Author Topic: any experience with these General tires?  (Read 1519 times)

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
any experience with these General tires?
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:15:15 PM »
General Exclaim UHP

The ratings on TireRack look outstanding, putting this modestly priced ($100 for 235/40/18) ultra high performance tire up there with the best of them. And by 'up there', I mean at the top #1 spot in the UHP category. What gives? I know the reports from tirerack aren't exactly the best method of judgment, but most of the time they are on target.

Any experiences with these?

EDIT: TireRack has a road test comparison on their site which puts the Generals up against similar offerings from Goodyear, Kumho and Yokohama.

They're lookin' pretty good to me, and might be replacing the Pirellis this spring.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: any experience with these General tires?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »
Hey Charles, I don't know anything about the tires in question, but have owned three sets of ES 100s, and have been using the SPTs as summer tires for the last year.  For an everyday tire, I SLIGHTLY prefer the SPTs, although for sporty driving the ES 100s are slightly better due to the stiffer sidewall.  The SPTs just feel a little squishy and not as responsive as the ES 100s.  Also, Yoko is introducting a tire to replace the ES 100 and AVS Sport in a few months.  It's call the S. Line.  Check it out.
Oh, and the SPTs are about $88 in 18s.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:19:29 PM »
I myself am considering them...i am between the Generals and the Kumho SPTs.  The Generals rate higher, but because I am unfamiliar with the brand, I am more inclined to go with the Kumho.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
That's pretty much what I'm down to also. When I compare them side by side, however, I'm leaning toward the Generals. Not just for price, but the ratings are better overall (even though the road test said otherwise), and they have a 5lb weight advantage over the Kumhos.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:08:53 AM »
totally true.  I was looking at new wheels and tires next month, but I kinda went overboard for Betsy's birthday....so I am in a holding pattern until later in the summer.

So, maybe by then, you will have them, and you can give me feedback.  Between price, weight and tirerack ratings, they seem like a better tire all around than the Kumho.  I am also looking for a quiet tire for the MINI, as it translates a ton of road noise as it is, and my current Prada Spec 2's are CRAZY loud.  Looking for a bit more comfort, the the Generals seem to really fit the bill though, but again, with my lack of knowledge of them, that is the only thing holding me back.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 02:14:44 AM »
Well it looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on them for this spring, so you can ride or drive around on them and see what you think.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »
that would be awesome, I totally want to see what they feel like, and what you think of them.