Author Topic: PHP web apps  (Read 1182 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
PHP web apps
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:32:18 PM »
alright, I know many of you are or have been developers.  can any of you suggest a good class or book where I can pick up some knowledge pretty quickly about building PHP web apps?  This is going to be a case of having the marketing guy learn some web development to do this in house because his boss doesn't want to spend the $ to bring in a developer to have it done right.   :roll:
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: PHP web apps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
um...PHP developers are cheap relative to Java and ASP/.NET developers.

As for learning, there are some online resources of course. I would just search for learn php online or something like that. I learned it by dissecting code. Same way I learned HTML 12 years ago. Oh my God, did I just say 12 years. Ugh I am getting old.

Feel free to ask questions as well, obviously I know PHP (I am not an expert though) and I am pretty sure Andrew (34K) knows PHP pretty well, better than me most likely. So you know you have resources around here.

I have always like the O'Reilly books, they are good. I assume that you are using PHP because you are going to tie into a MySQL db or something similar?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »
Quote from: "gietl";p="55294"
I assume that you are using PHP because you are going to tie into a MySQL db or something similar?

yep, that is the plan.  mostly we want to put together a simple database with some web interfaces in order to get us out of trying to keep multiple spreadsheets in sync.  I may just have to take that same disecting the code approach.  I learned visual basic that way (and HTML too).  

Usually I just learn enough of these apps to be dangerous...
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »
That's the only way to be, living on the edge!

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
The online docs for PHP are thorough and helpful--unlike some others I've used, so that will be an essential reference. The most useful subset of those docs is the function reference (and PHP has a dump-truck load of functions!). I've worked with Perl (EEK!), PHP (meh), CF (meh x 2), and now Python via the Django web framework (woohoo!). All have their strengths (save for perl which is best left out of the web scripting discussion), but if you want to make a couple of basic DB-enabled pages with a well-documented and widely used set of tools, PHP is the one.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:24:12 PM »
Oh yeah, and Charles, he is the PHP masta. ;) Sorry for forgetting you before. :(