Author Topic: Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!  (Read 22412 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2007, 03:28:04 PM »
Hopefully we will have a resolution this week, we have the car back. Looking into having the wheels refinished. I need to get a "second opinion" on the damage to see if it could have possibly been caused by anything other than a tire machine.

I'll keep you all updated obviously and post up some pictures when i have some time.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »
They called me the other day and told me the approximate costs for the refinishing and what they would pay and what I would be expected to pay. I let them know I still needed to get the car into Osborn to have the damage looked at per our previous discussion.

I am still waiting to hear about about how we would work the refinishing as I don't have an extra set of wheels for the Passat. I need to see if the wheels from my Audi will work. I could just throw my winter wheels on the Passat and put my Summers on the Audi. :)

I just need to make sure the bolt pattern and offset are okay. I do have spacers currently on my winters to clear the front brakes better on the Audi.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
the wheels from the audi should fit the passat, as long as it's an A4/S4 and not a TT.  The Passat has the same 5x112 bolt pattern that the A4/S4's have.  If you need wheels, let me know, you can roll around on one of the spare sets I have.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the offer, if my sets wont work I may take you up. I would expect it would only be for a week or a little longer.

As for my fitment concern, it's only due to the age of this car, since it is a UrS4 (C5) I wasn't sure if things were the same way back then as they are today. The offset on the B6 is a bit different than the B5(.5)/C5 as well so not all wheels work.

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »
Bolt pattern is the same, as long as the offset is around 35mm, you should be ok...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:30 PM »
Danke

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Have been playing a little phone tag because of my busy schedule. I did get a call from VWOA last night asking me about my service experience. It turned into a 30 minute call talking about my "experience."

I was really impressed with how the person I spoke with was intent on getting all the details and understanding the situation. I also had to correct them, they said my car was in and don on March 15, when in fact it went in on the 10th and we didn't get it back until the 19th.

So I am sure McDonald Automotive will hear about this as well, but I do give them some credit for trying to work with me. Hopefully we will have a resolution before I head out of town.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
nice, at least someone is listening...now the proof of the pudding is if they actually do something to correct the situation and your wasted time.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »
This should be one of the last updates....

Got a call this morning, we have an acceptable and fair resolution. McDonald is taking full responsibility for the refinishing of the wheels and putting us in a rental while they are being refinished. They expect a couple days on the work. We should be getting this done late next week or the following since I am getting ready to head out of town for a few days.

While I am still a bit upset, I am looking forward to this situation being a thing of the past. I know McDonald feels the same way. I am a very fair person I believe, so in being fair I will say that even though it took some time, they did step up and come to terms with a resolution that is agreeable to both parties. The parts and service director was very friendly through the whole process and while we had to play some phone tag with our busy schedules talking over the resolution was pain free.

I am still apprehensive about ever going back there for service, I do have some piece of mind knowing that they did address my concerns even though it took a lot of my personal time and grief. If you ever do choose McDonald Automotive or any other dealer or shop, I highly recommend doing a walk around to ensure that everyone is on the same page about the condition of the car at drop off. While 9 out of 10 times nothing happens, it just takes that one time for there to be a mistake that causes some sort of damage.

I'd like to think that if someone damaged my car they would step up, but not unlike Alan's recent parking lot incident, unless you have a witness or someone who is willing to confess it can be very difficult to get a resolution.

Sorry this is long winded, but I did post all the negatives so I have to be fair and post the positives. I am also yanking the ad at the top of the site in good faith. They made no reference to these posts or the site, so there is no "We'll do this if you remove that."

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
im glad this worked out for you.  you are certainly not the first to have issues there, nor will you be the last.  the ONLY reason you had a positive resolution is your persistance.  believe me, if they thought for 1 sec. you would back off, they would not have done what they did for you.  they have a notorious local reputation....and for good reason.  I've had several friends have issue there...

i can appreciate you bringing the positive to light, and that speaks volumes about your character....and likewise im glad the situation is resolved.

if your are lucky, you will have 4 refinished wheels, in 4 different colors of silver, about 3 months from now. :lol:
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2007, 03:11:25 AM »
nice to hear that McDonald is cooperating -- they should know full well that word will get around of their negligence if they don't accept their fault and be responsible for their mistakes.  That's the power of the internet and car clubs!  :thumbup:
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2007, 03:14:15 AM »
ahhh, screw them, even if they are going to make it right, they sure put you through the ringer.  i will never go to them, nor will I ever buy a car from them.  I will also tell all those interested in buying a car from them to go somewhere else.  having your car worked on should not be such a stressful situation.  Simple as that for me.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »
Quote from: "03Indigo";p="56401"
ahhh, screw them, even if they are going to make it right, they sure put you through the ringer.  i will never go to them, nor will I ever buy a car from them.  I will also tell all those interested in buying a car from them to go somewhere else.  having your car worked on should not be such a stressful situation.  Simple as that for me.

yep, what he said.

glad to hear your car will be back to normal Jay.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2007, 04:17:19 AM »
at least everyone here knows what really went on.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2007, 04:54:43 PM »
Looks like we will be dropping the car off first thing next Thursday morning.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2007, 07:41:02 PM »
when you drop it off, take a bunch of pictures while you are walking around the car with them.....let them know you are "watching" them and don't want to waste any more of your time.

you are much nicer than me, but that is what I would do...

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »
Hey Jay,

The VW regional rep lives about 5 houses away from me.  I first noticed that he had 2 06 Passats in his driveway and stopped to say hi one day when I saw him out.  I told him that I was envious of his 2 06's since I had 2 '02's.  He informed me he was the rep.  If things get really bad we can park in front of his house with all of the club members and have a sit in.  I live in Highlands Ranch off Quebec south of Lincoln behind Redstone Elementary.

This dealership rub scares me about getting a new ride one day.  Thank goodness for Randy.

Good Luck,

Scott

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »
Thanks Scott, I keep forgetting you are so close to me. :)

Jon, yeah, I am nervous, but I think they know I am watching and we WILL do a walk around when I drop the car off.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »
Dude, Scott, you live right near my sister, she lives in the Hearth.

I am all in for a sit in :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
We dropped the car off yesterday, then came back later with the all seasons so they can put hose tires on when the wheels come back. While dropping off the tires last night they informed us their wheel refinishers couldn't do the work. Or at least they said they weren't sure how to do the work since the wheels are machined.

Now they are off to Spec to be refinished and we should have them done by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll update again as we get there.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:51 PM »
I got a call last night that it was all done, I also had them replace my broken TPMS sensor. We couldn't get the car last night, then they called me today. They checked over the car again and two wheels were not acceptable so they are now back at SPEC getting refinished again. Should have the car back in the next day or so.

I will give them this, they are really doing their best to make sure this is all done right.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
Meh....too little to late IMO.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
I'm still not a happy camper over this whole experience, but I am a fair person, so while I may bash them in this thread, I will at least be fair enough to highlight their good things even if it is late in the game.

I am just thankful we didn't go down last night or first thing this morning. I would have hated to be the one to point out an imperfection.

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »
Jay, I give you allot of credit to stay calm and stick to your guns.  I am glad that this is winding down.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »
Good call Jay. At least they determined that two wheels were not up to par and took the initative.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2007, 11:00:40 PM »
The saga continues.....

I got a call Friday, cars done! Halfway home, I get another call, TPMS sensor warning wont turn off. I tell them to keep it until today to resolve that issue.

I get a call before lunch that it's all done. We head down this evening, drop off the rental and walk down to the service department. I see the car out front, we get the service writer who has been working with us this whole time.

We go back out to look everything over. I first check the passenger front, looks good, looks great even. Get to the passenger rear, not so good. Looks like there are marks, you can't feel them so I am wondering  if it is a clear coat issue? Then over to the drivers rear, looks okay, a few imperfections, but I can live with it. Drivers front...OMG..totally unacceptable. I can feel the scratches which quite possibly might be new!

So I refuse to take the car, the SW is fine with that and says the manager will take a look tomorrow. Of course we were slightly chastised for returning the rental car for this very reason. I was like, well you've had the car for almost two week, sent wheels back twice. I actually believed everything was done!

Now the rental car place is closed, so it was an $18 cab ride home. I am not happy, but it's not like I am going to explode. However, I am extremely disappointed and still recommend avoiding McDonald Volkswagen. I know Spec did the wheel refinishing, but in the end, McDonald is responsible for ensuring that everything is DONE before attempting to deliver the car to me. On top of all this, when everything is said and done I still have to give them money for the broken TPMS sensor I had that I asked them to replace since the wheels and tires would be off.

Story of my life I tell ya.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »
Man Jay, Im sorry to hear your still having problems.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2007, 12:40:35 AM »
Damn Jay - wanna borrow the Volvo?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2007, 01:18:54 AM »
Par for the course, my friend.   :x
Sorry to hear you have to go through all this.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2007, 03:25:18 AM »
stupidity and incompetance -- totally unacceptable.  :thumbdown:

I suggest sharing your complaints here:
http://1.8t.org/dealers/?fs=co&sd=desc  
McDonald Audi is rated the worst dealership in CO, and there's only one rating for McDonald VW, so I think you should add your experience there.

Sorry to hear you still have to deal with this nonsense.
They should've provide you with a loaner car since the rental place is closed and the inconvenience and trouble you had to go through.
They used to have a shuttle service, but in my experience they could not be trusted or relied on at all.