Author Topic: Froze my iPod!  (Read 834 times)

TurboDub

• Modded
Froze my iPod!
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »
Ok so first a little background...

My name is Al, and I am an iPod addict. [All] Hello Al!  :lol:

I got it a few years ago...It's a 20gb non-color screen model (4th gen I think?) I listen to it at home, in the car, and at work- so it is pretty much running almost anytime I am awake.

Well last week the unthinkable happened, the HD started getting funky on me! It would not play at all, only lighting up and saying I needed to go to apple.com/support or something like that. I could clearly hear new clicking and "unhealthy" HD noises...Not good. So I tried restoring it with iTunes, and then tried various disk doctor type things to hopefully get it running somehow...Well none of it worked -It simply would not play.  :cry:  iTunes kept telling me it has detected a corrupt iPod that must be restored...Each time I'd go through the drill and it would say it was corrupt each time I connected it. So $350 dollars later, I finally broke down and got a new 80GB model which-Needless to say I am sooo stoked with. (Though I really wanted to stretch my old one out until the next gen version is released)  

So anyway...some of you may be familiar with the "trick" that says if you have a HD fail on you, and you've lost ALL hope, try sticking it in a tupperware type container and freezing it in your freezer overnight. Well for Sh!ts and giggles, I gave it a shot with my lifeless iPod...

After a deep freeze overnight and thorough thaw session. I'll be a sunavabeech....the damn thing works again!!!  :lol: I am already severely attached to my 80gb video pod, but I am still shocked that the freezing "trick" actually worked out for me. Most likely it will fail again in the not too distant future, but for now it is up and running like a champ!! At least enoguh for me to get my files off of like my resume etc...

So I just thought I'd share my experience with you all in case you come across the same problem one day.  8)

(Of course, please only try this as a LAST resort and at your own risk!)
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Froze my iPod!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
Mmmm...frozen iPods

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »
Nice fix! I've heard of that but never tried it. Now you have 2 ipods, how cool is that? I've been wanting to pick up another one so I could keep the current pod in the car (or vice versa) then try my luck with loading rockbox or some other linux on the other.
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM