Author Topic: the MINI is getting MORE love :)  (Read 5117 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
the MINI is getting MORE love :)
« on: February 17, 2007, 04:02:17 AM »
besides all the custom interior, dynamat, leather accents, I have ordered some Ireland Engineering (BMW performance engineering products) rear adjustable control arms and front adjustable camber plates.  Also got new wheel arch moldings and new Cooper S side sills.  Debating on getting them painted body color, but might just leave them black.  The ones on there now are scratched, as they came off the Mule from Webb Motorsports.

Can't wait to get this stuff installed and the car running again. :twisted:

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: the MINI is getting MORE love :)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »
those mods sound awesome Jon.  your car will like being back on the road once this snow melts.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
John, that's awesome! Leave them black  :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
yeah, I am thinking I will just leave them black...part of the character of the car, but every once in a while, full body paint seems soooooo nice.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:18:07 PM »
just added samco hose kit, vaccuum and radiator...well, just the upper ones so far, I may have Randy do the lower one this spring with a radiator flush, etc.  Also added a TSW engine damper with reinforced brackets.  Trying to stabilize the engine and reduce lurch.  I think it looks pretty cool, if nothing else :)

On the way, still waiting patiently
--blue leather
--tan leather
--blue and tan cocomats  www.cocomats.com/Custom.htm
--camber plates
--adjustable rear lower control arms
--mini dragon eyes
--3 spoke air bag, as I got a newer 3 spoke wheel for cheap, may swap with the current 2 spoke
--#10 billiard ball Whalen Shift Machine shift knob with brass fittings
--MINI scanner tool
--new fender trim and side sills...and yes JR, they will remain black
--more dynamat

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:51 PM »
Nice Jon, you are out of control!  I love the camber plates on my Ur, no uneven tire wear!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
yup, that is the goal...as I don't trach the car anymore, I want to set it up so things are more even.  With it lowered, the car has a ton of camber...mainly in the rear, but the adjustable rear control arms will fix that...and the front will be easy.  Once i get it all installed, I will look into a custom alignment, with a little toe for the rear to make the car more stable on the highway.  Right now, it has zero toe front and rear, and it is uber twitchy.  I just want it more stable and fun to drive on a daily basis.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 11:18:37 AM »
re-did the steering wheel, much better cut this time, and added some color, tan ostrich leather, blue snake skin, made the shifter boot to match, there will also be stripes like this on the door cards...but that will be some time next week or the week after that.  First I want to get the dash cover done as that will be the hardest part due to the complex curves.

my fingers hurt :(

the shifter ball is there just for mock up, the actual one will be much larger, and have a fitting on the bottom to finish it off, as well as a locking mechanism made of brass.  The little one there is being held up with a screw driver :)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
Jon, I feel obligated as your friend to tell you this:  You've gone off the deep end.  Seek help. 8O
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »
:twisted:

I have been quietly dreaming of this project for over 2 years now, just waiting for the right time to pull the car apart.  I guess the blizzard was productive for me  :lol:

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="54973"
John, that's awesome! Leave them black  :)

here is what it sould look like if I do full body paint, well, sort-of.  This blue is lighter than mine, Hyper blue, I have a darker Indi Blue.  I have those S-side sills, and will have new arch trim pieces, so I can have them all painted before I install them.  Wonder what SVE would charge to do that for me without install?

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »
I like the color matched better.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:17:40 AM »
The Jeep Rescue green looks nice.

You should also look at the BMW Olivine Green (from the 5-series), which is a more subdued metallic olive green, or a BMW Urban Green (from the Z4) which is a flat olive-khaki green.  Ford had an unusual color on their limited edition Kona Focus which was a metallic dirt color which sounds wierd but works very well.

I personally don't think a very metallic or a richly toned color suits your truck very well, it may make it look a little too rice or out of place.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »
that shift knob is amazing.  how much would it cost me to get one like that?  i love the colors you chose, and the ostrich is amazing.  Out of curiosity, ahve you ever thought of using sting-ray skin?  its quite popular over hear, and lasts quite a bit longer than leather.  I have a wallet made out of it, and was thinking of how cool it would be as a shift boot. 

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:58:34 AM »
the shift knobs are specifically made for the MINI by www.whalenshiftmachine.com  due to the locking mechanism.  They do not screw on like VAG knobs...so you would need to modify it quite a bit.  It ran me $100 for the entire thing, ball, workmanship, and the locking mechanism...all put together and shipped to me.

never thought of sting-ray skin, interesting idea, I would have to see it first.  I already have thought of another interior overhaul, but that is way down the line, like 5-8 years....but it will be done by a professional, not gonna do it my self.

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 04:55:13 AM »
the only downside i can see coming from stingray skin is the bumpy surface keeping dirty inside of it.  it would not be that comfortable as an armrest though, so keeping something like a strip of it like you did with the snake skin would probably be the more realistic idea. 

here is a wallet similar to my father's.  mine is smaller, and has taken a beating, from mud, rain, sand, freezing cold, humidity, and it still looks real nice...so overall, its a very strong leather. 

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »
Uh, Jon, you're sick. Agreed with Pat. Seek help.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
this thread is actually old, Pat told me I needed help back in February...car has been done since March ;)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
I'll bet Alan accidentally resurrected it. His post seems a bit out of place.  :P Still hot and still a sickness  ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
Haha I would love to see your car in person.  I know the thread is dated, but MAN the mini is sounding insane!
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 05:22:46 PM »
I got to ride in it on Saturday (thanks again for the lift Jon).

the mini is AWESOME!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »
if you make it to Alan's on Wednesday, it will be there.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »
I've got other pictures somewhere, but this is basically what it looks like on the inside now...I have added metal pedals and dead pedal, and some other things....center caps, etc.  I also still have to do my camber plates and rear adjustable control arms....I now have blue ones :)

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 10:29:02 PM »
dude it looks sweet. i can't wait to see it tommarow. And yes i aggree, you have gone off the deep end. you make the rest us look like saints.  ;D