Author Topic: 40K Service $525?? *cough*  (Read 3449 times)

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
40K Service $525?? *cough*
« on: January 15, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »
Well.. I'm almost up to 40K miles.. and just out of curiosity I called my local friendly VW dealer to find out how much the 40K service is. $525.00 seems just a tad steep, don'tcha think? Especially considering that most everything on the list of what they do is 'check this and that'. An oil change, tire rotation, new spark plugs and a half-assed inspection of the car's systems seems like something I could do for less than $100.00...

I know most of you are over 40K, what did you do as far as servicing your fine vehicles?  I am really resistant to paying them that much money for what I know will be very little work. I'm just not sure I'd know what to look for on all the inspections.

Brad- can you offer a better deal at Osborne or privately?

Here is what is supposed to be done:
http://www.vw.com/SP/SchedMaint.jsp?displayMode=Next&makeCode=PASSAT&year=2002&engine=1.8T&odometer=39532&units=MILES
MWJD?

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 09:08:41 PM »
:oha:

Man that is too much.  I am getting there too and do NOT want to spend that, especially considering I can do all the work myself.  The only problem is that stupid warranty BS.  I am probably already screwed on that deal anyway, I think I lost one of my magic oil change reciepts.

Amanda, if you are wanting to do this yourself, I would be happy to help you.  We can run the Vag-Com and everything.  Heck I will even make an official look reciept for you.

Kraut-Sled Wrenching Service, Inc.  :P
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 09:08:41 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 09:32:32 PM »
HOLY SHIT!

I'm getting close too, I own a VW not a Porsche.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 09:38:33 PM »
Thanks.. I'd appreciate help sometime, next garage day maybe. I don't care about the stamps and warranty bullsh*t anyway, every time I go to the dealer they never stamp my book, even when I leave it sitting in the passenger seat. I'm pretty convinced I will be turning it in in 12/05, so I almost want to say 'f*ck it'. But that's probably not the smartest thing to do.
MWJD?

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 09:42:39 PM »
I like your attitude!  But none the less, just let me know and I will be happy to lend a hand.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 12:44:10 AM »
Hey Amanda, I did my own with the exception of the brake bleeding.

I need to get back on track with finding out where to take used brake fluid, but I really am getting tired of getting the run around when I ask around to the government agencies.

How close are you?  Since we have the big TB GTG coming up later in Feb, how about early March?  Order the spark plus at www.ecstuning.com and other than the brake fluid change most of the cost is labor.  And for god sakes, lube that door hinge...hehe...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 04:57:46 AM »
ooh, I'm less than 2k away from my 40k service.
I also need to get my bloody belly pan secured as it's falling off again, as well as a new fabric mesh screen for the air intake.
I'm leaning towards talking to Mountain States Motors to do the work since I have been having really bad luck with McDonalds.

But if I could get you guys to do it that would be better piece of mind.  I could pay in my cooking for you all and whatever you think is fair.
I was thinking it would cost half of Amanda was quoted (that probably doesn't include synthetic oil either).
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 01:41:03 PM »
Make sure you take that VW maintenance schedule into the dealer because for some reason, not every dealer includes all that's on that list. Weird the list just says "brake fluid" and not flush or anything. Get a quote for everything that is on that list. I'm afraid it'll be higher than the quoted $525.

I believe I paid $300-$400 for McDonald VW to do my 40K service and they definitely did not do:

1. brake fluid flush (they told me that's not included)
2. brake system check (I expected at least a recommendation from them - nothing - I replaced pads and rotors weeks after)
3. battery - check electrolyte level (no refill or recommendation from them even when it was low)

Pollen filter was jacked up when replaced. Some of you guys saw this when I did my brake job at Winston's.

I'm just wondering if they really did anything other than oil, oil filter, and spark plug change. You gotta wonder.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 01:47:36 PM »
That is why I am a fan of doing it yourself.

I did my 20K service in my frined driveway in LA this summer.  It cost about $85.00 for the parts and I know it was done right.

Maybe those of us need the service can have a GTG and do it.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 02:20:15 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
How close are you?  Since we have the big TB GTG coming up later in Feb, how about early March?  Order the spark plus at www.ecstuning.com and other than the brake fluid change most of the cost is labor.  And for god sakes, lube that door hinge...hehe...

Dub, I am very close, I will probably hit 40 next week (I have 39600 today). The thing is, my spark plugs were replaced at 5,000 miles due to misfires, so I am thinking I will do the oil change right around 40K, and then could wait until March to do the other stuff.. maybe by that time my door will start to squeak and we'll know what to do with brake fluid...hehehe. I may also call slipstream out of curiousity. It's just getting hard for me to make the time to do this myself when I'm so frickin' busy with all the shizzle going on in my life, but for over $500 I can make time. ;)

And you're right Shum- that does NOT include synthetic.

Another reason to buy an Audi.. at least they include service for the first 4 years.
MWJD?

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 07:47:41 PM »
Andrew, they probably do not include the brake fluid change in the 40K service since it only needs changing every 2 years, regardless of mileage.

Well, I'll probably buy the brake fuild changer next month either way and we can get some people together to do a change.  I will set myself a reminder to follow up on the disposal of said brake fluid.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2004, 09:01:11 PM »
Well they did teh brake fluid change at 20K, based on teh old maintenance program.  They assume you drive 10K/year.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 02:12:13 PM »
Well I got hosed with the brake fluid - my fault for being uninformed. I should be doing my second brake fluid change, but haven't even done my first.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 12:39:44 AM »
Quote from: "shummer"
Well I got hosed with the brake fluid - my fault for being uninformed. I should be doing my second brake fluid change, but haven't even done my first.

That's your excuse for bailing at the track day, hunh?

Just joshing!

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 05:55:39 PM »
...I need to get back on track with finding out where to take used brake fluid, but I really am getting tired of getting the run around when I ask around to the government agencies.

Just like with oil - any place that sells brake fluid is required to accept it for recycle.  So you should be able to just drop it off at Pep Boys or wherever... unless Colorado Law is significantly different than NM (but I think it's a Federal law, or E.P.A. regulation).
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 11:43:52 PM »
Quote from: "Rusty"
Just like with oil - any place that sells brake fluid is required to accept it for recycle.  So you should be able to just drop it off at Pep Boys or wherever... unless Colorado Law is significantly different than NM (but I think it's a Federal law, or E.P.A. regulation).

Rusty, that's good advice.  I take my oil to the local car parts shop and am in there all of the time.  I can check with them the next time I am in there.

Colorado is great (meaning very environmentally conscious to this biology major) about hazardous materials, so I assumed it would be very strict on this and there would not be many places to take it.  The few people I could get to respond to me at the governmental level were all pretty much clueless about this, so maybe I was making it more difficult that it actually was, which is a switch for me...;)

BTW, I love your FRP writeup over on CB5!  You and Chas really are mad scientists.  You guys need to start a racing team!

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 01:15:01 PM »
Quote from: "shummer"

That's your excuse for bailing at the track day, hunh?

Just joshing!

That was thin brake pads and my car literally telling me to "STOP". That freaked me out.