bumper is...
 :lol:  8O  :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

RobD

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2004, 05:29:23 PM »
Any one heard from Brad from Osborn?  This would be a good one for him to attend so he can meet more of the group as well as lend his techinical expertise.

I'll try calling him in the next few days to see what's up.

kt037

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2004, 08:49:37 PM »
-friendly advise everyone prolly already knows-

bring 10-15 large ziplock bags, and a medium sized box to keep their parts sepperated and orderly.

it also help when putting it back together, (ok put the viscous-clutch assembly back on...grab the Visc.-clu baggy!)
OT DISH?-----> nope!

FastLane

• Stock
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2004, 12:18:33 AM »
I'm in. Someone get a plan together, and I'll go. Not needing to do the belt, but I'd like to see the process, as well as the Chasbar and Tip fluid changes, should either of those take place.

Mark
000 A6-Stock (For Sale). 2000 A4-1.8T, Tip, APR, RS4 Rims.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2004, 02:19:06 AM »
Mark, I'm planning on the Chasbar mod that day
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2004, 08:07:54 PM »
Okay, I am creating a Calendar Event for the 21st and I'll have it carry over to the 22nd in case there is  a decision to do this 2 days or to move it to one or the other.  This way people can start planning.

I guess I can't really tell, but where do we want to do it and what tools/parts list should we layout so everyone that want's to be involved or get the know how knows...or something like that.

Chas

• Modded
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2004, 09:10:53 PM »
Well, I think Winston offered up his house as a possible place. I can ask and see if the wifey would let me host it if you all wanted to come over here. Of course if I host it it'll snow and be -40 degrees out. If Winston does it it'll only be rainy and 38 degrees.  :cool:  :P  8O

I do have a compressor that I could bring over to Winston's house if we needed two compressors. I'm not real sure that an inpact gun will be used much. I do have a inpact ratchet that I like to use. It makes things go quicker for sure.

Anyone else what to offer up?
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Timing belt GTG
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2004, 09:12:58 PM »
As I mentioned before, I have a 10' x 10' canopy (we used it at Jon's for a garage day) that we can use for doing one outside of the garage.  Or doing any other garage day item outside of the garage.

I of course can supply what tools I have (sockets and such).