Author Topic: Clicking Relay(s)  (Read 1695 times)

03PassatGuy

• n00balicious
Clicking Relay(s)
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »
I am noob, so if there is a thread that allready discuss this issue, please provide a link.

I have an 03 Passat. I am hearing a clicking noise to the lower left of the stearing column (fuse/relay box area). I have noticed the clicking at several times. When I start the car, I can hear it in correlation with the Supplemental Air Pump. Once the car warms up, I don't hear the noise when at an idle. But I will hear the noise while I am driving. It is not consistent and I do not always hear it while driving.

I have a theory that it may be related to the Fuel Pump Relay (as I have read that the relay is located in this area). I am going to test if it happens when I have a tank of gas as opposed to a full tank.

Maybe someone here can tell me what controls are the SAP relay and the Fuel Pump relay are connected to. Any ideas would be greatly apprciated.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Clicking Relay(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »
I haven't run into any issues with clicking relays. I wish I could be more help, at least this will bump up the thread and hopefully someone else can offer a better response.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »

03PassatGuy

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
Just an update to this issue. I took my car into Tynans and they could hear the clicking noise. After looking into it and running some test and what have ya. They found out that the Brake Booster is not holding the vacuum. Somehow there is a small leak in the booster and so the module that controls the booster is sending a signal to add more preasure. I guess eventually it will affect my brake system where it will make it very difficult to apply my bakes. The service advisor said that the probelm could get worse fairly quick or or could stay the same for a long time. This is just somehting that they have very rarely seen (maybe once a year). I am going to leave it for now and keep an I on it until my next oil change (1300 more miles).

if anyone hear can give me some advice on the Brake Booster and what is a reasonable price to pay for fixing it, please let me know. Tynans has quoted me nearly $800.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
That is an interesting outcome. I actually haven't heard of anyone running into this issue, but it is obviously possible. Randy at Autobahn Premier Service can help you with the parts and even replacement. I just had the entire booster replaced on my 2006 Passat because the dealer messed up the recall work and killed it!

$800 from the dealer does not surprise me though.