Author Topic: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo stolen in Denver  (Read 2631 times)

jfrahm

• Modded
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo stolen in Denver
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:04:21 PM »
Hey all,
A local guy had his gold 944 Turbo stolen this week from the underground parking at his work, in downtown Denver.  The security tape shows the car driving out of the garage at 4:15PM last Tuesday.  It is a gold 944 Turbo with gold Fuchs wheels and a brown interior, if you see such a car contact the police.  The security cam did not show the thief.

I'm pretty suprised that a car like that was stolen in daylight on a workday, but I guess it happens.  Granted the car is probably easy to steal, might not have had a factory alarm or anything so the thief could have just forced the locks.  It might have been targeted due to saleable parts or just because it was easy to steal.  At any rate I suggest getting a disabler or hidden kill switch if your car is not so equipped from the factory, especially if you have valuable wheels, stereo, or other obvious mods.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo stolen in Denver
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
That sucks.

Lowjack is also very nice to have.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:07:46 PM »
yeah lojack is nice but at $700 a shot I will just put an immoblizer on the car
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »
Yes, this is a $7-9K car (I suppose) and the owner did not think it was at risk for theft.  LoJack is probably smart if you have $10K in mods or something, but in case your car just happens to be easy to steal and handy to a thief it's a good idea to have a disabler.  Easy enough to wire one up too, especially if your car has a clutch switch or you can easily tap into the loom that goes to the ignition switch.

-Joel.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:41:12 PM »
*Update* the car has been recovered but it's a wreck.  It was only a couple miles from where it was taken in downtown Denver.

Oddly it looks like someone might have wanted to use the car, it had a couple of back window stickers put on it and the side windows tinted, and 1000 more miles on the odo.  However when it was recovered the wheels were gone and the engine was damaged, perhaps by a very clumsy attempt to pull it using a chain around the intake manifold (which broke.)  The shifter cover and steering wheel cover were also removed, as well as some of the obvious VINS.  The owner thought the leather bits might have been taken to remove evidence.

Hard to imagine the car being taken in Denver and driven 1000 miles, ending up a couple of miles from where it was stolen.  Crazy.  Maybe the thief wanted to keep the car but decided it was too risky, or sold it cheap to someone who tried to part it out, or who knows?   Obviously despite being reported stolen and being a pretty unusual car it was not found until it was obviously abandoned and trashed.  Even then it was in impound for six days with the windows and sunroof open.  If they stayed in the area, they might have been driving it for about two weeks for a total of maybe 20-30 hours.  That's like two hours a day.  On a roadtrip it's still 15 hours easily.  Maybe it was sold cheap for cash to someone who did not know it was stolen right away and might have had a forged bill of sale so they felt comfortable driving it.  HArd to say.

So, yeah, get a good alarm/disabler.  Someone might want to drive your car around for a while and then sell off the easy to remove parts.

-Joel.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:47:41 AM »
Wow. That sucks. It's results like that make you wonder if it was better off un-recoverd.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
For the owner, yeah.  Since now he's seen his car trashed and feels like the cops just do not care.  You gotta think that with the stickers on it there are some nice fat fingerprints, but I guess even if you found someone who had the car they could claim they did not steal it but rather bought it from a mysterious stranger.

-Joel.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
Quote from: "jfrahm";p="54909"
For the owner, yeah.  Since now he's seen his car trashed and feels like the cops just do not care.  You gotta think that with the stickers on it there are some nice fat fingerprints, but I guess even if you found someone who had the car they could claim they did not steal it but rather bought it from a mysterious stranger.

-Joel.

Man that stinks.  It's good to at least know what happened to it.  BTW, that's receiving stolen goods...5-10 years.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:13:01 PM »
True, it would be receiving stolen goods, but the Denver City Atty. claims to have bought a laptop in a parking garage:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5299291?source=rss

...so I do not know if that sort of thing gets investigated.

-Joel.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
Update:  Parts missing from the recovered car were found for sale on Denver Craigslist.
The parts were at Denver Performance and 4x4, a few blocks from where the car was stolen.  Police recovered the wheels, winter tires, toolkit, air compressor, and spare tire, all from this shop.  Word is the police have had several hits on stolen stuff for sale at this shop.

Oh, the same person selling those wheels has several mountain bikes for sale:

Mar- 3   Motiv Vortex full suspension mtn bike - $270 (denver) pic <<bicycles

Mar- 3   Giant Yukon Disc mtn. bike - $325 (denver) pic <<bicycles

Mar- 3   DEAN Bam Bam full suspension mtn. bike - $900 (denver) pic <<bicycles

Feb-25   porsche wheels 5 lug 16" x 7" 929 - $800 (denver) pic <<auto parts

Feb-25   SPECIALIZED Hard Rock Comp MTN. BIKE - $300 (DENVER) pic <<bicycles

Know anyone missing a bike?
Amazing.
-Joel.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:20 PM »
How liable is the shop for being in possession?
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
They are liable for possession of stolen goods at the very least.  Since they were stolen from the car itself while it was there, they might put 2 and 2 together.

I had a Cadex stolen in 99 that I never got back.  Does these guys own a white van by chance?  The thieves seen stealing my bike owned one.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »
I edited my last post so it would make more sense.  The stuff was not stolen from the car while it was at the shop.  The whole car was stolen from a nearby parking garage, then the chassis was recovered a few weeks later abandoned.  The fact that such an odd collection of the items taken from the car is... interesting.  I guess they could claim that someone offered to sell them the wheels and all the easily removed  items from a car and they said OK.

The police and courts obviously have a tough job with this sort of crime.  I've had stereo stuff stolen and then spotted it a car, I got my stuff back but the guy (almost certainly the thief) just claimed to have bought the stuff on the street.  No charges.  The DA has to prove that the buyer knew the parts were stolen to make a charge of receiving stolen goods stick and that must be tough as they do not even bring charges very often.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 04:56:03 PM »
Hmmm, that must be the case.  I would think just having the parts in your possession would be enough to bring a charge, but maybe that is not the case.

I hope everything works out for you.