Author Topic: 02 Passat Wagon GLX AWD  (Read 2097 times)

FFRAY16

• n00balicious
02 Passat Wagon GLX AWD
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

Hi all I am a new member and would like to pick some brains out there. I am a new owner of a 2002 Passat GLX V6 and am interested in past experiances with brake upgrades, rim sizes,tire sizes and chipping to start.If anyone has any experiance/ advice on any of these topics please write back.Thanks in advance Ray

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: 02 Passat Wagon GLX AWD
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »
did not own a glx 4 motion, but as far as brake upgrades, if you are interested in performance, you can get decent upgrades with just a decent set of pads and rotors.   That is what I have always done for my cars, both track and street.  If you are looking for a big brake kit, BBK, for the bling factor, well, there are a ton of options.

As for your rims, depends on what you want, just stating a rim size is very vague.  17" is a great option as there are more affordable rim choices as well as tire choices in that tire size, 18" will suffer more road damage with your tire size as there is less side wall to protect your rim.  Larger rims also mean more weight, usually...which can cause an already sluggish car to be more sluggish.

Chipping you won't see much for gains on a normally aspirated car, best bet for performance is suspension upgrades, rims and tires, and brakes.  But that is just my opinion.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
Welcome, O3Indigo pretty much hit all the points well. In terms of big hp gains you are really limited to going the route of a supercharger which runs about $3K IIRC.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:33:45 AM »
welcome.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Trogdor

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:36:38 AM »
Welcome. Do your suspension first. If you do anything over 17" in wheel size, you really should lower your car or you'll look funny.
ogaro B6 A4

FFRAY16

• n00balicious
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the input. With the brakes I was just thinking of installing a better pad and possibly slotted and drilled rotors . Not ready to go big brake. As far as tires/rims not extreme just to dress up a bit 17's seem to be the most economical first step.And finally the chip I was just curious if anyone had any experiance with any chips I had one in my diesel truck( I know its a different type of engine)and it helped a little with mileage and speed a little. Are there any recomended sites out there? Ive tried the links, I'm just trying to gather info before I zero in on mods.Thanks again for the input I cant wait to get some miles in my Passat.

Trogdor

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
Quote from: "FFRAY16";p="57718"
Thanks for the input. With the brakes I was just thinking of installing a better pad and possibly slotted and drilled rotors . Not ready to go big brake. As far as tires/rims not extreme just to dress up a bit 17's seem to be the most economical first step.And finally the chip I was just curious if anyone had any experiance with any chips I had one in my diesel truck( I know its a different type of engine)and it helped a little with mileage and speed a little. Are there any recomended sites out there? Ive tried the links, I'm just trying to gather info before I zero in on mods.Thanks again for the input I cant wait to get some miles in my Passat.

Check with Randy- a chip on the V6 won't necessarily give you better milage or power, but it will in all probability change the way the car behaves in regards to torque, throttle response and power behavior. Check with Randy at Autobahn and see what he can hook you up with in the way of GIAC programming.

I have a set of 17" Audi Sport 5-spokes I'll sell you. Shummer had them on his Passat and they looked real nice. I just don't care for the weight. Here they are on the Audi:
ogaro B6 A4