Author Topic: Chipping question  (Read 8029 times)

cooky

• n00balicious
Chipping question
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
Hi all-

I am a relatively new W8 owner (loooove it!), and have started to think about chipping my car.   8)  It seems everyone that's chipped reallly likes it!

My big concern is - will chipping a W8 void my extended warranty?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Chipping question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »
yes, if the dealership finds the chip, if they don't, then no, it won't void the warranty.

You see less gains from chipping a normally aspirated vehicle over a vehicle with forced induction.  Have you thought abut what software you are interested in?  Have you seen the gains you will receive from new software?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:36:36 PM »
Witht eh W8 I believe to get the best gain, you would need a CAI with the Chip? I could be wrong though. :)

Did Jason have his W8 chipped? Jason! JDawg! You are the resident W8 man, chime in sucka.

cooky

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
I've looked at the GIAC chips, but my search hasn't gone much further than that.

I'm a n00b when it comes to this modding stuff!    :wink:

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »
Not to shure about chipping W8's but nice choice in a Passat!  :thumbup:
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »
chipping a naturally aspirated engine like the W8 won't net you much difference in power, but you might get a little change, particularly if you accompany the chip with airbox and exhaust mods to flow more air.

as for the warranty, voiding the warranty is still a stretch.  it would only be void on issues related to the drivetrain.  if a window switch breaks, then you would still be covered.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

cooky

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:18:57 PM »
Interesting - thanks for the feedback, guys!

I guess most people that chip their Passats aren't starting out with as much "guts" as the W8 has anyway.  Would be interested to hear from Jason, as the resident W8 owner!  :)

GIAC says their W8 chip delivers 14-25 hp and 20-25 ft-lbs, but that it should be coupled with cold air intake for optimum gains.

Maybe it's not that worth it, hmmm... :?

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:34:22 PM »
I don't think it's worth it to chip a naturally aspirated motor.  It'd be hard to even feel the difference if that's all the gains are.  

If the dealer found the chip, the drivetrain warranty would be void, and that's all the expensive stuff.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:35:47 PM »
Quote from: "cooky";p="56110"
Maybe it's not that worth it, hmmm... :?

Yah, you don't want to start down the modding road - it's a path fraught with peril with a murky destination at best ;)
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

cooky

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
:lol:

That's what it sounds like!  I guess I can just be content to read stories and look at pictures here and on PassatWorld.   :wink:

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
You could always live vicariously through other members by going to car shows and sitting in the driver's seat when they're looking at other cars  :D
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
I don't think Jason visits much these days, but no, he did not chip his W8.  He sold it a while ago, now he drives an S4, B6.

I will give an example of chips between the cars I have had....first was my allroad, stock it was 250hp, chipped it was 307 hp, or something like that, and I could totally feel the difference, until I blew up the turbos ;).  Then I had my turbo outback XT, stock it was also 250hp, and chipped stage 2 with intake and uppipe and exhaust it was around 315hp...and that thing was WICKED fast.  I have not chipped the MINI yet, and it is normally aspirated.  The gains according to GIAC are only about 8hp.  I have an intake and Milltek exhaust as well, and still, overall gains are minimal.

I honestly think you would not feel a difference in overall speed, maybe a bit more low end torque, but that  is about it.  For normally aspirated cars, unless you get into headers, cams, light weight fly wheels and pulleys, etc....you won't get much from simple programs.  I think money is better spent on suspension and tires and brakes, make the car handle betteer, stop faster, corner with more control, and the car will "feel" faster as you can maintain your speed through the corners better, as well as brake at a later stage....

Tires can make an amazing difference right off, then suspension and sway bars...plant the car, make it outhandle anything else in it's class, and you will be more than happy....only thing is, not much of an aftermarket for the W8 :(....it was not designed as a tuner car, like the S4 or M3, etc.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »
The biggest difference you will fell will be in throttle response.  You will not get big numbers as far as HP and TQ.

With the GIAC program the drive by wire system is made to react quicker and the acceleration will be much improved.

Jason did not chip his W8, but he did recently chip his S4.  There is a review here somewhere if you are interested in reading his thoughts.

HTH - Randy :D
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

cooky

• n00balicious
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »
Thanks everyone, for the thoughts!   :)

I think it's a better idea to put my $ into tires, brakes, etc. if I get the urge to tinker!

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 02:38:36 AM »
Sorry, it took me over two years to respond.  However, the W8 chip was all about throttle response, and some shifting issues as I recall.  I have the diag's and dyno post chip if anyone is ever interested.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
LOL...I am sure he figured something out within the 2 years it took you to respond.  Heck, he may not even have the car anymore...*crazy*

Little late night boredom, Jason?

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:39 AM »
Not bored, but just wanted to see what was going on.  Maybe someone will end up with a W8 in the future, and want to know more about chips; by then, my memory may be a little too hazy.
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!

tokyojoe

• n00balicious
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
sorry to hijack this thread, but do *ANY* of the VW dealers in Denver offer ecu upgrades?

My initial inquiry came up as a no.

Obviously there are some great shops out here, but there is that warranty issue.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
Simple answer is no, a chip would void the warranty because it modifies the specs set by the factory. Some dealers, I think Emich for one, supports some modifications and will warranty claims. Essentially it would have to be proven that the modification lead to the issue in order for warranty to reject it.

For the most part, if you want to not risk it, cosmetic mods are really it until the warranty expires.

sorry to hijack this thread, but do *ANY* of the VW dealers in Denver offer ecu upgrades?

My initial inquiry came up as a no.

Obviously there are some great shops out here, but there is that warranty issue.

tokyojoe

• n00balicious
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 01:25:19 AM »
Thanks for the explanation. That's what I figured...although I so want to do the apr stage 1 to relieve the turbo hesitation

but I am concerned about the warranty because I have basically the remainder of the original + the 2/24 of the CPL

I actually bought my Certified Pre Loved from Emich

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
Well consider this, programs from APR and others do have the ability for you to toggle the software. You could talk to the shops to find out what their take is on "hideability."

Nowadays it's just a flash through the port. I know in the past, if you did anything via the odbII port it logged the user and they could tell if it was a show by the id or someone using a device like VAG-COm or similar.

Usually with chipping my best suggestion is to drive the car until you feel like it has no power then upgrade. Extends the enjoyment time by far.

Lastly, there are plenty of examples of people who have the software with no issues. Of course it will only take one drivetrain issue to create a potential problem.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
I would not do any "trial" software flash's.  If you would like to chip the car then do it.  There are ways to switch back and forth between performance files and stock files.  This can protect your warranty and give you the fun you are looking for.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have, just call me at the shop.

Randy
303-935-9065
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065