Author Topic: Turbo question  (Read 1237 times)

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
Turbo question
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:28:22 AM »
alright my question is... since i do not have a turbo timer on my b5 a4 i generally let it idle for 30 secs to a minute and a half depending on how i was driving it before my destination. i have the VDO boost guage and when i turn my car off the needle rises to about 2 in HG.  if i was to turn my car off immediatly after running it hard... would my guage be above in HG and be the psi catagory?... i just dont want oil bubbling up into my turbo and i want to make sure i am waiting long enough before i turn this baby off.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: Turbo question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »
just use common sense.  If you drive it hard, drive it easy for a bit coming to a stop... or let it run for a bit.  It is better to use the "drive slow in the neighborhood" approach to cool your car and keep your neighbors happy.  letting a car idle to cool down isn't as good and just driving nicely and not putting a bit load on the engine before you shut it off.  

Just remember... a candle that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.  You're pushing your engine closer to its threashold of power... drive smart, let it warm up, let it cool down, do the maintainance and expect things to go wrong more often since your car is under a higher level of stress.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
The VDO Vision guages read an inch or two low when the car is off.  Well, at least that's been my experience in Denver with the few Vision guages I've seen.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Quote from: "Spicoli";p="55699"
Just remember... a candle that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.  You're pushing your engine closer to its threashold of power... drive smart, let it warm up, let it cool down, do the maintainance and expect things to go wrong more often since your car is under a higher level of stress.

Best advice you will ever get :thumbup:

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
Yup my VDO Does the same thing when the engine is not running.  I definitely agree with Spicoli, I will drive easy a 2-3 miles from home and then let it sit for about 5-10 seconds just to let the engine quiet down a bit before shutting down.

So far between both the Passat (70,000+ mi.) and the GTI (46,000+ mi.) both turbo’s are going strong.  Both cars are chipped; thought the Passat is running stock at the moment (other reasons).
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:10:57 PM »
appreciate the advice brothers