Author Topic: Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!  (Read 22504 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:35:42 PM »
So there are a few recalls on the ol b6. Take it in Saturday, they need a part from another dealer so it'll be done Monday. This part being a vacuum hose.

We go to pick it up, Renee flags me down and says "It's not fixed." I hop in and start the car, mash on the brake and hear....hiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Great.

While Renee is standing outside the car she says "OMG, what happened to your car!" I get out and the front wheel is all scratched up in a circular motion, like from a tire machine.

Then I look, so is the back one, and it is worse. Head over to the passenger side, ding, ding, yep, both of those are chewed up as well.

At this point I am just like, WTF. We head back in and our Service Writer is really helpful and comes out to check. He hears the hiss and says lets get you a rental, I don't trust this. I point out the wheels and he agrees that it looks like damagage from a wheel/tire machine thing.

Now why would they be messing with my tires? One of the TPMS sensors is broken, I did not mention it to them when I dropped off the car, but I also didn't sign off on them investigating it. We are assuming here, both myself and the Service Writer that the tech took each wheel off to investigate the issue.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of my
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »
WOW...  So how bad are the wheels?  This is an example of why I choose to work on my if I can.  Hope all goes well in the end.. and the fix the hose that you brought it in for in the first place. :o
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 04:44:53 PM »
Yeah, the car wouldn't stop, so it is a must have. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »
OMG...that is just crazy.  They better get you some new rims...no fixies IMHO.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
I don't even want this car in my garage anymore at this point. Only 16 more months.:) Unless we can sell it. At least all the kinks will be worked out. Still, I fully expect a new set of wheels.

Hell you guys remember my story about Discount, I made them get me a new wheel. I HATE chewed up wheels. For winters yes, but not if it's my only set or the Summers.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »
I've pretty well soured on dealers and warranties.  People I know with Acura and Infiniti are happy with the service, but my experience with VW and Audi has not been great.  Maybe not even good.

The service people seem to forget that their job is not just to fix my car, it is their job to sell me another new car in a few years.

My Passat, they could not fix a common MAF problem after several visits and in the meantime they washed my car with a dirty rag, scratching and swirling my freshly clayed and waxed black paint.

Audi, they fixed a few things but did kind of a halfass job.  They replaced my CC head but blew a fuse for the heated seats controller... then they charged me $0.80 for the fuse.  The radio harness was left loose so a speaker cut out, but I fixed that myself.  They were unable to hear what sounded to me like the LF wheel bearing going out.  Thankfully after several visits with no results the wheel bearing became so loose and fried I could shake the wheel in the parking lot.  When they saw that, they replaced that wheel bearing.  Nice work boys.  

I'm pretty convinced the way to go is to get a good used car out of warranty (or maybe with a little warranty left) and either do most of the work yourself or work with a good indie shop that values their rep.  The VW and Audi dealers in Boulder must feel they sell enough cars, they do not care how unhappy a customer is on the service side.  Sad.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
Here's an update, parts are on order, sounding like they are going to replace the entire booster.

As for the wheels, I'm sure this will come as a shock. Tech says they didn't take the wheels off the car.

Well someone did. The service manager will be in tomorrow. So hopefully not only will the car be done tomorrow but a resolution on the wheels. They have until tomorrow to give me a satisfactory response on the wheels or I will escalate it and waste a lot of my valuable time.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
Good lord. Of course he's not going to admit screwing with the wheels. He's probably barely 18 and doesn't know his way around a truck much less a whole car.

My wife just called me this mornign and said, "My oil light is flashing"  8O  :x That Jetta doesn't have 24K on it yet...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:57:12 PM »
OMG...what a complete waste of your time.  I certainly hope they do the right thing.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »
:evil:   Man I would be chomping at the bit too!  I really feel for you Jay.  Wheel problem aside, do you get a feeling all of these "repairs" are systematic of the B6 model or are you just an unfortunate person?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
That sucks.  I suppose it would be wise in these modern times to take a bunch of pics at the dealer when you drop off your car for service.  *sigh.*
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 05:32:18 PM »
What would be better, and I know either McDonald or one of the others used to do this, is a walk around on the car showing any damage to the car at drop off. So there is no question. Hell unless you use Polaroids and take two pictures of each wheel, one for you and one for the dealer they can always argue digital photos are doctored or not current.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
Update: Parts aren't in yet, great, another day with a crummy Chevy cobalt. Well bad for Renee I still have the Audi. :) Though I don't understand why if you have a $25K car that they stick you with a $14K rental car. Granted we could have upgraded but then we would have to pay.

I got the old, "the service manager will be in this afternoon and we will discuss the wheel situation." I'll tell you what, this service manager seems to work like 4 hours a week, I want their job. They weren't there Monday or Tuesday and come in after lunch on Wednesday. I'm guessing the end of a vacation, but still.

Unfortunately I fear the worst, I have a feeling I am going to have to roll up my sleeves and get dirty to get this resolved. I don't like this feet dragging they are doing and that usually means I am about to get screwed.

I have VWCC lined up on speed dial to file a complaint if I get any grief from the service manager. I have been more than patient at this point from both the safety aspect of this situation and the damage to all four wheels.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »
Well if it hasn't been said enough, don't go to McDonald VW. They basically told me that they did not damage my wheels and that's the way it is. The service manager is telling me they did not take my wheels off and he tried to belittle me by acting like I am some chump that knows nothing about cars, wheels or the machines that can destroy them.

When I prodded about why my car was not properly tested, and the fact that not only was it not tested properly but that they left the hose off the brake booster that his techs are human and make mistakes.

So if that's one tech, that is two mistakes on one car in a short period of time. Not reconnecting the booster hose and not hearing the very audible hissing of the not connected booster.

I am FURIOUS at this point but not surprised by McDonald VW's response. I should have just called VW roadside and had them tow it to Osborn where it would have been done right in the first place and there would be no damage.

STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALD VW ON BROADWAY IN LITTLETON, CO.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Stay away from McDonald VW for service!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »
I am NEVER going there.   I had my Audi at McDonald for a service, nothing bad happened to my car, but a lady in a convertible was driving away with a HUGE dent in the side.  The tech said he put it there and they should tell the lady.  The service writer said..."No, don't say anything, if she drives off the lot, it is her responsibility, not ours."  I over heard that and asked for a manager...had the ladies plate number, and spoke VERY LOUDLY about how I saw them release a car they damaged and then wanted to not inform the owner.  The service manager called the woman, got her on the phone, asked her to come back, I witnessed the infraction, so I stayed to talk to her.  She was livid to say the least.  I went back a week later to McDonald, and the female service writer was "released from her duties", is what I was told by the service manager.  After that last visit, I never returned to McDonald, and never will.  I boycott them, sales, service, and parts.

I say, call VWCC and give them HELL.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »
The call can't happen until tomorrow unfortunately because it is too late for today. The SM just called back and again stated they didn't do it. He is being professional about it, but again, I just don't know what to say.

I told them the car needs to be ready by noon tomorrow. I will contact VWCC tomorrow as well. The SM with have the Parts and Service Director contact me when he gets back in town to see if there is anything else they can do.

Frankly, I'm sure I will be fed the same garbage they are feeding me now. The problem as a consumer is that unless we are able to sit there with them the whole time, there is no way to prove our case. We are always the ones that lose out.

I inquired if they have surveillance cameras in the service areas and he says no, which to me is surprising.  I would want that stuff monitored all the time just for situations like this.

Also, when I told the SM there was no walk around done on the car he was shocked, and I have a feeling the service writer confirmed that.

So basically it is a matter of my word versus theirs and of course they hold all the cards.

My last request, get the car repaired properly and don't touch it after that. Don't wash it, don't do anything other than what is required to perform the task at hand.

These people have proven their incompetence. I hate to be the guy bitching and moaning, but shit, I made discount replace my wheel for a tiny itty bitty scratch they put in the wheel. The damage to the wheels now is indescribable. It is so bad that the wheel must be refinished before I can think of selling the car or turning it in at the end of the lease. And this is on ALL FOUR WHEELS!

Argh! I'm going home I think, I am way too worked up over these people and it's not fair to me to have to micro manage the people that are supposed to be professionals. Yes we all make mistakes, but I'll be the first to admit mine.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 09:39:23 PM »
This is precisely why I always buy cars out of warranty...

Sorry to hear about it, good luck with complaining to VWCC.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 10:09:59 PM »
File a complaint with the BBB.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 10:16:42 PM »
On my agenda for the morning. I can't believe how much time I have to take away from work and personal time to deal with this matter. No one should have to deal with these problems. I guess I am lucky that it's just wheels. Who knows, maybe my car will come back totally trashed.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »
You should have seen the battle I had with Centerline - I feel for ya' man :evil:

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:26:43 AM »
Jay regarding your post on vortex about cameras: I just talked to two people who used to work there and one says there are cameras while the other says there are no cameras. The one saying there are none worked for the parts dept so I dont think he would fully know if there was or not. The other one, Sterling who was a tech, said that due to some thefts of wheels that ended up on another techs car that cameras were installed. I can't really vouch for the truth behind either ones statement but it's something.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

zadieman

• n00balicious
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »
Why don't we put a couple of cars parked on the street outside the dealership, put signs on top of the cars, and warn people to stay away from the dealership. I did this before when I purchased a Scirocco that the engine and transmission came apart after a clutch job and three seperate adjustments by the dealership, then they denied to help me anymore. I put a big sign up on the car and chased away their customers for three hours. They gave in, took the car back and I even made them issue me a certifiend check for the whole amount.  Sad but true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Casi Cielo
1979 Conv SB - 2007 B6 4 Motion

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 02:31:13 AM »
I used to take my car to McDonald a long time ago when that Bell guy was there (he really respects the car club people), but ever since he left I felt the service and quality has gone downhill.  The last time I had service with them they left me stranded at the light rail station for two hours, eventhough I took an hour off work early so that they could pick me up there before rush hour!!!  :x

So I have been taking my car to Mountain States which I have been getting pretty good service plus they provide shuttle service to pretty much anywhere you want, which makes my life so much easier since I work regular office hours.  Mountain States recently changed ownership (I forgot what it's called now), hopefully the service will remain just as good.

Randy at Autobahn is also a really trusted place if you are not going for warranty or recall service.

You should file a complaint with both VWoA and the BBB if you don't get everything resolved.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 12:59:29 PM »
Quote from: "aowhaus";p="55855"
I used to take my car to McDonald a long time ago when that Bell guy was there (he really respects the car club people), but ever since he left I felt the service and quality has gone downhill.  The last time I had service with them they left me stranded at the light rail station for two hours, eventhough I took an hour off work early so that they could pick me up there before rush hour!!!  :x

So I have been taking my car to Mountain States which I have been getting pretty good service plus they provide shuttle service to pretty much anywhere you want, which makes my life so much easier since I work regular office hours.  Mountain States recently changed ownership (I forgot what it's called now), hopefully the service will remain just as good.

Randy at Autobahn is also a really trusted place if you are not going for warranty or recall service.

You should file a complaint with both VWoA and the BBB if you don't get everything resolved.

Mtn. States is now Emich and I'd go there if I were to buy a car. They have a lot of folks back from when Mtn. States was a decent dealerhips (about four years go). The same people are back now (sales) that were there when I bought my Passat. I have nothing but respect for them having spent time with them off the job.

Anyway, Osborne's (JT) always treated us really well on what little work we've had done. But for everything else? There's Randy!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
Opened a case with VWCC, they will of course follow up with the dealer. They were very nice an understanding and the guy commended me on being so calm. I was just like, I have enough stress in my life already, blowing up and getting irate isn't going to get anything resolved.

He was also very up front with me and said, you know, these situations are always very difficult, more than likely the dealer is going to continue to deny that they did the damage and there isn't anything we can do about that. He did say that he hopes this will come to an acceptable resolution to which I agreed.

I told them I am just really disappointed and this is just not how consumers should be treated. Now I understand completely that there are total asshats out there that are always trying to swindle things from dealers and so forth. So I know I have that to fight because the dealership does need to protect their interests.

Lets just sit back and see what happens, I am nervous about taking delivery of the car because of the ramifications it could have. I may contact the dealership and let them know until the parts/service director contacts me I can't take delivery of the car.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
I got some more info on my quest to know if they have cameras at McDonald VW, it appears that there are in the tire shop as mentioned, but that it probably isn't going to do me a lot of good. Which I figured, but I really wanted to investigate any options I might have.

Basically, if there were clear enough video showing my car going to and fro and all that. Still, like they would let me view any of that video. The amounts we are talking about here don't constitute anything other than small claims anyway.

I know the troubleshooter.com website has a link to free legal info. Mainly in regard to consumer rights, though I feel like I have none at this time. I am going to give them a call this afternoon and see if they have any input.  Frankly, if it were only one wheel, I would just suck it up and be like, well I'll never go back there and I will bitch about it a lot. Then again, if it were one wheel maybe they would work with me?

Who knows, my patience is running out and I really want this over with soon. I can't believe a simple recall job has turned into all of this.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »
I like the suggestion above - a visual protest.  Let's picket the dealer - I'm all in for it ;)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I was thinking I could get some vinyl graphics made that says something like "McDonald VW did this to my wheels" over each wheel well.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
I just got a call from the service writer, keep in mind the service manager promised me a call at around 11 am today. The service write let me know that the part(s) did not arrive with the morning shipment. It is still possible they will be in this afternoon, but not likely.

So just to highlight this...recall job...Saturday said it would no problem to be done Saturday. I have to call right before they close because they didn't call me only to find out they need a part so it will be done Monday. Late Monday afternoon I call again because I've heard nothing and leave a message, get a call back that the car is done and that the TPMS warning was investigated. We go to pick it up Monday, brake line hiss and the damage. They don't investigate the new issue until Tuesday morning and can't get parts in on Tuesday. Car should have been done Wednesday, no parts, then the car was supposed to be done by noon today (Thursday)...no parts. So now maybe it will be done later today, maybe tomorrow?

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
I too got very frustrated with their lack of communication and ability to complete the work in predicted time frames.  I vowed never to go back to McDonald for anything - they've got more clowns there than the burger joint.  It's tough to step foot on that lot even for Octdubberfest.