Author Topic: Speeding ticket - S#%T!!!!  (Read 3434 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Speeding ticket - S#%T!!!!
« on: January 26, 2004, 07:16:34 PM »
So I got a ticket Friday afternoon…  :oops:

I am going to be appearing in court, thanks to the law that says if you are doing 20 MPH or more over the posted speed limit.  So does anyone know a good site to look up traffic laws in Colorado?  Specifically I need to know about jurisdictional limitations.

You see, the Cop that gave me the ticket was a City Police Officer from Idaho Springs, but he pulled me over 4.5 mile west of the city limits.  I am hoping that he was outside his jurisdiction and I can get the ticket thrown out.  I know I a reaching here but…

So if any of you have some advice (other that slow down :P ) on this matter, please share.

TIA
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 07:27:24 PM »
A long time ago I had a friend with a similar issue, even though he pulled you over in another county, I think it is still legal if the offense took place in his county.

You should be able to go to the State of Colorado website and look up the laws/rules on that shizzle.

Of course my friend was clocked in the wrong county and got out of it.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 07:27:24 PM »

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:06:30 AM »
yeah the police in Idaho Springs are real pricks.
I had an accident on I-70 there and they were rude, not very attentive, and not friendly at all.  They treated me like I caused the accident even before I had a chance to tell them exactly what happened.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:58:02 AM »
UPDATE:

Well so far my calls to the Police department have been met with rude responces and contempt.  they will not answer my questions and keep telling me to talk to the city attorney.

I will fight them and be a PITA untill I get this matter dealt with.  Have I told you all how much I hate COPS?  Well I do.

I guess I should invest in a radar jammer 8)
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 07:50:51 PM »
You know it's bad enough getting a ticket, but when the cops are jerks about it, they have no reason to wonder why public sentiment for them is always low.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 08:00:02 PM »
It is all about the money for the city.  Why else would the City COP be patroling the Interstate and not the streets of Idaho Springs.

I have always said that if I were any dumber I would make a great COP.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Rusty

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 05:33:05 PM »
So, guys, did I ever tell you how Diedra's "over 20" ticket in Walsenburg turned out? (recall her ticket on the way to the GTG).

Lawyer fee - $500 (still cheaper than if she had had to miss work and drive up there two or three times).

Fine - $136.  The lawyer pled not guilty for her over 20 ticket, the DA bargained it down to guilty for 19 over, and the fine was $136 (the fines for over 20 are massive, and IIRC include jail time - don't plead guilty...)
i]AEB Engines have better-flowing heads and a real throttle cable...[/i]

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 09:09:15 PM »
Rusty - Glad to hear it went "well."  Tell Diedra I'll bring another bottle of wine over next time I'm in town so we can celebrate her "victory."

Randy - When do you have to go to court?

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 04:48:23 PM »
I will never plea gilty to anything!  That is a sure fire way to get hosed! :evil:

I have court on the 10th of March.  I am in the process of gathering informatiion and doing some math.  I have a really hard time believing the cop's claim of 80 Mph in a 60.  I was on that turny section of I-70 that cuts throught Idaho Springs.  Thete is no way I was going that wast on a Friday afternoon, with skier traffic in that section.  Further more he chased me for 5.5 miles before he pulled me over, so I think he hit me later on the highway that he is going to admit.

I have a radar detector in the Kraut-Sled and it NEVER WENT OFF.  So I really question this whole deal. 8O

I am going to call the DA and see if there is a standard plea agreement for me to look at.  I have a clear reccord and hopefully that will work in my favor.

As for the fine, well IMHO that is what this ticket is really about, money.  Why else would the city cop be patroling the interstate, other that to add $$ to the coffer of the city.

I will keep you posted.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »
Now not all cops are bad, my father was a police officer for 20+ years and a good one in my mind.

I have had my personal ups and downs with the police, but I am a person that if I did wrong, I pay the fine.  Don't get me wrong, police are people too and they can make mistakes.  Fight it if you think you are right.

Some of you may remeber my last episode with the police and 6th ave. just east of Santa Fe.  I was going over 20mph in a school zone (no kids present thankfully), it was that stretch where the school is right on the street.  Anyway, the officer was actually really nice and asked questions about the Passat and said that it was a nice looking car.  When I went to court on Halloween of all days, the clerks office said that their records showed that I was supposed to have appeared the day before.  We both looked at my ticket and came to the conclusion that the court was wrong.  In the end it may haved worked in my favor, the plea was to drop the points down from 6 to 2 and pay a fine that came to just over 90$ all said and done.  Even the judge commented how rare that senario was.  Maybe I had a good witch with me that night.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 01:59:40 PM »
A sig that says I HATE COPS will not make you popular or get you friends..

Thats just silly...

Why not admit you blew it and got busted..Instead Your pretending the ticket is personal and they are after you?  

I LOVE COPS,  All of them, even the one that got me on newyears... They have the most dangerous job possible, everyday...

I hate getting a ticket.   BIG differance....

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 01:47:51 PM »
My extreme dislike for cops is a result of the following...(and I do believe there are good cops, just too few of them.)

In my experience, police are very good at bending the rules for THEIR benefit.  I all too often see or hear about police violating someone’s right to suit their purpose.  I grew up in a small town, Steamboat, CO and the great majority of the cops there are not looking out for the public interest, only their own.  How often have you seen a cop speeding, with out their lights on?  How many times have you seen a cop flash their lights, run a red light, only to turn them off again?  Ever had your right violated by a cop?  I have seen it all. :x

Specifically to my speeding ticket; why are the city police of Idaho Springs patrolling the Interstate? – It has nothing to do with protecting people; it has to do with Money.  There is a 1.1 mile stretch of the Interstate that goes through the city limits, where the speed limit is dropped, only for this section, and the city loves to give tickets.  IMO the speed limit is dropped to have a better chance of catching an unsuspecting driver going fast.  The cop chased me almost 5 miles.  Was it because I posed such a huge threat to the public with my speed? No, it was so he could give me a ticket and make money for the city.  If he was trying to protect people, he would have radioed ahead and not chased me at a high rate of speed for that distance.

Was I speeding, sure I was.  Was I going as fast as he said, where he said, I seriously doubt it.  I will make my case and see what happens.

Just for the record, I do not have a problem with cops that are doing their job, protecting their community and also remembering that people have rights.  Cops are just are as responsible for protecting our rights are we are of following the law.

I now will step down from the soap box.
 :)
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 01:54:16 PM »
No reason to justify your opinions to anyone. ;)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 02:31:40 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
No reason to justify your opinions to anyone. ;)

Ditto

I can also remember in California staring into the mirrored "CHiPs" wanabe glasses of a CHP telling him he was full of $hit and he finally backed down and gave me a warning.  Good cop, bad cop it is a crapshoot.  Too bad that some cops either choose to be assess or are forced by their superiors to be one.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »
I tend to get the FTO's

no conversation....just the ticket.

If you would go ahead and get a I hate cops bumper sticker and paste it on your car I think everything will be just perfect for you...

When folks have friends and family on the force....Why bother exsplaining an insensitivity?
it just looks worse...

Is hatred a value you want to project for rmcb5?  Prolly not..

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 02:59:18 PM »
OK guys, play nice. Locked.