Author Topic: i think i'm running lean in the mtns.  (Read 1402 times)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
i think i'm running lean in the mtns.
« on: December 28, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »
These codes throw everytime we take the car to the mtns. It usually happens somewhere between fylod hill and idaho springs when headed west. Usually under load or when i am passing someone. I clear them and they come back on the way home when we go over vail pass or up to eisenhoswer coming east.

17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean

P1136 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected

16685 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded

16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too high
P0328 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

When i drive the car around denver i never throw the codes, even when i drive the car hard. I have replaced the following:

-Coilpacks (4) (last month)
-vacumn lines (2 weeks ago - common fix for the bank lean code)
-MAF (this week - 2nd common fix for the bank lean code)
-Injectors w/ new TT225 Bosch (2 weeks ago)
-added FMIC (last month)

I am pulling timing on all 4 cylinders. My CF on the timing retard is ranging between 9-11.3 on all 4 cylinders when the car is under load in the moutains (vag block 020). My EGT's are ranging from 870 deg to 930 deg for the highest value when in the mtns.

I could be completly wrong, but i think i am running lean. i am concerned about doing damage to the engine. any insight is appreciated. I haven't been able to get ahold of Randy so i have been buying replacement parts (injectors, MAF, vacumn lines) at Pretige for the past 2 weeks and i am running out of ideas and $$.

Any suggestions? I also don't have a working vagcom right now, i borrowed one to check and go to the mtns. I can borrow one again, but i am sick of hassling people. I really need to order my new VAGCOm cable.
 thanks.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
Re: i think i'm running lean in the mtns.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:46:28 AM »
Check your plugs?  Did you reset all the codes after you replaced the coil packs and the MAF?  

Get a wide band Air Fuel meter and see what the car is doing and log EGT's.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:46:28 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:33:48 AM »
i will try to pull the plugs over the weekend and see how they look. I cleared the codes after the replacing the MAF. The coilpacks were replaced a month ago and i have cleared the codes several times since then.

Where do you suggest i get a Air/fuel meter and where is the best place to tap in at?  I will need to borrow a vag again to re-log the egt's.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:28:49 AM »
For wide band you need to add another O2 sensor.  There are several wide band air/fuel meters on the market, Innovative LM1, AEM, etc, etc...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!