Author Topic: B5 at Colorado Auto Parts  (Read 1635 times)

zmaninco

• Lightly Modded
B5 at Colorado Auto Parts
« on: February 22, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
Hey folks,

I was at Colorado Auto Parts and there is a 98 Passat there.  It was a very nice ride, very clean, and recently had lots of work done including all new brakes, new timing belt, beautiful paint.  It had heated cloth seats also, which I didn't even know were available.

It was t-boned on the passenger side and subsequently totalled.  It was a 1.8T.  Someone already purchased the engine and auto tranny.  They are pulling those and the rest of the car will be back in the yard shortly.  Some interior parts were taken, but lots still there.

Was this a member ride?  Hope not.  It was a shame to see what was once such a nice ride that was well taken care of end up in the yard.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: B5 at Colorado Auto Parts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33:07 PM »
What color is it? Cloth (velour) seats are the base seats, leather was extra. My old 2000 B5 had cloth heated seats.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33:07 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »
Oh, and if anyones heating elements are out, would be a good time to go get em from this car.

zmaninco

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »
Whoops!

It is Colorado Red (burgandy) with black cloth interior.

Had alloys...they are gone.

Z

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:52:54 PM »
Mine was Colorado Red :(

I don't believe that was anyone I know of, sad to hear about a B5 being totaled.

A4play

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
My B5 A4 drivers seat heats up really really slow, you think I could get a heating element from the passat, and if so, do you think that could even be my problem? I just kinda figured it had something to do with the wires in the seat being broken

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »
It's odd, in my B5 Passat and C5 A6 the seats were always a little slow to warm up, but in my C4 S4 they warm up really quick.

If they are working they should be fine. If the element burns out it burns out totally as I understand. The elements are pretty pricey to replace, so if you can get them for dirt cheap and they are known to be good they may not be bad. Of course it may be easier to just take the whole seat from the car and strip it at home and then either try and sell the seat or scrap it...or make an office chair. :)

A4play

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »
ya my passenger seat heats up real quick, but I was told that if you put something heavy, or kneel on your seat it can break some of the heating wires in the seat? I've been guessing thats my problem and don't even wanna know how much it would cost to replace all the wires or just the whole seat.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
Ahh I see what you are saying, seems logical. There are write ups out there I am pretty sure on how to replace the elements. I know it is not real easy, but if you can do it yourself it is far less than what the dealer or anyone else would charge.

I believe the elements are the same between Audi and VW, but you may want to verify that before going junking.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »
There was a CO Red B5 that I used to see up in Ft. Collins a lot while I lived up there.  I wonder if this was it and it was sold to someone down in the Denver area.  It was lowered, had aftermarket wheels and a mesh grill and exhaust too, IIRC.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.