Author Topic: A hit and run to my car! :evil:  (Read 1211 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
A hit and run to my car! :evil:
« on: March 27, 2007, 03:12:40 AM »
This happened about a month ago, one friday I parked my car other than my usual spot (the Union Station lot charges $10 on fridays due to the ski train) on the lot at the corner of Wazee and 19th.

As I was approaching my car after work, I noticed a bunch of young folks looking at my car, particularily the rear end of my car.  As I got to my car, one of them said that someone had hit my car and took off.  They were nice enough to provide a description of the car (a white Chrysler minivan), a license plate number, and their contact information (they were vacationing from Chicago).  

I promptly called my insurance company and the police, where I passed the information.  The police soon tracked down the driver and provided me with their information.  The damages were very minor, some scrapes and spider cracks to the paint, which came to almost $700 in damages according to my Progressive quote.
The driver actually called me that following weekend (I was surprised that the police could give my number to the other party) -- he called to apologize and said that he didn't perform a hit and run as he claimed to stick around for about 5 minutes after he hit my car.  I told him that he didn't leave a card or a note and how was he supposed to know that I was going to be back at my car in 5 minutes (it was obvious that this person is not educated), which constituted a hit and run.  He said that he will pay for the damages himself and prefers not to go through the insurance company as the car is actually owned by his girlfriend -- I accepted his offer and told him I will forward the estimates to him within the next week.

A couple days later my insurance agent told me he contacted the police and received all the proper information and he also contacted the other driver, which I was suprised to hear that he couldn't pay for the entire tab.  I later called the other driver and said that I want payment for all of the damages at once (I didn't want to play the role of a bank or collector), or I'll go through their insurance company.  He said he needed a few days to get the money, which I agreed to.

Almost a month has passed and I had left a few voice mail messages.  It wasn't until I called an alternative number of his to demand payment -- he continued to be apologetic and said he didn't do a hit and run (I knew this person was a few screws short), I didn't have the patience to deal with this and said that I didn't care about what happened I just want my compensation as soon as possible.  He said that I could pick up payment from him from his home or work, but I was uncomfortable doing this as it was far for me and I don't know this person and it was in Aurora.
He said that he has court hearing for this hit and run on Monday morning (this was friday), so i suggested that I meet him shortly before at the Denver Courthouse to pick up payment.  

That morning I woke up extra early to be at the Courthouse, I call the guy to see where he was and he was apparently lost and I had to give him directions to the Courthouse!!! :x   About 10 minutes later I finally met with him and he said he didn't have the money with him as he claimed that he couldn't get to the Western Union in time the past weekend!  I told him to get the money after his hearing and give me a call once that's done and we will arrange a place to meet.  I had not heard from him the entire afternoon and left a few messages including a ultimatum to have payment delivered to my office by the end of the following day or else I will file a claim against their insurance company, which I did the next evening.  I assumed that the guy got what he deserved in the court hearing and couldn't afford to pay me back or just got really pissed off.

So I have dealt with their insurance company which they were very helpful and professional and I will be expecting a check from them soon.  I should have done this from the beginning, but I was trying to be the nice guy (eventhough it was the other guy that hit me) and being understanding of their financial situation and their unintelligence.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: A hit and run to my car! :evil:
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
I say, unless you personally know the party, always go through the other insurance company.  People will try to avoid you at all costs, and all it does is frustrate you.

Glad his insurance is handling it, how frustrating.  You need to find a new place to park ;)   That place is dangerous....

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:14:23 PM »
Alan, sorry to hear you went through this. A long time ago while I was living and attending school in Boulder I was rear ended waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street (I was turning right). The guy had an old school bronco (70's) and I was in my Fox. He hit the car on the side I JUST had repaired like 2 months earlier from a car wash incident.

The guy stayed at the scene and was very apologetic and very nice. I got the police there because my passenger had back problems from a previous accident and was already hurting from this one. He had insurance but wanted to settle with cash instead, in fact he offered to do the repairs to which I promptly said no. I told him I would think about the cash thing after I got the estimates but made no promises. Damage was around $1800. The guy's Bronco was in worse shape, the radiator got pushed back into the fan and all that.

I realized that I would be chasing this guy down forever and I was a broke college student as is, so I just went through insurance. Sure I feel bad because it was clear he has an issue with his insurance if he is begging to do cash, but the accident was his fault and I do try to be considerate to people in tough times. However, not at a cost like the one you have experienced.

On a side note Alan, with your downtown mishaps I think you need to just wrap that car in foam! Damn downtown parking lots.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
my new office (which I start tomorrow) is only a short walk from home, so my car will be in the safe confounds of my garage most of the time.  :)

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:37:05 PM »
I wouldn't do a cash deal, not unless the guy whipped out more than ample cash on the spot.  Unfortunately it's much more likely that you'll get stiffed than paid.
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:34:35 AM »
I'm dealing with their insurance company now, so I know (based on past experiences) that if there are any additional damages they can't see in the initial estimate I know that I am fully covered, including related expenses like rental car.

Based on the other driver's lack of intelligence, lack of financial resources, and lack of responsibility now I know I would never accept any kind of payment from him.

I also received a letter from the Denver Police Department stating the other driver's hit and run negligence based on the driver's recent court hearing -- it sounded pretty serious, so I assume the guy got it real hard.  They requested the amount of damages that was caused to my car so that it could further be substantiated against his negligence and would make it easier for me to collect if it ever want to court (but at this point it's not that important since their insurance company is working with me).

I hope I could find the cell number of the witness -- I want to at least buy a round of drinks to him and his friends.  
If anyone witness some idiot bumping some car while parking or pulling out, I really urge everyone to report it as it is way too easy to get away and these people should learn how to drive and accept responsibility for their actions.