Author Topic: Thoughts on the W8?  (Read 1319 times)

90Carat

• Stock
Thoughts on the W8?
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:13:33 PM »
The wifey's Subie is pushing almost 200K miles.  Though I can do a lot of work on that car, I am concerned that we are getting to the point where something will break, and I won't be able to fix it.  There is no way I'm going to dump money into that car.

We have been toying around with what to replace it with.  I have pretty much free reign as to what her final choices will be.  The only restrictions are, no turbo (she only puts the crappiest gas she can find in her car), something reasonably quick, and we would really like AWD.

The W8 4Motions are in a really nice price range, and they come with a lot of nice options.

Does anyone have experience with these motors?  

Thanks,
Tom
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: Thoughts on the W8?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
JDawg owned one for a couple years.  Great car with a killer engine.  HOWEVER, I would not own one without having a warranty on it.  The potential engine repairs and maintenance are massive.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »
Tom, you need to remember that any Audi/VW requires premium. You WILL have problems if you don't run at minimum 91. Other than that, I think the W8 is hot...I was thinking about buying one, but alas, I was drawn to the dark side.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
They are great, but be weary of maintenance and don't count on being able to do W8 maintenance yourself. They are fun though!

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
Oh yeah, that's right JDawg had the one with the 6-speed manual, right? That thing was hawt.
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "jayryan";p="57512"
Tom, you need to remember that any Audi/VW requires premium. You WILL have problems if you don't run at minimum 91. Other than that, I think the W8 is hot...I was thinking about buying one, but alas, I was drawn to the dark side.

Really?  Crap!  I guess the good old days of throwing 85 into the old 1.8 8v are gone.  Though, I am concerned about the gas with any newer car.

Yeah, I am concerned about maintenance as well.  Great info, keep it coming!
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.